“Wow! Fabulous holiday in paradise.” 5 of 5 stars

Diamonds Thudufushi
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   P.O. Box 2019   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Chichester, England, United Kingdom
“Wow! Fabulous holiday in paradise.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

We have just returned from a fabulous 16 night stay in Thudufushi. ( 3rd - 19th October.) Where do you start? From arrival at the jetty until we left, everything was just wonderful. We were met from the seaplane by a young lady from guest relations (sorry can't remember her name), but we received a very warm welcome. Philip, the Resort Manager was waiting on the jetty to introduce himself. A nice touch. We were transported by buggy to our water villa (No 15 on the sunset side) where our welcome drinks were waiting for us. Wow - Amazing! We were checked in from the seating area on our decking. After a quick walk through the villa we were taken to the overwater restaurant for lunch. I will try not to repeat what previous reviewers have said about the water villas, suffice to say they are totally amazing, everything I had hoped for and more. Really good facilities. The queen sized bed was just so comfortable, with good quality linen. We enjoyed breakfast on the outside decking every day, which was delivered with a smile.

All staff on the island are really lovely. From Philip the manager, the guest relation team, the waiters in the restaurants, the bar staff, room boys, buggy drivers, animation team - there is nothing that is too much trouble for them and they all go out of their way to make you feel special.

A special mention goes to the Dive School who made my husband's holiday by presenting him with a certificate underwater on his 100th dive! Thanks for organising that. He also did his advanced PADI whilst there. A big thanks to Stefano. A memorable holiday for him - in particular the personal video of one of his dives with Nico, an Italian buddy of a similar age. This video was played to everyone that night, which made all concerned feel like movie stars for the evening!

The weather was mainly good, with lots of lovely sunshine. We had a few overcast, cloudy days, lots of rain and wind overnight, but the end of the holiday was again wall to wall sunshine!

We met lots of lovely people from all over the world, through the Dive School, the restaurants and the evening entertainment. A big hello to Nico & Lella, Rob & Emma, Jean-Marco & Don and Edwina & Ken (alias Callum). Missing you all.

There is a good selection of cocktails and a wide range of drinks. I personally don't drink very much, but did enjoy the odd cocktail on an evening, all served by the smiling, friendly, efficient bar team.

The only small criticism that we would make would be that the menu in the overwater restaurant was a bit repetitious for us with not a great deal of choice, but you do have the option to eat in the buffet restaurant, which we did in the second week. We found there was much more choice there and personally enjoyed the change. On speaking to other UK guests, they thought the same, in fact some opted to eat in the buffet for the duration of their stay. That was the only thing that we were slightly disappointed in, and speaking with Philip (resort manager), he is aware of this and is looking at ways of improving this. I must add at this point that this would not put me off going back. I would return tomorrow given the chance!

The island itself is very pretty, albeit small. You can walk around it in about ten minutes. The reef was quite good for snorkelling and can be easily accessed from the water villa steps. There is a good range of excursions on offer for those who wanted to go on them, with sightings of Manta and Whale Sharks being reported. My husband dives most days and I personally was there to relax, de-stress and chill out which is exactly what I did. Bliss!

To summarise - This was our 9th trip to the Maldives and for me, one of the best. I know it is not the cheapest, but the extra touches such as breakfast on the deck, nice wine in the mini bar, good quality coffee in the room, Apple Mac in room, free laundry service etc.... are lovely. I felt special from the minute we arrived until the minute we left. Everyone is treated the same whether you choose to spend money on extra activities or not. Keep up the personal approach Philip and team. It works and I can't wait to come back.

Room Tip: Water villas on Sunset side get the sun all day and had a lovely breeze.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at diamonds thudufushi between October 7th & 21st the weather was great most days with just a couple of days of overcast weather but still very hot, it would rain very heavy some nights and would normally wake you up.
Seaplane arrival we chose the seaplane as this was the quickest way of getting to the island roughly 30 minutes then you would be dropped of on a raft about 300 yards off shore this was quite a surreal moment looking at the tiny island from the ocean, then they send a boat out to collect you with a welcome comiited on board when you arrive on the island the manager and staff are there to greet you with cocktails a cool towels.
We were then taken to our room where our cases were there a quick introduction to the island followed, we were then left to get settled in.
The food was great if you can't find something you like here you must be very fussy eaters!
The drink is plentiful and the bar staff like to give you a lot of spirits in your drink and around 5 fresh pizza and sandwiches are served at the bar

