“Hot tips!” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Boscobel
“Hot tips!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2004

Hot Tips!

Cocktails are weak. Order from Anthony, Tyrone, or Andre, Marvin, or Marcelous.

Milton, at the pool is a bit slower.

Georgia, Donard, Kemar, and Jason, who is at the front desk, are all really special.

Don't burn on the first day. You might. SPF yourself.

Go to the piano bar, late at night. You never know when it is cooking. Say hi to Sonny.

Stop by the Arizona and say hi to Winsome, or Carrie-anne.

Go anywhere and mention, Johnny Be Goode.

The response will be friendly.

Have the rack of lamb, the OK corral, and the jerk cheeseburger, or jerk chicken sandwich with cheese, with the works, including Winsomes sauted mushrooms. Oh boy!

You make your own fun here. Not much of a nightlife. The people is what this place is about. The Jamaican attitude is infection. Take some of it home with you.

When you have an omelette for breakfast, just as the chef flips the omelette, say "whoop", as if the pan is saying it as he flips. Look for the smile on his face. You'll get great omelettes.

~Johnny

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (499)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2004

Our Trip was soooo Wonderful. Maybe because we avoided some things like the bus ride. We are a family of 5. 3 children a 3 year old girl, and 2 boys age 7 and 10. We first took Tim Air (6 seater plane ) to Boscobel. We were out of the main Airport in 30 seconds with a driver from Tim air who held up a sign that said TIM AIR. He had us in the van and over to the mini airport in 2 mins. We boarded the 6 seater plane in 5 mins. and our flight to Boscoble was 20-25 mins. It was beautiful and fast. We flew right over the resort and landed. It was a 2 min. car ride to the hotel. We arrived at beaches at 8:15 am. We went swimming, ate and waited to get our room. It was ready so fast. I looked at the clock in our room and it was 9:01. I thought about the people on the bus.
The room was great! Clean and nice and cool. No air problems. We asked for a quiet room. It overlooked the Childrens center and entrance. We did'nt care about the ocean view. We have one at home. We loved our quiet clean room away from it all.
The people of Jamaica could'nt have been nicer!! Really. We always tip so I never saw anyone act like a beggar.( some reviewers said that) The kids club was WONDERFUL!!. Better than I thought. Clean Fun. Colorful happy. Looked like Chuck e Cheese. My kids are friendly and make friends fast to they had no problems. Keisha was our nanny at night. We had her 4 times. We loved her!!!
Resturants were great!!! Never saw anyone complain or did we ever have any Airconditioning Problems. Eleanor's was Great. Loved the Jerk Chicken. Venetian was great!! Loved the Ceasar and Beef! Arizona Was Great. Loved the shrimp. The buffet was great too. Loved the All you can eat Lobster, Papaya, Jerk Burgers, Desserts were pretty good. We loved the virgin Pina Coladas!! So did the children.
The beach was perfect size. Plenty of room for everyone. Never crowded. They need more towels. Maybe bring your own, buy one in the gift shop or bring it to your room at night. The pools were great! The kids loved everything. The slides, Trampoline. sailing, snorkeling( very friendly guides!!!!! never anyone complaining. It's not the Great Barrier Reef, but fun to do.)
Smokey Joe is very nice!! Never saw or heard him treat anyone bad. He has fun out there on his little boat selling shells. There were only 2 people selling shells all week. I thought I was going to see like 6 or 8 venders from the reviews.
The Spa was great!! Crown Moulding, Mosaics floors, Very Tropical feel. We had a seaweed wrap, Water Lilly wrap, and a couples Massage. We did'nt do the moonlight one outside because Hurricane Charley rolled on through and it was overcast.
Because of the Hurricane, We were given 2 free nights at any Beaches.
Loved the Steel Drums, Culture dancing, Fire eater, Raggae music and all the shows. Dolphin Cove was wonderful and so were the refreshing falls.
We flew back on Air Link(another 6 seater) at 4:00, boarded the plane at 5:15 and flew away at 5:35. Very easy, smoothe and relaxing.
We will go back to Jamaica again!! We would go to Beaches Boscobel again and would recommend anyone who has a family like ours to go.
It's too bad about the people that did'nt like this place. It's funny but alot of them seem to be from the same area. I read about 30 reviews before I went. I wasn't worried because there were enough 4 and 5 star ratings and I'm optomistic.
Can't wait to get back and have the Jerk chicken and a Pina colada.

• Stayed August 2004
Orlando, fl
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2004

BUTLINS WITH SUNSHINE Having been to Beaches Negril a few years ago and absolutley loved it, we had no hesitation in going to Beaches Boscobel, in fact we were so looking forward to it. But never again. Check in was smooth and the front dest staff were extremely nice, the room was ok and the fresh fruit brought in to us was a nice touch.
But the resort itself is tired and needs a great deal of TLC. We are from London originally and to us this place compares to Butlins with sunshine, which makes it a very expensive holiday camp. All the staff were very friendly and helpful except for Jeremy the English manager who appeared to be so laid back almost comotose. We only stayed one night and transfered to a wonderful hotel in NEGRIL and Beaches didn't charge us for the night we stayed as I got a severe electric shock from the juice machine at breakfast the next morning. Food is just ok, nothing special and at the Italian restaurant the air conditioning doesnt work and hasn't for a year or so !!!!
No thanks, I've never liked holiday camps and don't expect to pay thousands for that kind of place.

