“I Love Jamaica!!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Boscobel
Aberdeen, Scotland
“I Love Jamaica!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2007

We recently returned from 2 weeks at Beaches and without a doubt it was the best holiday and resort we'd ever been on. The bad reviews i read before i left had me worrying slightly but the moment we arrived we were instantly impressed. The rooms were huge compared to what we have been used to and the Air Con was excellent. The cleaners do a great job every day and on several occasions made love hearts with the towels on our bed which my missus loved.
We were over to get married and the day itself although felt quite surreal went with no problems and because we all had the kilts on we had endless number of people coming up to speak to us about it, its great being Scottish!!
The beach location is beautiful and although there are people trying to sell stuff just out of the private sections of the beach they are not to pushy and to be honest it wasa lot cheaper than the same things on offer at the hotel shop plus it feels better giving people who really depend on this money rather than making the top brass at Beaches even more richer!! Eg to get both my daughters hair braided at the hotel would have cost 170 US dollars where as just over the beach i got them both done for 55.
The food is good with Elenors top of the pile. The pepper pot soup was the biz. The staff are all excellent and really made the trip for us as the Jamacians are just the coolest people you will come across. Special mentions to Geoffery, Patrick, Carlyle,Marcelious, Trace, Milton, Marven, Fabian, Ricardo, Shaun and Minto who were always ready to greet me with a 'whats up big daddy'. Minto was also the main man on the wedding day and kept us flowing with the whiskey and rum.
Also the kids camp is superb and our 5 year old spent most of the day with them doing all sorts of different activities along with meeting the Sesame gang wich the 3 year old loved aswell. One of the carers Kaylishya is absolutely superb with the kids and Bailey was sad to leave her behind.
A slight downside is the amount of times the Snap Shot photographers are on top of you and more so the kids, my eldest would come back each day with 4 or 5 wristbands. This wouldn't be so bad if they didn't charge an absolute fortune for the photos which are just a quick print off from a none to special digital camera but with the amount of photos taken its hard not to buy some after seeing them on screen. It would be a nice touch if they gave you the CD aswell as the photos.
Anyway to wrap up we loved it and would love to return maybe in a couple of years time and if you are already booked to go then just go there and enjoy it you lucky swines and to the people who seem to complain about it, well maybe my expectaion level is different but i never expected it to be a shrine with gold covered toilets and the staff fanning me 24hours a day while feeding me grapes. Holidays are for enjoying not complaining.
Jamaica......No Problem
The Park Family, Aberdeen, Scotland

• Liked — Everything!
  • Disliked — Quite far from Ocho Rios town centre
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (499)
Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2007

I just got back from Beaches Boscobel and it was the best vacation I have ever been on. Not only was the resort itself more than you could ask for, but the people is what made the trip absolutely wonderful. All the staff went above and beyond and did it with a smile. I have never seen such friendly and happy staff in my life. They were what made the trip. The rooms are great, even though all i did was sleep there. The beach is beautiful. The food is great, and access to it at any time is just what we needed. We came for a wedding and it was done so nicely. It was a much needed vacation also and it was worth every penny. Thanks to the Concierge ladies , Richard, Frederick, Brenton, Richard, Cordelia, and all the other staff there, I am planning on going back ASAP.

• Liked — The people and the views
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed March 2007
Barrie, Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2007

My husband, daughter (age 3), and myself returned from Beaches Boscobel April 29th from the best vacation I've taken since our honeymoon. My family and I are avid travellers and I have found none that compares to the family vacation that 'had it all' at Beaches Boscobel.
Bus ride:
Yes, it is a little over two hours long from Montego Bay to Ocho Rios but the scenery is gorgeous and the driver will make stops at reputable venues for breaks.
Check-in:
A snap. A cool towel and drink were waiting for us as we arrived at the hotel. Concierge checked us in and showed us briefly the grounds.
The rooms:
We had a gorgeous waterfront suite room with grand views of the water and a large patio. My brother and sister in law who also traveled with us had ocenfront smaller room with semi-attached deck. The entrance to their room was from their sliding glass patio door. No front door. The rooms were clean, showers had nice pressure. The bar was daily stocked with soda, fruit juice, and Red Stripe. Ask concierge for anything else.
Pool:
Big and had a great swim-up bar.
The kids waterpark is open but is they are building a huge one that should open by December.
Beach:
Small but only resort guests use.
Beaches has their own glass bottom boat (which is used for snorkeling) and a scuba boat. Each go out twice daily for events (weather permitting).
Food:
EXCELLENT!!! We ate jerk chicken at the BBQ Park every day for lunch. Eleanors is an adults only restaurant with wonderful food.
We hired a nanny from the Kids Kamp to watch our exhausted from fun daughter while we were at dinner. The nannys are Kids Kamp teachers. The kids know them from camp so it is an easy transition.
Adult Stuff:
Besides Eleanors restaurant, the piano bar was a hoot.
Their is also a spa.
Shows:
Mostly kids oriented with Seame Street but loads of fun. If you have kids, you have to attend the Character Breakfast with all the Seame Strret characters. It's a few dollars but well worth the memories.
Staff:
Excellent. Not one person said no to us. And if they did? It was always 'no problem mon". So many staff members to name as excellent and helpful.
We are already planning our next Beaches vacation.
Enjoy!!!!