Rooms

there are plenty of power points in the room including one English 3 pin socket the aircon is powerful and you will need it at night, and you will love the private outside showers they are amazing
Mini bar included
Digital safe
iPod docking station
There is no TV in the room which was great if you can't do without a tv there is a room by reception
Free laudery service but bring a travel iron they only seem to wash the clothes

The Island

The Island is tiny I mean 5 minutes to work through and 10 to walk around they have a doctor on site who gave me some medication for a problem ear I had. The staff well they can't do enough for you the Manager Phillip could not do enough for us just ask and he will do his best to sort things out for you, all the entertainment staff are very knowledgeable about the reefs and the island I would recommend trying a few excursions the whale shark was amazing and the sunset snorkelling was great, there are plenty of free WIFI spots around bars and reception

This is a super place to come and yes I would defintly stay here again some days you just want see anybody
A Fantastic place to come
Thanks everybody who maid our holiday big thumbs up to all at Thudufushi

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

We visited the island in June 2012 (having finished my review and being new to this, the trip advisor button only goes back to Nov 12!), during a particularly stressful time. We were travelling out of season so did not experience any delays with our sea plane journey, though it was staggeringly warm on our return journey. It is incredibly romantic to arrive by sea plane to a pontoon overlooking such a beautiful place. We chose the resort due to the clean lines and lack of thatch! We had an overwater villa which was perfect, the only down side being a lack of bath, but this was more than made up for by an amazing shower which could be reached from the deck and bathroom. Several shower heads and vast amount of space. The deck was huge comprising a seating and dinning area which had blinds to pull down in case of storms. The lower deck had two sun beds overlooking the ocean, with steps going down to the beautiful waters enabling snorkelling close to the villa. The steps were slippery, so care was needed not to to fall. The room was beautiful, very bright with clean lines and you could wake up and watch the sea planes arriving - wonderful. Afternoon tea was a lovely touch and the villa deck was perfect for yoga.
The food in the over water villa was amazing and we had the same table and waiter for the entire holiday which was lovely. The deck surrounding the restaurant had large sofa's so you could enjoy a pre-dinner drink and after dinner night cap. The sizes of the drinks were very generous, so beware! I would recommend the main restaurant for breakfast as it had more choice.
They had a weekly beach BBQ, which was very romantic - eating under the stars on the beach, and the food was amazing. No pressure to mix with others, though you do naturally make friends.
This is a very small and quiet island, not for those wanting a lot of buzz, though there was entertainment in the main restaurant, we only visited during a storm and had a great time with new friends.
We took part in the daily snorkeling and their professionals were very patient with showing us beginners the ropes. The reef was perfect for beginners like us, but I suspect not challenging for more advanced snorkelling. A lot of trips were offered and some guests partook in daily diving trips. I saw a turtle when out with friends and small sharks when on a trip. Rays were also visible close to the reef on walks to the restaurant
Having travelled fairly extensively, we both agree that this was the most perfect, stress free holiday we have ever had.

Room Tip: Overwater villas were stunning.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

We stayed here between 27th August - 5th September in the Overwater Villa, no 18. I would highly recommend anyone visiting the Maldives to select this resort and our villa, which had the sun for almost all of the day. We also saw the very best of the Maldivian sunsets and on an evening, lying on the terrace, you are surrounded by all the stars - hardly any light pollution!

The rooms are immaculate and very chic, given that this is a predominantly italian resort then I would expect no less!

The Overwater restaurant is fine dining, with very simple dishes which can compliment any diet (from slimming world to the Atkins!) because they tend to keep carbs as side dishes, which is very helpful to those watching their waistline. For those who dont care, then there are 4 courses to choose from anyway, one of which is a great big bowl of pasta. You can also eat in the main beach restaurant which is a buffet and beach barbecue, which we opted for every other night.

The great thing about dining here, whether it be in the main or overwater restaurant, is that you are always allocated your own table and waiter throughout your stay, and so there are no hassles - everything is very relaxed.