• Stayed August 2004
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2004

Wasn't sure what ot expect having read a couple of negative reviews. Don't know what hotel they went to because bocobel was FANTASTIC.

Well worth doing Dunns River falls, they're breath taking.

Enjoy!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2004

We were in Beaches from 7/30 - 8/4 and are appalled at some of the reviews people have placed here. We tried to cancel our vacation due to the negative reviews but were assured by our travel agent that we could get our money back if we were not pleased. Using this agent for 10+ years, she has our trust and we took a leap of faith. We arrived and decided from all of the reviews that we would take the flight into Ochos Rios. We waited for 10 minutes, boarded a VERY small plane and were at the resort in 1/2 hour. $300 USD total, but after 9 hrs of traveling we were ready to be there. Had we been willing to wait 45 minutes, it would have cost $240 USD for the three of us. They have an Air Jamaica flight that you can take for $60 per person but it comes in and out once per day so if you want to do that option coordinate that w/ your main air travel. Otherwise include the $$ in your budget so you get there quick. We took the bus back to the airport for our return and Beaches reserved a nice bus with AC and friendly driver to take us back. Yes, the road was bumpy for about 1/4 of the trip, but for the most part it was fine - no crazy speeds running off the shoulder of the road. Again -- you are on an island -- not a big city with fancy road ways. Total travel time back to the airport was 2 hours. They make you leave in plenty of time, but after security and luggage, etc. we had enough time for lunch and then boarded the flight for home. We travelled w/ our 7 yr old daughter and found Beaches to be very friendly with tons of activities for kids and adults alike. The kids camp was not a hit with our daughter as she made a friend as soon as she arrived, however, others with younger aged children were utilizing the service and found it to be very good. I actually watched some of the kids activities while we are on the beach and the staff kept very close eyes on the kids and had fun activities planned for all ages. The kids 0 - 5 seemed to enjoy it the best. The beach -- is small, but not as small as people make it sound. I am from Texas were everything is big here and it was plenty big for me. There were your standard sea shells and small rocks as with any beach, but the seaweed problem others have mentioned was not seen by my husband or I. There were 2 men in the water selling their sea shells, but once you said "no thanks" they were quiet and left you alone. The life guards on duty make sure all the kids are properly equipped when participating in the water sports and also make sure the vendors give you no trouble. Security guards are at both ends of the beach to keep any unwanted visitors off the property as well. The staff at the resort were anything but hostile. Maybe people who were rude to the staff got treated poorly, but we did not experience anything like this at all. Very accomodating!! We had the deluxe family suite and it was plenty of room for the 3 of us. Yes - the AC did drip every so often but it was no insignificant that we didn't mention it to the staff. We did have a problem with the TV and within 20 minutes of me calling, the TV was repaired, so no problem there. The swim up bar did get a bit crowded in the afternoons, but like any bar with 20-25 people swarmed around, everyone waited their turn and got great service. The food is good, not over the top great, but keep in mind you are on an island in the Carribean. The service was more relaxed than that of what you would find in a big city, but we always had drinks and the food came fairly quickly. I do recommend early dinners as the restaurants do get crowded and after 7:30 people were finding the wait to be 30 minutes or so. The Bayside Grill was always a good place to eat with many buffet selections and the Arizone was another personal favorite as it was right on the water. The BBQ place had great lunch items and was fast and right by the pool so you could keep an eye on the kids. The kiddie pool has 2 great water slides that the kids love and could have been kept a little cleaner as it was surrounded by the garden and flowers would fall into the water - but again - a ton of kids running all over the place -- in and out of the water from the slides -- there's going to be debris into the pool. The petting zoo was off of the kiddie pool and didn't smell all that great, but the kids loved the pool just the same. The main pool was always clean, however, people would "save" the deck chairs with a towel and then stay in the pool all day leaving a bunch of chairs with towels, but no people. On the upper level of the pool we always found a chair and got to see the coean instead of the pool, so it was fine. Most of the time we were in the pool anyway, so it didn't matter to us. There were pool games/activities all day long and people of all ages had a great time. The night time entertainment was fun - something for everyone and plenty of fun for the kids. There was always some place open to eat, the drinks were not watered down and the kids had a ton of fun. I think if you go and are nice to the staff, they will be nice to you. If you are nasty to the staff, maybe you do get watered down drinks in hopes that you won't get drunk and be even more inconsiderate to them. I went with a wait and see attitude and wasn't expecting much after the reviews I read here -- and was nicely surprised. My husband and I typically spend $3-5k a yr on our family beach vacation and this was right within that budget and we felt we got our moneys worth. We actaully will go back to Jamaica and will probably try the Negril Beaches next only because the beach is said to be bigger, but we would return to Boscabel without any concern if Negril was not available. Don't let the people with bad reviews ruin your plans for Boscabel Beach -- it's a wonderful place if you go with the right attitude.

