“Here's the deal on this place” 3 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
$335 Instant Air Credit!
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Boscobel
White Plains, New York
“Here's the deal on this place”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

Overall, we all had a great time! We're a family of four with a 4 and 7 year old.
The goods:
1- the place is kid friendly!! Proper seating and food options for small kids and great hours at the kids camp 9am-9pm.
2- the rooms were nice and we had a great location
3- the food was good, my husband has a strict diet and he ate well. The kids loved their little buffet area and the staff was able to obtain non-pork items for us as well.
4- the shows are most,y kid centered with audience participation so the children had tons of fun during the shows.
5- the pool, the slides were amazing for the kids!!
6- the kids camp took my older child onto the glass bottom boat and they had so many stories to tell me about what they saw in the ocean.

The bad and the ugly:
1. There is no tipping. While this is also listed as a good, the downside is that the staff were 50/50 when it came to good service. We've stayed in many all inclusives, and I find that the tipped staff tend to provide the best service!
2. My kids HATED the kid camp. Although the hours were great and flexible, it was a fight to get them to stay AND the child care workers weren't 'warm and fuzzy' AT ALL. There was ONE woman I really liked but the others were so cold, and my daughter even told me they were rude. That was a MAJOR drawback for us.
3. The overall resort wasn't up to par with other all-inclusives I've visited, but then I learned that they were hit by a hurricane and just re-opened early this year, so maybe that's a factor?
4. The excursions - we took our kids to Dunns River Falls, which was quite dangerous for small ones. No one at the resort told us that. They just said, "yea mon'" and took our $44 per child fee to ride the bus there ($70 per child if you take the catamaran and the Dunns river entry fee for childrren is only $12). It would have been nice - and appreciated, if they informed us of how dangerous it can be for children and explained the falls as we didn't know what to expect. There was a couple that took a 1 year old, only to sit out and watch because they couldn't go.

Overall, we'd return, but not for the same price, lol. Next year we're at Dreams in Punta Cana! I talked to families on our trip who told us that Dreams is much better.

Room Tip: If you have children you may want to be in a room on the side of the resort near the camp and pool...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (499)
milton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

We have just returned from our trip to Beaches Ocho Rios. I travelled with my husband and 2 daughters aged 11 and 14. As a Travel professional , I always try to be as unbiased as possible and not only review a property based on my personal experience, but also on how I perceive my clients would enjoy a resort.

Overall this was a fabulous trip, there were a few "little things" that may have a bigger impact for the discerning traveler, but I will mention that later.

I did know the resort was a 2 hour bus ride so I was very prepared for this and I warned my kids ahead of time. We ended up travelling on the transfer by ourselves and we skipped the rest stop so we made it to the resort in about 90 minutes, it really isn't that bad a ride and the scenery is quite picturesque along the way. Upon arrival at the resort we had a very speedy checkin and were at our room within 15 minutes. We had a Concierge room , Royal Orchard room with a beautiful boardwalk walk out balcony. The room was very comfortable for a family of 4 with 2 double beds and a pull out couch. The bathroom was a bit older , but clean and there was no evidence of cracked tiles as in some reviews.

We all found the friendliness of the staff really made the difference for a great holiday. The dining room staff were friendly and attentive. Kudos to Chevon, Romaine and Susan. The food was great and was varied, we loved how there was always a Jamaican delicacy on the buffet selection whether it was breakfast, lunch or dinner. We ate at all the Specialty restaurants and our favourite was the Venetian, the steak there was especially good. The BBQ park was awesome and we all loved the beef patties and my kids liked the self serve ice cream and being able to grab an order of onion rings whenever they wanted. The drinks were plentiful and staff came around the pool often to take orders and clean up empty glasses. The entertainment staff was great and really interacted well with the guests, especially the kids. A special shout out to Fabulous K, Kerron, Monique and Matthew, my youngest daughter especially enjoyed all the activities.

The beach was clean and well cared for , but it was small. If you are a beach lover , you probably want to go to Beaches Negril instead . However , the beach never seemed crowded at all . My husband golfed 3 times and really enjoyed the golf course . Green fees were free, the caddy fee was $ 20 plus an additional tip.

