Rara Avis was one of the most interesting and unusual places we have every been. We wanted a remote jungle adventure and we definitely got it! The three hour tractor ride is as uncomforatable as everyone says, but how else would you get 15 kilometers into the jungle?
The whole attitude and approach to Rara Avis is unlike any other jungle adventure. They know that it is muddy, rainy, and somewhat uncomfortable and they don't try to apologize for it. That is part of the charm and fascination of the place.
We arrived at the requested hour of 8:30 am for our tractor ride only to find that the tractor was stuck in the mud and was running almost two hours late. We took the time to go to a local restaurant for breakfast where we watched beautiful, exotic birds at the bird feeder.
When we finally were on our way, the tractor broke down about half way. It took four men laying under the tractor in the mud for almost a half an hour to fix it. But, no worry. We were in the jungle and that is life in this far away place.
We arrived after 2 pm and ate a delicious lunch and went up to our room. It was small, dark and damp with very thin mattresses and very very flimsy towels. But we didn't expect more, because we were far out in a remote jungle paradise. We were surrounded by the most beautiful, exotic, thick lush vegetation. It rained and rained and rained, but we still loved every second.
Our guide, Wilberth was fascinating and charming. He wasn't slick or polished, but he knew his way around and could find tiny frogs hidden deep in the bromeliads. He led us around through thick mud in the pouring rain and went swimming with our kids in the waterfall swimming hole.
Rara Avis is definitely not for everyone. It is rough, rugged, wet and muddy but it is one of the most peaceful, fascinating places you will ever get to.
- Also Known As:
- Rara Avis Rainforest Lodge & Reserve Hotel
- Rara Avis Rainforest Lodge & Reserve Hotel Braulio Carrillo National Park
- Rara Avis Rainforest Lodge And Reserve
- Rara Avis Rainforest Lodge & Reserve Costa Rica/Sarapiqui - Horquetas
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Rara Avis introduced the concept of ecotourism as a conservation tool to the region in 1983, in which nature-based tourism is now the second largest industry. We preserve 12km2 and 20km of trails, we guarantee you the most authentique and unique experience on Costa Rica rainforest. The lodge is designed to maintain the feeling of being deep and isolated in the forest, while offering basic but comfortable rooms and excellent traditional food. We maintain the sense of the real Costa Rica of many years ago, while offering daily guided walks in which our resident guides explain how the rainforest works. In good weather it is possible to swim at the base of our pristine waterfalls. Other guests simply prefer relax in hammocks on the private balconies of their rooms. This a place for serious naturalists and those who like to have a learning experience on the rainforest. ... more less