The entertainment is generally pub quizzes, Wii competitions & games, and every Monday they have a marine biology talk. There are several marine biologists on the island and so if you want to learn more you can speak to them and they also take you on snorkelling trips to find whalesharks, manta, and pretty reefs, etc. 2 whalesharks were spotted this week, mantas were spotted here last week (even though both of these creatures are supposed to be out of season), and a pod of dolphins were spotted swimming round the island, although they tend to stay away and dont come in to see the guests - why would they when they are wild??!

There are a few black and white tipped sharks, of which I swam past one quite large one (half the size of me and I'm 5ft 3in!) but they dont bother you and tend to stay away. There have been no reported shark attacks in the maldives, so nothing to worry about, but if you are stupid enough to try and drag them out of the water by their tail to have your photo taken then I would expect to be met with a certain amount of hostility - yes some people really are that stupid!

There is also a dive centre here, which can be a little pricey, but really the snorkelling is cheaper and just as good.

Last year, we stayed in the Beach Bungalow which I also really liked, because you have your terrace, your own sun loungers, coffee table, a beautiful outdoor shower. The only thing that I didnt like was that there are lots of ants, but the rooms are cleaned 2-3 times a day and so this is more to do with the geographical location, and being in the Maldives! Because its so clean, there are hardly any mosquitos, and I was never bitten once during my stay. The overwater villas dont have this problem as they are not situated on the island, being out on the ocean. If you have small children then these villas are not suitable for anyone under age 8 ( I think thats the correct age but may be wrong).

The resort has a house reef, where you can see lots of tropical fish, little (non aggressive) sharks, an eagle ray, and turtles.

All in all, I would definitely return to Thudufushi because it is paradise. There are no neighbouring atolls that cause offence (fish factories, etc, you are also nowhere near Mali).

The weather for most of the time has been very nice, but if its your first time in the Maldives then you will be better off visiting between Jan-Mar, because we had 3 days of cloud and thunderstorms, which was a little disappointing but this is the weather during the rainy seasons.

Tip: Generally, as a rule of thumb I would never stay at any resorts which can be accessed by speedboat because you will be near the international airport, the eyesore which is Mali, and smelly fishfactories.

Thudufushi is 30 mins seaplane transfer - in paradise!

Enjoy! x

Room Tip: Any villa or bungalow on the sunset part of the island, opposite Innafushi.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Milan, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

We spent 2 weeks for our honeymoon and choose the watervilla for such very special and unique event. Overall the place is fantastic, the water villa is very large, the sea is wonderful, the staff very gentle so we were happy about our choice. If we would come again we'd probably go for a beach bungalow and keep some days at the end just to experience a water villa. The overwater restaurant reserved for the water villas is far away from the quality and choice of food of the main restaurant (Italian chef) and this is a pity as its location is very suggestive; in the end we always went in the main restaurant but in this way we didn't exploit the served dinner that we payed for. During August the resort is always overbooked, also due to the high number of special non paying guests in this period, so it is unlikely that you can stay 2 weeks in the same villa. If you can have holidays in Jan-March it would be for sure preferable to go in this period. A special mention to Samir, the friendly cart driver who is always smiling making everybody in good humour.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Alessandria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

We went to the thudufushi island for our honeymoon in July
Yes it's pricey, and you can find cheaper islnds, but the money is there to see. It was well worth every penny.
The whole island was amazing from the snorkelling staright from the villa itself or beach, right through to the food variety and staff.

As July is within their winter season we was well aware there was a high possibly of rainy days, we had the odd down pours which we watched roll in, down pour and move along, out of our second week we had only 3 days of 'decent' weather, on the other 4 we had 19/20 hours of very scary, very strong storms ( we cannot complain, as we chose to visit in the winter season)
We stayed in the water villa (sunset side) the storms physically shook our villa, causing leaks in the roof, it was scary, but was also resolved before the evening was over.
The only down side I found was there wasn't a very good 'essentials supply' if you happen to forget something from home it is very unlikely you will find a replacement in the 'shop'....... With no other way of getting it from anywhere else, if you forget something you have to do without or rely on the generosity of the staff (as I did, I forgot my hair grips, bobble ....but one of the staff leant me her bobble until I left)

The coral reef is amazing and cannot be put into words, the beaches are combed daily, the whole island is amazingly clean

It was out of this world !!

