“Spectacular service” 5 of 5 stars

Beaches Ocho Rios Resort & Golf Club
St. Ann, Boscobel, Jamaica   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
$175 Early Booking Bonus!
Ranked #1 of 3 hotels in Boscobel
Philadelphia
“Spectacular service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

Service was incredible. Rooms very clean. Food was wonderful. Fun was always to be found. Water activities were great. Not certain how much more I could have expected. It will be on my "must return" list.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Cassie C, Review Coordinator at Beaches Ocho Rios Resort & Golf Club, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
Thank you for your review of Beaches Ocho Rios. We're so delighted to read that your vacation was such a wonderful experience at our resort. Our staff is known to take excellent care of each guest and I'm so happy that your stay was nothing short of extraordinary.

We can't wait to welcome you back for another great stay in the near future!

2,346 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (444)
Cohasset, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

Stayed 6 days over New Years. Had 25 family members on property. The ride from the airport is a good 2 hours..not the worst ride, but still 2 hours. Check in was enjoyable, everyone was very helpful.
We got upgraded to the of the larger rooms (by the Spa). We had 5 people in our room and while we had a ton of luggage, the room actually worked out very well. The only issue I would bring up would be the bathroom...it needs improvement ASAP.. I could go on and on, but shower was old, water pressure poor.
The property was easy to get around and the overall service was very good.
Food was adequate, we ate at all over the property and while all meals were good, none except for our last meal were exceptional. Our last meal was a private meal on the beach and the food / service was excellent. I would say Neptune's was the worst dinner (OK for lunch)...
Lunch at the BBQ was good, but the bees and flies around all the food was disturbing.
We were with a lot of family so we didn't do a ton of drinking, but was pleased with the availability and service at all the bars. All bars seem to check ID's of anyone close to drinking ages.
The pools / hot tubs were very nice, kids really enjoyed all the slides..as did the adults. Some times it was difficult to get chairs at the pool...but always manageable...especially if you get up early. We played tennis and basketball on property, both easy to use and a lot of fun.
We did plenty of beach activities and everyone we encountered was pleasant and helpful. The beach isn't very big, so if that's what you enjoy, get there early to get a chair.
Some of the group used the SPA and all enjoyed it. While they were at the Spa or the pool, often I was at the golf course. The course was very nice and if you keep the ball in the fairway and listen to your caddy on the greens you can get some low scores. They say it's free, but it isn't. $20 a round for "caddy fee" plus $ for a cart...but it's a walkable course..and then a tip for your caddy ($10-40). Food and drink also cost $...but I enjoy playing golf. One day, I took the first bus to the course and was back at Beaches by noon.
Internet cost $$, and we had some issues with it during the week, but overall worked OK
We didn't do a lot of night time activities, the kids enjoyed Club Liquid.. I heard it turned into more adult later in the night, but I was always asleep by midnight as I golfed early most mornings.
We did one offsite to the Blue Hole and really enjoyed it. The property offers many user pay off sites. If I had to do it again,I would play 18 and have the family meet me at the golf course and then take a cab to the Blue Hole as its only about 10 minutes from the course.
Overall we had a great time, hope you do as well!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your review. We're glad that you had a great time at our resort. Your feedback means a lot to us and we will use it to evaluate all aspects of our resort. We want to ensure that your next stay is an above 5-star experience.