• Liked — View of the water
  • Disliked — A bit small.
Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2007

We stayed at Beaches Boscobel for one week. Our vacation took a turn when our four year old son got sick and went into the Hospital the night before we were suppose to leave.

The people working at the hotel, most of all Lee Ann, and to everyone else, we will never forget the support and help you gave to us in our time of need.

This hotel went above and beyond on making our extended stay between the hospital and the hotel a much easier time for us. I am not sure how we would have done this without them.

You will always be in our hearts and we will never forget the kindnest and extra work you did to help us out.

When we are ready to venture out again, you will be hearing from us.

Love the Malin's

Newark, Delaware
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2007

Our family of 8 (2 parents, 3 teens, 2 kids, 1 grandparent) has been to several all inclusives in the past. Beaches Boscobel was a very pleasant stay. While there were some things I liked more than other resorts, and some things I liked less, overall it was worth the money.

I take stock in these reviews when planning a trip, so I am giving you my honest, straightforward opinion. Please feel free to contact me if you have any additional, specific questions. I'll be happy to help if I can.

PLUSES:
Beautiful resort...clean rooms, clean, maintained grounds.
Nice big pool with swim up bar that kids loved.
Staff allowed kids to toss balls, use rafts, etc.
(there was a smaller pool, but we never used that one)
Big rooms, big bathrooms.
Nice hottub---and it was clean (have seen many that weren't)
Great for scuba divers, boat leaves 2x a day;
great for introducing kids to scuba
banana boats, windsurfing, snorkeling.
FRIENDLIEST STAFF...more so than any other all inclusive we've been too...one was nicer than the next. I can't remember anyone NOT being friendly.
Activities for all ages...our (picky) teenage girls had fun, and so did our always-on-the-go 11 year old boys.
Beautiful views...worth getting up early when sun comes up and everything is quiet and calm.

NEGATIVES:
Even though an elevator takes you to the beach, it's a bit of a hike (something to consider for elderly or handicapped)
Not a huge beach.
Restaurant food was ok/good...Tex Mex place the best, night buffet was marginal.
Hard to find spots (spa, teen disco, etc). All you have to do is ask, but I expected more signage.
Interesting view---but long drive---from airport.

MY PERSONAL TIPS:
Get up at the crack of dawn to get a good seat at the beach or pool. I'm talking 6am. Lay down your stuff, go back to bed. By 7 every good seat in the shade is taken. (And you'll want some shade by middle of the day because it gets HOT!)

Eat lunch and dinner at Tex-Mex place...also a fun place with good atmosphere for kids.

IMPORTANT: Bring plenty of suntan lotion, and use it often. We had a minor case of sun blisters on one of our girls...and we had 45spf on her. We took her to the nurse (very nice) and apparently lots of vacationers have that problem. Apply often!

DO NOT fly Air Jamaica if you can avoid it. This was our 2nd trip to Jamaica in 6 months and both times the trip home was awful. I'm pretty tolerant, but the lack of organization at the airport was just horrible. NO LIE--we (among many others) waited 2 hours just to check in. They put you in one line, then move you to another, than put others in front of you....and not friendly at all.

On our trip prior to this one, our flight was cancelled (never a reason given) and we were flown to Newark, NJ (instead of Philly) and had to get on a bus back to the airport. A 3 hour trip home turned into a 9 hour nightmare. It may be cheaper, but we're willing to pay the extra $$$ to fly a different airline next time. We'll never go Air Jamaica again.

• Liked — Cleanliness and friendly staff
  • Disliked — distance from airport
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2007

My stay at Beaches Boscobel Resort & Golf Club was absolutely amazing! I loved the smooth plane ride there, and the amazing (but bumby) ride to our resort. The scenery was beautiful, I've never seen so many beautiful things all at once. It was overwhelming knowing that my first trip had been to the most beautiful place on earth! The resort was so exciting to see! Everything was clean and beautiful and the rooms were AMAZING! Though we didn't have a balcony, the veiw from our patio was still great! The people on the resort made my stay there worth wild. Everyone was so friendly and didn't mind having a meaningful conversation. I was never bored while there, which is crazy because I get bored so easily! I was there for a family member's wedding, which was gorgeous by the way, and I would recommend it for any engaged couple. The water was so nice and the beaches were hot.. Just the way you would expect it to be. On spare time, we went to the market in Ocho Rios, and to Dunn' River Falls! They were both remarkable and I would crimb the waterfall again any day!

• Liked — The people who worked on the resort!
  • Disliked — I loved everything about our trip!
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Billings, MT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2007

We stayed at Beaches Boscobel, Ocho Rios, Jamaica, January 2007. Beware, it IS a 2-21/2 hour bus ride from the airport. Roads are under construction in some areas and just lots of traffic and pot holes. The resort was really nice, magnificient landscaping on the property, fabulous and friendly service from all the staff. They went out of their way to greet us daily and make sure we were enjoying our stay. The food was good, lots to choose from. The "Free Golf'' was a little misleading, green fees are covered, but Pro shop requires a caddy fee which they keep (17.00), cart fees for 2 were 40.00 and then a tip for the caddy per person. Its about a 25 minute ride to the course, shuttle service is providided but only at scheduled times. The resort is great for families and caters to the kids. The endless virgin daquiri and pina colada machine was a big hit with all of us. We had a wonderful time and would go back again!!!

Stayed January 2007

Been to Beaches Ocho Rios Resort & Golf Club? Share your experiences!