Room Tip: The water villa's are amazing and I recommend them over the beach bungalows (request sunset side...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
New Forest National Park, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

My husband and I spent five days on Thudufushi having transferred from Diamonds Atharuga, the sister resort, where we had spent a week. We stayed in a water villa (no25) the one at the very end of the boardwalk which shares an infinity pool with integral Jacuzzi with another villa.
The facility was great but I think the single water villas offer more privacy as they don't have a shared sun terrace. Unlike Atharuga, you could not book a sunrise or sunset villa which didn't matter as, in June, we only saw one magical sunset. We spent much or our day on the beach and did not swim off our sun deck because at this time of year there is quite a swell and also a fair current running. Snorkelling out from the vilas in the lagoon to the deep side of the reef is not for the faint-hearted and we preferred to snorkel off the beach on the lee side of the island. As with Atharuga, the water villas are wonderful but I think we would opt for a beach villa next time as you are only feet away from the shoreline and there is nature all around you. There can be some fairly powerful storms in June and being out on a water villa with wind and rain lashing and waves crashing under the villa can be a tad scary, particularly when you are half a kilometre offshore. The facilities in the water villa were excellent although the plug did not fit in the sink, the wifi was often on the blink rendering the Apple Mac a bit redundant. The standard of cleanliness throughout the island was excellent, the staff were wonderful. In particular, the buggy boys just appeared like magic to take you to and from the island if you were disinclined to walk. The water villas have their own a la carte restaurant which is also over the water. We ate there on the first night and were disappointed to be put right by the entrance to the kitchen and waiter's station even though there were many other unoccupied tables. As a result, we had waiters whizzing past us on both sides carrying dishes to other tables and our conversation was interrupted by the waiters chatting by their station when they were not serving other guests. Our waiter (name escapes me) was the worst member of staff we encountered on both Atharuga and Thudufushi. My husband asked for swordfish to be cooked rare. Our main courses duly arrived and he had just picked up his knife and fork when his plate was unceremoniously snatched from under his nose as the waiter realised that it was obviously not cooked to his request. For the rest of our stay we ate in the buffet restaurant on the island where our waiter gave us first class service which we could not fault. Khalid, the bar manager, was also very efficient and good fun. One evening I had the misfortune to fall down as a result of a loose floorboard in the bar which had been covered by a chair. As we were a crowd the chair was moved and one of the gang noticed the floorboard and pointed it out to the customer service staff who said they would report it. Unfortunately, I fell on my recently replaced knee joint and was quite concerned that I could have caused some damage. Khalid was very apologetic and assured us that the board was being replaced the next morning (it was). Stephen, the resort manager, also sought us out when he heard about the incident and offered us a free excursion by way of apology. These things happen in the best of hotels and I was satisfied with the action taken and, thankfully, my knee is fine. The quality of the food is excellent and the all inclusive package was first class with known brands of alcohol served, very good wines and even the medical treatment was included in the package (I had a jellyfish sting when snorkelling and I erroneously put vinegar on it which is not the recommended treatment these days and it was not clearing up so I went to the clinic where an excellent Italian doctor sorted it out). I'm a bit disappointed that we did not go on the whale shark trip as they saw whale sharks on both occasions. However, I think that I would not have enjoyed the 4-5 hours in a noisy and bumpy speedboat. We went on a snorkelling excursion which was well run. It is a shame that there are patches of dead coral reef throughout the Maldives as a result of El Nino and climate change. However, there are many projects in place to re-populate the reefs. There were still large areas which were really colourful. The range of fish at Thudufushi was amazing and we saw eagle rays, reef sharks, moray eels and turtles very close to the shore as well as a plethora of colourful reef fish. Because of the season, the water was often cloudy with plankton but when the water was clear there was a definite wow factor. We had the opportunity to compare two resorts owned by the same hotel chain and I have to say from a customer service and staffing point of view, Atharuga was slightly better than Thudufushi but both resorts are magical. The customer relations team on Atharuga have more contact with the guests than on Thudufushi. Victor on Thudufushi reception stood out among all other customer relations staff - he was excellent. I do not have any other Maldives resorts to compare these islands to but I do know that the Maldives is a special and wonderful place to visit and that Thudufushi or Atharuga would certainly not disappoint.

Room Tip: Water Villa 25 shares is located at the end of the boardwalk almost half a km from the island. Elec...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Diamonds Thudufushi? Share your experiences!