Happy Travels!
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

We arrived at Beaches Ocho Rios on Christmas day and met a family of staff that worked together like I have never seen before: Some examples are Ricardo who after receiving a Christmas card from us as well as a few toys for their foundation, was so grateful he organized a surprise for my husbands birthday on Jan 3rd.The 3rd came and I actually forgot it was his birthday until we were at breakfast. I finally said happy birthday and a server named Moreese heard me. All the staff joined together with cake candles and sang happy birthday. Greg was so touched he thanked me for organizing it but I didn't. The staff within 10 minutes pulled this together and that was not even the surprise Ricardo had in store for Greg's dinner which was set up on the beach with menus showing his birth date and our names including our children. My son is 15 and my daughter 18. This was our big trip before they end up so busy it wont be possible anymore. Sitting with a coal oil lamp on the table and candles all around with waves rolling up and musicians playing music close by on the pier was heavenly. Both our kids talked about how they were going to bring us back to this beautiful place when they have their families. Not one cent was given to any employee during our stay except for a tip to our server on the beach, the driver and the spa staff. Francia gives the best massage while shampooing hair. Geneve did my hair and makeup for a family portrait we were having done. She did such an amazing job I took selfies which made my kids laugh because its not my personality! Tameka from Josephines crepes was by far the most attentive even getting me coffee when her café was closed. Jason rolls carts everywhere and sings the whole time he works. His voice has perfect pitch which makes me hope he pursues a singing career .New years eve was pretty amazing because staff celebrated with their families enjoying all the food and festivities. That proved to me family comes first at this Beaches and from what I'm told it's all because of Ramel. When staff are far away from their families they become a family giving each a role like auntie, cousin, sister etc. So many staff members told me Ramel listens to their ideas and he encourages them to try new jobs so they get to understand all aspects of running a resort. .My husband and son are now officially certified as open water scuba divers and they could not stop talking about Yogi who made each learning lesson and dive so much fun. They even saw an 8 ft reef shark! We stayed in the French village room 3410. It was in my opinion the best room in the resort because it was the highest room and closest to the water with the most windows.The room was kept so clean and the fridge was always full of all our favourite drinks. Noise levels were high until the crepe place closed at 10:30pm which was located right below our window which isn't something that bothered us. The organized entertainment was ok. I enjoyed the employees dancing together the most. It was much better than entertainment brought in. My son is super shy so never met anyone. My daughter is shy too but pushed herself and ended up having a great time meeting new people. The food was delicious in every restaurant. The beach was a first come first serve sort of deal but we were up by 7:30 anyway because the coffee was so good! It is a small beach but we never felt crowded. The pool was where most of the kids were. The grounds do have many slippery spots so be careful. The staff were so friendly and they know how to laugh but the two words that brought us the most respect from them were "thank you."

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
We're so happy to hear that our General Manager and his team made such a great impression during your stay. We always want to meet the needs of our guests and it's wonderful to know that you had an incredible stay at Beaches Ocho Rios. Thank you for your feedback. We hope to welcome you back very soon!
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

What we booked was a top quality resort with great children's activities. What we got was a mediocre hotel with no organized activities for the kids. Beaches in Turcs and Caicos easily delivered on this promise last year. In Ocho Rios the weather was great and some of the staff were too but the issues that disappointed us so much included:
- kids activities did not happen. either no-one turned up eg. water polo, someone turned up late eg soccer to explain that they had "lost the ball", or they turned up and did nothing eg. xbox competition where the guy just sat playing on his own the whole time
- every day the hotel ran out of ice cream cones, or towels, or glasses or cutlery at some point. Usually all three.
- the concierge (we had fancy rooms) was unable to book snorkeling trips or glass bottom boat trips ("the boats only have 20 seats") and restaurants ("no-body gave me the book")
- the creperie, which is the only breakfast alternative to the buffet, uniformly opened an hour late. When I mentioned this to the staff they were rude and claimed that the timetable was wrong. I checked - it wasn't.
- there were numerous vendors around the pool, some times smoking and always checking out the guests, but not enough sun beds
- rooms were uniformly not made up when we returned at 3pm

This is the first negative tripadvisor posting I have written. My conclusion is, if you want a true Beaches experience go to Turcs and Caicos but if a 3 star Jamaican experience is what you want go somewhere cheaper.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
It is disappointing to hear that we were unable to meet your expectations during your visit. This is certainly not our standard. Because of that, please accept our apologies.

We realize that there is always room for improvement and feedback is crucial in this process. Therefore, your comments have been passed on to the relevant departments, including our General Manager, for immediate evaluation and action as needed.

Thank you for your review. We hope to welcome you back in the future for a much better stay that will definitely exceed your expectations.
Nappanee, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

After getting through immigration it was "no problem mon" from all who worked with Beaches. The staff was very helpful and friendly the bar tenders Aaron, Devon, Cleveland, Zane, Ruppart, and Marsha were outstanding. The servers Cindrella Pink, Deveon "Yeaha Yeaha" was our boys favorite always made it special to dine with. Thavia was outstanding as well making a special birthday suprise for our son on his Birthday. The entertainment crew kept everyone involed with dances and games Kerry lee made sure the crowd was having a great time. Jamelia was awesome with our boys making sure they met other vacationers which they made many friendships from thx for Jamelia she made sure the boys had and i quote the boys "The best vacation ever". Oriville was the entertainer who never stopped and the dancers Dexton was great with the childern. Last but not lest Monique my wifes new friend she was simply the best they made a special connection thx to all. Wanted to note that the life guards and sercurity also made it feel safe.

