“We missed it the moment we boarded the bus home!!” 5 of 5 stars

Beaches Ocho Rios Resort & Golf Club
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   St. Ann, Boscobel, Jamaica   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Up to $335 in Air Credit!
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Boscobel
“We missed it the moment we boarded the bus home!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

Where do I begin?? Our experience was amazing! Our family trip of four that included a 12 year old and 15 year old was chosen by our 15 year old daughter after much deliberation over having our cultures traditional "quincanera". I was hesitant to change up our traditional roots but allowed her to make her first grown up decision and well...I must say...she did great!!! I contacted the resort before our arrival to let them know the purpose of our visit and they immediately made an impression! They offered to decorate her room on our arrival and the price was cheap! Especially for her priceless reaction when she saw it. Not only did they decorate the room but they even gave us a free room upgrade as a happy birthday gift to her! Going back two hours..we arrived at Montego Bay airport and where greeted by friendly staff that checked us in to the Sandals lounge to await a bus that would take us to our resort. The lounge was very nice, air conditioned, clean and offered us drinks and snacks. The wait wasn't long at all before we boarded the bus for an approximate 1hr and 50 minute ride to the resort. I thought it would be the worst ride ever since I am 7 months pregnant but it wasn't bad at all. The driver talked to us all the way, explaining the different sites we saw along the route. He allowed me to sit right up front and prop my feet since swelling began to set in and he also stopped half way through for a bathroom break and drinks. Food at the stop was a little pricey but being able to stretch and get a cool drink was awesome! Once at the resort we were greeted with tasty punch and cool aroma injected hand towels to cool our faces and necks (great touch!) we waited in the beautiful lobby for just a short while before we were escorted to the concierge lounge to check in. On the way down, we were briefed on the resort as we passed certain areas. The concierge lounge was cool and smelled incredible! We were once again briefed on the resorts accommodations by Renea and to my surprise, Lenore (the young lady who would be responsible for the decorations and room upgrade) stopped in to greet us. She even tried to speak in our native language out of a respectful gesture to us. Now...the room. our daughter was so surprised! It was great! Inside the room they also had fresh fruit trays and a small fridge stocked with coke products, water and fruit juices. There were also bottles of red stripe beer and wine...all complimentary. We are a non alcoholic family so they quickly removed the alcohol and added more juices, waters and sodas. These were stocked daily by a young gentlemen named Eric. Eric was a treat! He and my fiancé would talk to each other in a great Jamaican accent (my fiancé is not Jamaican at all but does a pretty good at the dialect) and the islanders loved it! The second day there we were in the room when Eric stopped in to stock up our drinks and saw the birthday decorations. He asked whose birthday it was and serenaded my daughter with a happy birthday song!!! So sweet! Breakfast, lunch and Dinner at all the restaurants were great! Eleanor's being the most formal.
I must say the steak and lamp chops were AMAZING there! They did run out of menus but no biggie for our family. We were even paid a visit by Francis the Sous Chef who invited us back the next day for a special dinner. Food was always available on the resort which kept my pregnant belly happy! There was a gentlemen at BBQ's that even made me a jerked chicken pizza in the shape of a heart just because :)) and Gavin at the breakfast buffet made our morning with his great spirit every morning!
Renea, at the concierge would see us almost everyday for dinner reservations, excursion and resort questions or just to say hello and always greeted us with a smile, she even called us family after we apologized for coming in so often (I think we loved the lemongrass smell in there that much lol!) she even reached out to us after we were back home in the states just to say hello! Speaking of excursions, we booked two days worth of excursions with Renea and although I wasn't able to climb the falls, swim with dolphins or bobsled with the rest of my family, she was able to get me to go along to at least watch and enjoy my family having fun at a minimal cost. We made friends with our driver Fabion who we've also been in touch with to this day and his girlfriend Tameka who we coincidently hit it off with at dolphin cove. great people!!! Day one of our excursions (the falls and dolfin cove) were great although I must have overdid it. Later that night, contractions set in and scared me enough sending me to the nurse the next morning. She briefed me on the best hospital in Kingston (which is where I'd go if things worsened) contractions went away and I was instructed to REST...meaning no excursions...even to just watch that second day. We told the concierge office what happened and without hesitation, they refunded us my portion of the excursion fees. Every person and every encounter was so pleasant from management to housekeeping! We were always greated with a smile and many of the staff would just pause for a minute to just talk. The kids loved club liquid...as it hosted music and tween/teen fun at night. The kids met and loved the "bartender" Richard who made them awesome kids drinks and kept them laughing. The evening shows were entertaining. The main pool awesome and the water park better than expected and more free watersports then ever expected! props to Judy who was great with my family each time we checked in at the watersport counter. There was daily and nightly entertainment poolside a lot of which included vacationer participation. We of course participated and had a blast! Our youngest performed in the resorts "Jamaican Idol" and won!!! She was so excited that I think she went to bed and awoke with the same smile still glued to her face! There was even a daily newsletter that was left in our rooms the night before to keep us up to par with all of the resorts happenings for the next day. Did I mention the hospitality in this place?? We requested extra pillows since we are a pillow family and one night we arrived to our room to find not only the extra pillows but a maternity pillow they brought in especially for me...another thoughtful gesture! The only problems we ran into on the resort was a no working toilet after day 3 which they fixed while we were out for the day and low towel supply at the pools again no big deal for our family. And finally, our last day there was quite memorable. We met up with friends we made along the way and hung out at the waterpark while everyone ate and enjoyed the nights entertainment. The entertainment only got better as Lenore prepped the entertainment team to give a special birthday shout out to our daughter. Our daughter was called onto stage and a birthday cake was brought out to her, candles lit as the entire staff and all the vacationers there sang happy birthday aloud to her. PRICELESS!! We did plan for this ahead of time with Lenore but she out did herself!!! She made it so memorable that we are still talking about it today! We were put onto a special VIP, airport accomodation called Mobay by some friends and Justin in the concierge office made it happen! thank goodness because we ended up having a 6 hour delay at the airport. Imagine 6 hours at a hot airport and pregnant??? Not good!! but with Mobay, we were in a air conditioned lounge with comfy couches, free food, drinks, television and Wifi...so the six hours weren't that bad ;) Overall, this trip, the accommodations, the resort in general and everyone we met along the way made a lasting and memorable impression on our family. I apologize for the names we forgot to mention...but we hope they realize the impact they have made. We look forward to going back really soon!!