So now the little things that may be a turn off for some people. Towels were not replenished as often as they should be and if you didn't get yours early in the morning, you may wait until later in the afternoon. The pads on the lounge chairs were very worn and many of them were torn with the stuffing coming out. The floatees in the pool were ripped and torn as well, given they had the Beaches name on them it looked really bad. It didn't bother us at all, but like I said for a picky client , it could make all the difference.

All in all it was a great experience, we have been to Beaches Turks and Caicos and don't even think of comparing this resort to that one. It doesn't measure up to size, beach, restaurants etc, but I knew what to expect and so did my family , so we weren't disappointed

Next time., maybe we will try Beaches Negril

Newburgh, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

I am in the middle of our cavation at Veaches Ocho Rios and it is a MAJOR dissapointment. I have been to Sandals and Beaches on 3 occassions and this is our fourth time. What I shock this property has been. The accomodations are poor. The restaurant by the beach is closed for renovations, the swim up bar is closed for rennovations and the Piano Bar is closed for rennovations. That being said my wife and I are always excited to get the kids in camp and enjoy some alone time. Not here. Unless your child is in the 5-7 year range there is no camp to speak of. Our 9 and 11 year old are on their own with mom and dad. If you are already booked and coming, I'm sorry. If you are contemplating, then please choose another destination or you will be dissappointed. they have disspaointed us every chance they have gotten and our last night was no different. My daughter has been excited about the chocolate buffett all day and guess what? It was just cancelled. What a surprise. This was after a day of talking to the manager about our dissapointmenet and hearing how soorry they were.

I regretfully cannot recomend Beaches to any friends or family. What ashame and a huge waste of money.

Room Tip: Choose a room atb a different proprty adn don not waste your money. signed, dissapointed from Ne...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Cassie C, Sandals & Beaches Review Coordinator at Beaches Ocho Rios Resort & Golf Club, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
I would like to extend our most sincere apologies for your stay not meeting your expectations. Being a return guest, you know that we always strive to offer stellar experiences to our guests and it seems your stay was not indicative of the norm.

After checking with our management team on resort, I'm happy to hear that our Director of Guest Services has been in contact with you and addressed your concerns. Thank you for your review and for reaching out to us.

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon for a stay that truly exceeds your expectations!
Stratford, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

My family of four travelled to Beaches Ocho Rios from August 17, 2013 to August 24, 2013. From time moment we got off the plane and was escorted to the Beaches/Sandal lounge, we knew this vacation was going to be something special. The coach that brought us to the hotel was air conditioned, all of our bags were carried in and out of the hotel.

There was so much to do. My children are 9 and 13. They spent most of their time in the water whether it was at the beach, the pool or the waterslide area. My 13 year old and 9 year old opted to not do the kids or teen clubs but the "Sunny Times" provided a schedule of the days events. This is delivered to your room during "turn down" service in the evening.

We ate at all of the restaurants, and even my picky 9 year old enjoyed everything he was given to eat. It was the first time he had tried conch fritters, and he loved them. My 13 year old and myself enjoyed the "kids drink of the day". As I do not drink alcohol, this was a way for me to experience various non-alcoholic drinks. The "Ziggy Marley" was our favorite--we enjoyed it so much that we tried to repeat it at home.

The staff was exceptional. They greeted you all through the day with big smiles, and were always concerned if you needed something. Even while sitting at the pool, the staff would walk around and make sure that you were comfortable and took you drink order. The staff was constantly cleaning and mopping. There were no sandy hallways or dirty floors. The resort was immaculate.

We did not rent a cabana but the service there seemed impeccable from those that did utilize that service. You were provided with your own concierge who would take your food and drink orders, and provide you with towels.

There were always towels available at every site. My daughter spent much of her time in the "ocean". She could not get over the beauty of the water. She particularly enjoyed the banana boat and the hobie cat. We all did the glass bottom boat trip was included. It was so nice not to have to pay for the excursions on the resort property except for suba diving. My daughter also enjoyed the snorkeling excursion.

The only thing that was out of pocket was if you went off the resort. We did the dolphin encounter and bobsled excursions. Also it is customary to tip your driver to the "off resort" spots. I did not use the spa services because I try not to do things on a trip that I can do at home.

This is one trip where we would definitely return.