Scottsdale AZ
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2004

This was our fifth trip to a Sandals/Beaches resort. I've previously heard bad things about Sandy Bay and the Sandals Inn. We are now adding Boscobel to our list of bad properties for this company. I should preface this by saying we love love loved all of our previous trips to Sandals/Beaches. This time around the trip started out with the airport employees inexplicably forbidding us to sit in the Beaches lounge. They insisted we stand outside in the heat for 20-30 minutes rather than sit in the comfort of the lounge while we waited for our transport. They also would not even point us to a water fountain, insisting that we could buy some water about an hour into our van ride!!! This is not the Beaches hospitality that we have grown to know and love.

The ride was bumpy but I'm not about to blame Beaches for the condition of the roads in Jamaica.

What I do hold Beaches responsible for is the room which was in disrepair (our worst room ever at a Beaches/Sandals resort, despite being the second highest category of room!!), the rude employees, and the bad food.

The bad food is a big one. When you go to an all-inclusive, if the food sucks, it's a problem. Our first night we ate at the Venetian and we had the worst service that led to over 2 hours of sitting in a restaurant in which the a/c was not working while they served the courses completely out of order and fully overcooked to the point of being inedible.

Things didn't get much better on the food front and what has been said about getting a drink is true. (We also often sat at Bayside while the food got cold waiting for flatware.) Not only did I often finish my meal before I could get a glass of water at the buffet, but this same problem occurred at the Venetian and at Eleanors as well. After waiting over 20 minutes for some water at the Venetian, I picked up the water pitcher myself and was actually scolded severely by the staff. Uh, scold yourself for such bad service, not me! That sort of scolding happened often. It was as if the staff found the presence of guests to be a nuisance. I was completely fed up with being treated rudely by the staff by the end of the trip.

The snorkeling was by far the worst I've ever experienced as well and the trips were made more unpleasant by a bossy and rude "guide" who insisted that we follow him. As an experienced snorkeler and adult, I expected to be treated with respect and not be treated like an elementary school child that needed to be scolded and disciplined on a pleasure trip!!

There's much much more to say here, but I would encourage you NOT to disregard the bad reviews that have been written here. They are accurate. If you want to do Beaches, try Turks and Caicos!

1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2004

This trip occurred from July 26th - Aug 1st:

We arrived in Montego Bay greeted by many "helpful" and "friendly" Jamaican's. Each time we asked for directions to the mini van for our resort we were helped by a system of porters who would take us just far enough for another porter to help us; each time anticipating a tip. The Jamaican’s can see a tourist coming from a mile away; they expected to be tipped for everything. They have their hand in your pocket as soon as you get off the plane; don't mistake their friendliness for what they want in your wallet.

After waiting for 30 minutes in the hot sun under a shack our mini van arrived. We boarded the bus with another family. The first 30-45 minutes was acceptable until the bus driver gave the microphone to a member of this family. Prior to boarding the bus it was noticed that the adults of the second family, who had young kids, were pounding the beer they had either bought in the airport or carried off the plane. As time went by the trip became longer and longer. We made one scheduled pit stop where the second family used the restroom and restocked on beer. In between our first stop and the unscheduled second and third stops, we were subject to obnoxious and crude conversations through the bus microphone, one of the wives keep on announcing to everyone she needed to pee (what a lady); although each time we stopped she did just that but then bought more beer. One would think you might put two and two together. I felt sorry for the kids and the example their parents were setting for them. In all the bus trip should have taken 2.5 hours when in total it took 4.

When we finally arrived at Beaches Boscobel and entered our room the air conditioning fails to work appropriately not to mention the rooms were dirty. I am sure the cleaning service tries the best that they can but the effort over time just doesn't cut it. We had to convince the maintenance crew to come out and look at the A/C, in which they had no solution. We then persisted to ask for a room change with 4 calls to the front desk. They told us they did not have any room available which was horse hockey. Luckily we had enough family in for a wedding we were able to move to another room we had reserved; the next day in the afternoon they found us a substitute room.

The food at the resort was nothing exceptional. The golf was ok except the required use of a caddy; another money pit. The beach was small and captive for locals to hound visitors to purchase worthless sea shells. And the staff either did not want to be their or they just had chips on there shoulders.

The best part was the ability to check your bags at the resort before you leave, once checked in the bags were taken directly to the airport. At the airport the personal of Air Jamaica, god help them, could not get anything right. They called three flights to board all at one time then called two back. This resulted in a couple hundred people in one small area; this caused a problem for those who were trying to board their flight but couldn't. The personal at Air Jamaica could not bring any organization to the mess.

Jamaica looks/sounds like a great place to visit but it’s not worth the time or money.

Ps: Woods and family grow-up college days long gone.

Been to Beaches Ocho Rios Resort & Golf Club? Share your experiences!