Easley, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

This was our first stay at a "family" all inclusive, though we are very familiar with Ocho Rios. The ride to and from MBJ airport was as pleasant as possible with Gary driving the van on the two hour trek.

Our first impressions of the hotel were good. The property appears to have undergone a multi-million dollar facelift in the recent year. The grounds appeared to be immaculate and the buildings all have fresh paint. From the beginning, the staff is very uniformed and extremely friendly.

We received the room that we paid for (room 1218) which is a family suite with a large veranda. Unfortunately for us, this room was the first room outside of the lobby area and adjacent to a utility closet. The noise in this location was unbearable throughout the first night (service carts up and down the halls, running children, etc). Upon request we were given another room of the same type (room 1112). Room 1112 was much quieter.

There are a few different restaurant options at this property: Venetians (Italian-ish), Neptunes (seafood), Eleanors (supposedly resort elegant), and Bayside (buffet). Our family tried all of the restaurants multiple times over 8 nights and can say that Bayside was by far the best of the bunch due to a number of advantages including seating opportunities and much larger menu options. During multiple attempts to eat at Eleanors, my family of four found ourselves giving up and heading to Bayside due to the hotel's desire to cater to HUGE groups. We were at Eleanor's on one occasion 15 minutes prior to opening with only a few people ahead of us...later we learn that they are "place-holding" for a group of approximately 30 people. For the sake of all guests, Beaches management should tighten their dining rules.

The amenities are good for small children including a wonderful waterpark. While the beach is small and usually overcrowded (pic attached), it is excellent for families with small children since there are no rocks and the waves are always gentle. As is the case throughout the property, the beach area is kept immaculate and their is plenty of friendly staff to assist with any needs you may have. The swimming pools and surrounding decks are quite small for the number of rooms on the property, even if chair reservation was properly managed.....let me elaborate.

On our first trip to any of the pools or beach (regardless of time of day), we found chairs with flip-flops or towels lying on them in order to "reserve" them....even if no one was their to use them. The staff allows this and actually seems to encourage this practice. On top of this aggravation, you may pay additional money to a concierge to grab available chairs to reserve for you. I paid more than $10,000 for my trip to Beaches and could not get a chair unless I bribe someone to get one for me? At most of the better resorts where I have stayed, there are sufficient chairs for every paying customer...and if you leave the area, the chair will be used by someone else...but not at Beaches - Ocho Rios. The routine is to get up at 6:30am, head down to the pool / beach with some personal items and try to find a couple of free chairs to place your items and hold for your later arrival...ludicrous.

My anger over the relaxed management aside, the property is beautiful and well kept. There are safety concerns all over the place with the slippery tiles used on the walkways. Over the week my family was at the resort, Jamaican rain fell every day in short bursts causing the walkways to become incredibly dangerous. This would not be tolerated in the United States due to the opportunity for law suits.

There is great communication of the upcoming activity options every day. This property maintains a nice fleet of boats for watersports adventures. They also have Hobie Cats, Stand-up paddle boards, water trikes, etc.

One of the things they do not tell you is that they allow a local vendor to sell his wood carvings inside the property but he only takes cash. If you do not bring your cash with you, there is a 10% charge for cash advance at the resort only payable in Jamaican dollars with a $100 limit. In other words, bring some cash.

The music at this resort goes on well in to the night and at unnecessarily loud volume. This is quiet confusing to me as the place is billed as a "Sesame Street" children friendly resort...however loud beats beyond midnight are not child friendly. It is not an exaggeration to say that you will feel the beat at Beaches, even in your room with a pillow over your head. If you are a light sleeper, consider bringing medication!

An additional suggestion, just in case someone from Sandals reads this: please install ropes at the water park to keep people from crossing in front of the water slides. I am nearly 200lbs and barely avoided crushing a child who was swimming across the pool while I was using the "red" fast slide in the center. While the lifeguards are diligent in watching, there is opportunity for disaster. By the way, that water slide is AWESOME! Be safe Beaches.

