“Get Away From It All at Moxon's Beach Club” 5 of 5 stars

You added Moxons Beach Club to your Saves list
Moxons Beach Club
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Boscobel, Jamaica   |
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Boscobel
“Get Away From It All at Moxon's Beach Club”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

We arrived very late after a four-hour odyssey from Montego Bay via Appleton Estate. Even though the hour was late we were well received, greeted personally by the owner, and upgraded to two great rooms. The morning can be spent sitting on the balcony with a great view of the ocean, the fishermen, and the seabirds. The dining room offers a great breakfast. It takes a while but that's kind of the point. What's the hurry?
The place and the pace really grows on you after a few days (we stayed four). It feels like you are a guest at a friend's beach-side mansion, mahogany stairs and an old bookcase add to the ambiance, and that any moment a guy will order a martini from the bar, shaken not stirred, and say, "The name's Bond...James Bond." There's even a nearby beach called James Bond's beach. This is a great place if you want to get away from it all, and Ocho Rios is just a short, five dollar cab ride away. We'll be back!

Room Tip: Get an ocean view if you can.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

The lavish but quant hotel From the James Bond movie took my breath away.
$25ea way from MBJ airport and 1 1/2 hours to Resort. Our gracious host and Owner Ms Mack gave us a warm welcome upon arrival to Moxons with some sparkling water and a cool damp washcloth.
Most rooms wifi
June through November rainy season.
Has a great Snorkeling beach

• Stayed November 2012
Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

I recommended the Moxons Beach Club to a couple of friends almost two years ago. The hotel is only about three miles from the beautiful home of my dear friends where my family and I stayed. This time I needed total relaxation after a fast pace year. I checked in Aught 31 to September 4, 2012. It was like I struck gold, the staff was amazingly friendly and attentive to my every needs. The charm of the hotel with its own private beach, kayaks, music videos at the pool at night and star gazing. My room (405) on the top floor over looks the entire beach area, spectacular view. Coincidentally, it appears that the Moxons is under the orbit of several satellites, I counted 7 satellites in one night sitting on the deck star gazing. Since my stay was the slow season, I was given even more special attention and that's great when ordering a drink at the beach. The Moxons has a special charm that exudes character. I did venture into Ocho Rios and that's a quick eighteen minutes and about $120 Jamaican. It's a boutique hotel without frills of an all inclusive but a joy to experience just like the tasty pomegranates on property. Total R & R.

Room Tip: Room 405 has the best view with its adjacent room. Also room 102, closer to the beach and dining, i...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Pembroke Pines, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

My husband & I got married and honeymooned at Moxon's Beach Club. We had a beautiful king sized room with a private balcony overlooking the most spectacular ocean view. The added touch of flower petals on our bed and flowers spelling out Just Married was unexpected and beautiful. The staff was very accommodating and pleasant and the owner/manager, Johanne went out of her way to make everything just right. We loved that it is a small boutique room, tucked away made it even better - romantic, quiet and special. We go back to celebrate our anniversary every year and get more flower petals. We've found a home at Moxons.

Room Tip: Most rooms face the ocean but the ones higher up have spectacular views. Get one with a private balc...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Hood River, Oregon
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

My mistake for trying to over plan Jamaica, but..

We knew be arriving late so I asked our resort to recommend a place with a bed and AC that was cheap and close.

the cab arrived at 10pm to a completely dark hotel surrounded by iron gates and reeking of burning wood (so much it made us cough). I looked around and understood the need for the iron gates. I approached the gate and a man silently emerged from the shadows. Checking in I said. Without a word he unlocked and opened the gate and pointed to a lighted room.

A very pleasant -- even exuberant -- woman checked us in, pointed to our room and proudly told us she had even turned the light on. What she should have done was turn the AC on. She told us the bar -- darkened and empty -- was open for another hour, but we wanted to get to the safety of our room ASAP.

Plainly spoken, the room was a dump. The windows were open to let all the heat, humidity and smoke in, there was mold at the bottom of doors to the point where the wood was crumbling. the bed was cement, the linen frayed, I would not remove my socks on the floor.

But the worst part was the AC. it was HOT. It took awhile to figure out how to use the split system and even then it kicked out warmish air. For a small room, it wasn't until 2 or 3 am before the room was below 80 degrees. after traveling all day, it was a nightmare.

We had the cab ready to pick us up first thing the next morning. We took a brief walk to see the ocean -- amazing view -- and a very pleasant woman talked us into breakfast -- "and we have free kayaks too" - even though the cab was coming in 10 minutes. While breakfast cooked we took a look at the small pool -- covered in a layer of scum -- and again marveled at the view. The taxi came before the food and we rushed out to meet it before it even came to a complete stop.

I think we saved maybe $80 by spending the night there -- but lost sleep, several pounds in water weight and parts of our mind. This is not a resort by any stretch of the imagination, I'm not sure I'd even call it a "club". I apologize to the staff for being so harsh in my review, but yikes!!!

Room Tip: Have staff turn on AC
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
calljojamaica, Front Office Manager at Moxons Beach Club, responded to this review, September 14, 2012
How very Sad & surprising!
These guests arrived as we were closing down for the day. At that late hour we were not sure they were coming, The restaurant had just closed at 10pm ., however we do have a chef who lives on property available to offer midnight room service .
When the guest requested the least expensive room for one night, we then assumed at that late hour that the guest might be one of our late night repeat travelors on the raod to Kingston. When these guests arrived, They did not want to be engaged and only wanted to go to bed,..... we normally always offer our guests complementary upgrades, when rooms are available at check in, but these guests were on a mission to go to bed.,
In the morning, The staff was ready & willing to take them snorkling and offered them a freshly cooked local Jamaican breakfast. But the guests ran off the property within 10 minutes of coming out of their room., we had no idea they were having any problems with us., staff is available to remedy any and all within reason and try to interact with guests, but also sence when to keep their distance .., We only had to be asked and be told they were having problems.
As for the pool it had just been completely resurfaced with Diamond Brite (10 day job) and filled up within less than 48 hours., the film was only from the clhorine settling in.,
We only hope the rest of their stay in Jamaica went better for them.
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

I spent a couple of days at Moxon with my husband and my four year old son just a couple of weeks ago. The place is so chilled and friendly and served great food. You have a private little clean beach with crystal clear water, lifeguard always on duty. The patio and pool music was awesome. This beach club is authentic yet very stylish, with deep mahogany wood everywhere. There is internet and the view from the rooms and the dining room is to die for. We loved it and we will go back. Joanne, the owner, is a real inspirational human being, with lots of class. Congratulations to her and her staff!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

On the way back from St Thomas our driver suggested that we stop for a drink at Moxons.

To be honest, we were tired and crabby and wanted to get back to our resort in Montego Bay.

Thank GOODNESS we stopped. The place is just amazing. The beach club is located on the water and from the club one literally feels like one is on a boat (the sea is that close).

The highlight of our experience was that we actually saw a sting ray. The water was so clear that we could watch it feeding for around 20 minutes - magical!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Moxons Beach Club? Share your experiences!