Charlotte, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

I am an optimistic traveler. I enjoy myself everywhere I go even when things do not go as planned. I did NOT enjoy Beaches in Ochos Rios. There was no silver lining to be found. The trip started with a 2 hour shuttle ride with a faulty AC system. It was miserable but we were so looking forward to getting to the hotel we didn't let it get us down. Even when we arrived in a poorly lit dingy lobby with filthy furnishings we kept our heads up. Our hearts did begin to sink when we arrived in our room and found it dirty with popcorn and hair on the floor left over by previous inhabitants. We had no running water (couldn't flush toilet, couldn't wash hands), our bathroom door wouldn't close and there was more hair all over the bathroom floor. It took 2 phone calls and 2.5 hours to get the water back running and I am sad to report after 4 visits from housekeeping the popcorn remained on the floor until our departure 3 days later. At the Venetian restaurant that night we were the first guests to arrive yet it took 1.5 hours to receive our meal. When it finally arrived the chicken was completely uncooked in the center. The next day we went to the lunch buffet. Several items were out of stock. We told no less than 8 people while we waited at the bar for items to be replenished. It took better than twenty minutes to restock the times. Several times we considered just going to our rooms without a meal at all because nothing we had eaten had been worth a wait. Later that night we got stuck in an elevator after the hotel staff overloaded the elevator car trying to get people to our event location quickly. We pressed the emergency call button. When maintenance arrived minutes later we were asked to crawl out of the elevator between floors. When we got out of the elevator they tried to put us back in the SAME elevator to go to our event and seemed perplexed when we refused to get back on it. When we finally made it to our event, which was a wedding celebration, a guy came up a few minutes later and asked if everyone was okay and took the names and room numbers of those who were stuck in the elevator. At this point I had had enough. Not wanting to spoil my friend's celebration I decided to go to the reception and go see a manager about my issues the following morning. The following morning, there was no manager on duty when I went down so a nice fellow named Rupert patiently listened to my concerns. He took notes and promised to have the manager call me when he came in. At least 2 times Rupert called to check on us and inquire if the manager had contacted us. Each time he was surprised when I told him the manager had not contacted us. I went to reception desk and waited 20 minutes while they located the manager. To my shock the same guy who took our names and room numbers was the manager. He had not introduced himself as a manager or done anything managerial on the previous evening after we crawled out of the elevator. As such, I calmly detailed my complaints, the exact ones listed here. The manager unresponsive and took little action to improve the situation, though he did offer to call down to one of the property restaurants to make a reservation. He promised connect us with the property manager so that we could reach a resolution. I never heard from the property manager as promised. This was a miserable trip that could have been made less miserable if anyone on the management team had shown any concern for our situation or acted in anyway to improve it.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Cassie C, Sandals & Beaches Review Coordinator at Beaches Ocho Rios Resort & Golf Club, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
We're so sorry to read that we did not meet your expectations during your stay. This is certainly not our standard and we would like to correct the situation and make things right. We will strive in the future to truly give our guests the best Beaches has to offer that most of our guests have had the chance to experience. We hope that you will afford us the opportunity to turn this around and showcase the true luxurious experience for which we are known.

Thank you for your feedback. I look forward to making contact with you regarding this matter very soon.
Davidsonville, Maryland, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

This was our first Beaches experience. With five kids ranging from 2-12 in age, I was encouraged by the "something for everyone" comments on Trip Advisor. They were true. Each of us had a great time. The water park was a hit. The off-resort tours were fun and well-run. The staff was great. One suggestion would be to have the daily schedule posted throughout the resort. We would leave ours in the room and finding a copy (or a staff member who knew what time Elmo arrived at the pool) was nearly impossible. Highly recommend for families. If I was traveling with my wife only I would choose a different resort.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Brea, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

This all inclusive property is one you would choose if you have kids . Your kids will enjoy it with Sesame Characters roaming around which you can take pictures with your kids or yourself . A lot of slides which they will really enjoy . Pool , white sand beach , a lots of food all inclusive you can choose what you want to eat . The Kids center is also free , where you can leave your kids all day and they have there own activities . Of if you choose to have their own nannies for hire @ nights .
All will really enjoy this property as the staff are really attentive and once again it's all inclusive property with Beaches .

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Cassie C, Sandals & Beaches Review Coordinator at Beaches Ocho Rios Resort & Golf Club, responded to this review, September 7, 2013
Thank you for your great review of our resort. We're so happy to hear your excellent feedback about Beaches Ocho Rios.

We look forward to you visiting with us again!

Been to Beaches Ocho Rios Resort & Golf Club? Share your experiences!