“Heaven” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Alcantara Resort

You added Alcantara Resort to your Saves list
Alcantara Resort
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via Colonnello Francesco Mannino 7, 98030 Gaggi, Sicily, Italy   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Gaggi
Maastricht, The Netherlands
“Heaven”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

In a few weeks time we will go for the third time to stay at Alcantara Resort. The Hotel is absolutely great. Beautifull, well equiped rooms in little buildings in a beautifull landscaped garden and a great pool. The breakfast is very extensive accompanied with great coffee or cappuchino. Dinner is also great. But the real treat of this lovely place is it's people. Everybody who works at Alcantara is very kind and helpfull, so you can enjoy and relax! Going back there is like coming home.

Room Tip: Rooms are al great!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Hamilton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

I spent two weeks at the Alcantara in September, 2013. This stay was my second stay in two years. I am a single sixty-six year old Canadian male traveler and I have traveled quite extensively in Italy in the past four years. This hotel is, by far, my favourite of the numerous similarly priced hotels at which I've stayed.

The major reason for my rating is the good nature of the people who own and operate the facility. They all have an understanding of their roles and requirements but, go far beyond those roles by demonstrating a genuine interest and concern in and for the patrons of the hotel.

The hotel is ideally located for my particular desires and preferences for recreational travel. Among other things, I want to use a car. The Alcantara is outside of the traffic crush of larger Sicilian towns and makes everyday driving (for a North American) much less stressful. There is ample, free and easy parking at the Alcantara. The hotel is about a ten minute drive from a junction with the major Sicilian highway system that will take one to any part of the island in a matter of hours. Taormina, a jewel of a tourist destination, is fifteen minutes away.

The physical and service aspects of the hotel reflect the personality of the owners. They are gregarious, fun loving, and humorous while being precise and hard working. The hotel is anything but "stiff". The rooms and the grounds are spotless. The food served in the restaurant is delicious. The place makes for "good times".

I really hope to get back there soon.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
NYC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

Having travelled in Europe frequently, I'm used to thinking "what will be wrong with this hotel? The shower? the breakfast? the bed?" and this is one of those places where everything was beyond perfect.
Our room was more than large enough with a fantastic bed and lush sheets, the shower was large and came with excellent amenities, and everything was spotlessly clean.
The grounds are extremely well manicured, and the infinity pool is beautiful (they have a spot in there where you can sit on built in benches and enjoy some whirlpool jets). We also enjoyed playing some tennis on our last day (the court can be reserved so check with the front desk).
We also enjoyed dinner here one night, and the food was only surpassed by the service. Truly, the best past of staying here was the service. Everyone was so friendly and accommodating, beyond anything I've experienced in Europe or even the US!
In addition, there was the greatest breakfast. Fresh cut fruit, fruits in syrup, cakes, breads, yogurt, cheese, fresh ricotta, cereal, fresh squeezed blood orange juice, and of course the espresso bar which served us one of our favorite cappuccinos.

Lastly, I have read some past reviews, and I believe that they have made significant improvements as we had a fantastic AC unit and wifi was free (although I would recommend finding a way to have free wifi on the entire grounds of the hotel, we had it in our room and in a few select spots).

We had walked in the day before and were very lucky that they had availability for the 2 nights we had left on our honeymoon. Thank you so much for making the end of our trip so memorable, and we hope ot be back one day.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
St. Petersburg, Russia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

Hello!

I would like to share with you my emotions regarding one charming hotel which is called "Alcantara Resort" and in which I have already stayed for three times!! I have just come back from Sicily and would like to make a new review. My last review described the hotel at all and this time I prefer to pay more attention to the staff. They are really high-educated persons in the field of hospitality. My special gratitude to the nice charming and kind-hearted girl Melissa, which works on reception. I have never met such hospitable, helpful, positive, hardworking and responsive person on this position. She really knows her job and what is more.. she loves it a lot! When both these factors are united, the best result is guaranteed. Melissa has an individual approach to the clients, which is definitely important in her sphere. In my opinion her work is perfect! I also would like to add that I appreciate and feel gratitude towards Luigi (regarding this outstanding person I can write a special review as I need more space to describe him), Assunta, Angelo, Emanuela and many others!
I recommend you to choose "Alcantara Resort" if you plan to spent your holiday or any other kind of trip on Sicily. It is definitely worth visiting!! ))

Maria

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Lelystad, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

The modestly sized resort on beautifully kept grounds was a wonderful place for a holiday. Staff was very friendly and helpful. We would definitely suggest the Alcantara Resort to anyone looking to explore this corner of such a beautiful island.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Winchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

So good we did a video (Utube link attached). http://youtu.be/INy6GubLb40
We, David and Jane, are recently notorious for arranging bad bad holidays (see Maldives holiday this year – Medufushi a run down sad resort criminally mis-sold to us as luxury by Kuoni). This time we booked Sicily independently because I (Jane) thought it would be a pretty little island because it is attached to Italy … wrong… but the Alcantara more than made up for the disappointment of finding a sad, deteriorated Recession blighted island which had overpriced itself to capitalise on foreign travellers. You almost have to pay to breathe … kerching. But less of that because we do not want to put you off Alcantara – the jewel in the flat cap! Sicily was worth the trip just for being at the Alcantara.

Thanks to Carmelo del Amore (Caramel of Love), Bruno and Fabrizio, our waiters, who added the main ingredient to our enjoyment of this lovely hotel, and Gorgeous Melissa and Angelo and the invisible ones we did not meet, this was a wonderful seven days and, if we ever wanted to lock into a hotel and not go out, this would be the one. By the way Bruno and Fabrizio, I did mean to tip you, I owe you next time we come cos you were all fantastic but I did fall in love with The Caramel of Love aka Joey!

Culture tourists ignore this as there are places to see – Taormina, Syracuse, Etna etc but they involve long knuckle ride journeys through grubby crowded resorts and terrifying motorways, so for the perfect holiday, I would stay at Alcantara by its super designed pool within lush pretty gardens only to venture out for a stroll to feed the poor sun-baked horses up the road.

What made this holiday fabulous for us as well as the aforementioned super staff were like-minded June holiday makers who we got to know (all Dutch), the super super two tier accommodation which was so well thought out, the peace and tranquillity of the lovely clean pool which changed colours at night whilst we sat around dining and the uber-wonderful food and gorgeous wines as recommended by super sommelier Bruno, plus we were blessed with perfect weather. Carmela and Bruno you could give up the day job and go into stand up comedy!

We thoroughly recommend the Alcantara resort and once more thanks to Carmelo, Bruno, Fabrizio, Melissa and Angelo and we wish you a fantastic season. Love Jane and Mister Dave xx
P.S. did you ever solve the mystery of the yellow water?

Room Tip: 1st floor apartments for couples, ground floors for families
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Bath, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

We very much enjoyed our stay at the Alcantara, but 5-6 days is probably the right length of time.

The pluses:
+ Great breakfast
+ Generally helpful and friendly staff (although the front desk clerk when we arrived didn't help too much with the bags - tricky on the gravel paths to the rooms, or advise on switching on the aircon etc.)
+ Fantastic Pool
+ Pleasant environment, well landscaped
+ Small, intimate size
+ Good communication by e-mail during booking process.

Room for improvement:
- Very little wardrobe space (or even hangers)
- Annoying to have to pay for Wifi by the hour
- Lunch menu is limited to salads, toastie or sandwich
- Rooms a little cramped
- Would benefit from small things like hair conditioner being provided
- Very little in the town of Gaggi itself. We used the services of the driver from the airport to explore Naxos etc.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Been to Alcantara Resort? Share your experiences!