The resort shop is quite fair as resort shops are typically priced incredibly high. I can tell you that the T-shirts and other wearables are cheaper at the resort shop than they are at the airport souvenir shops. However, I strongly urge you to bring a case of sun screen with you since a can will cost you $10 at the resort.

In summary, the water park and staff make this place very good. Our two teenage kids had a great time. Romane and Martin at the waterpark, Devon and his rum punches at the pool bar (drinking age is 18), Faye Ann at the BBQ restaurant all treated us very well. If you have tweens and teens who are active, there is plenty for them to do at Beaches Ocho Rios....and you can feel safe knowing your kids are hanging out with Jamelia (pic attached). It is not, however, the right place if you are looking for rest and relaxation or have an issue climbing stairs.

Room Tip: Lower level rooms would likely be quieter since the music and pools are mid level.
Ottawa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

This was our first time at a Beaches resort, after staying at Sandals in the Bahamas last year. Our stay took place over the Christmas holidays for 7 nights. We arrived very late in the day because our flight was delayed and immigration took a long time because of multiple flights arriving at the same time. Our bus ride took approximately 1 hour and 45 minutes, which was long but not totally unexpected. When we checked in, we did not get the room we had reserved. We informed the staff immediately, but nothing could be done that evening as the hotel was at capacity. In addition, there were several issues with the room including a broken sofa bed and a noisy ceiling fan. As promised, the next morning, with the assistance of Shaneque, we managed to get moved to a nicer room. The bedrooms, although recently updated are comparable to Sandals (spacious, nice furniture), with the exception of the bathrooms that still require some additional work (not 5-star quality). The tiling work in the bathrooms was done very poorly (grout all over the place) and the ceiling and fixtures near the bathtub require some repairs. Also, when I inquired about the lack of beer/wine in the fridge, I was told that unlike Sandals resorts, unless you’re staying in a concierge or higher room, you don’t get any alcohol in your room, which was disappointing.

The grounds of the hotel are immaculate, with the exception of the beach, which I feel requires some work. I felt as if there was hardly any sand on the beach in certain spots and it appears to have a hard surface underneath some areas were the sand was sparse. Although the beach was small, compared to most places we’ve visited in the past, it provides some level of comfort with young children since it is a private beach with no hagglers trying to sell you stuff. The kids also enjoyed spending most of their days at the waterpark. I have to say that the waterpark was the highlight of our (and their) stay. With the amount of lifeguards everywhere, you have comfort in knowing that your children are safe. They also got to know them over the course of the week and high-fived them each time they went back up for another run. We also enjoyed the many water activities at the beach, such as kayaks, water trikes and snorkeling trips.

As for the restaurants, most of them were very good; however we were disappointed with the food and service at the Venetian. When we compared it to the Italian restaurant at the Sandals we stayed at last year, it was not the quality we expected. The second night we ate at the Venetian, we waited over 1 hour for our main course to arrive with no wait staff checking in to see whether we needed drink refills during that time. When our food arrived, most of it was cold, whereas my youngest daughter’s plate was not even ready. Contrastingly, the food and service at Eleanor’s was impeccable. We also enjoyed the other restaurants, including the wonderful pizza at Bella Napoli, the jerk chicken from the BBQ pit at the far end of the waterpark and the delectable crepes at Josephine’s. We also enjoyed various drink concoctions from the attentive staff at the various bars - although I can’t name them all, I want to give a shout out to Cornell!
The best part of the resort, like at the Sandals we stayed at previously, is the amount of staff willing to provide any type of assistance you may need, whether you’re in the lobby, bar, pool, waterpark, beach, restaurant. All of them from managers down to cleaning staff will go out of their way to say “Hello” or “Good morning”.

Although we’d probably go back to this resort again, we always visit new islands/resorts and like to experience new things, so we’ve already booked another vacation for 2015 at the Beaches in Turks and Caicos.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Cassie C, Review Coordinator at Beaches Ocho Rios Resort & Golf Club, responded to this review, January 4, 2014

Happy Travels!

Been to Beaches Ocho Rios Resort & Golf Club? Share your experiences!