• Stayed June 2013
Cassie C, Sandals & Beaches Review Coordinator at Beaches Ocho Rios Resort & Golf Club, responded to this review, June 22, 2013
Thank you for your review of Beaches Ocho Rios. It seems you and your family had an amazing vacation with us. We're so happy that Francis, Eric and Renea were able to make your stay so much more enjoyable. We love to hear our guests compliment the friendly personalities of our wonderful staff.

We look forward to welcoming you back for another great experience in the near future!

Cassie C.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (587)
Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

We stayed there 11-18 Jun, 2013 in room 2321 in a terrace room with a great view. I highly recommend upgrading to these rooms. This was an absolutely fantastic trip for our family. Probably the most exceptional aspect was how it seemed like everyone there knew our names and were frequently asking how our day was and if we were having a good time. I really mean about every person there, even the landscapers, maintenance, etc. I had great conversations with all of them. Each and every one of them worked very hard to ensure that we were having a great vacation. One thing I had to do was make a personal adjustment to the island culture and show respect and I received it ten fold. Even by the neighboring beach vendors. Pros: The dive shop personnel were top notch. Not only did they know their stuff but they were excellent instructors. One in our party was a bit nervous about diving but Teran was very patient. So props to: Teran, Janice, Prince, Claude, Shavon, and especially Judy. Rohan has a great team there. Orlando and Romane were terrific as well in their water sport duties. Up poolside was Venice who's outstanding dedication to the resort is quite commendable. Others that displayed excellence were Arron and Rockeeto in the pool bar. Monique, Chloe and Junior made it fun around the pool as well. The ladies went to the Red Lane Spa and were quite happy with their experience. I didn't get all of our housekeeping staff names but Karen certainly did an excellent job. Also, the guy who attends to the very good fitness center was wonderful. The fellow who stocked our refrigerator each day made sure we had what we wanted. Security was excellent and we never felt unsafe. Ian in Eleanor's restaurant worked very hard to successfully accomodate our groups requests. Anthony in the Venetian restaurant did a great job too. gavin in the Bayside restaurant was especially entertaining. I feel bad that I can't remember everyone's names that made us feel so special. By the way, our Juta Tours drivers were great too. Collin, Bruce, Ozzie and Winston. As with any resort, there will be some negatives. I only bring these up in hopes that the resort might consider them constructive. Cons: The beds weren't very comfortable and I would prefer the double rooms have queen beds rather than full. I asked for a pad for the bed and it did help. Beach/pool towels were difficult to come by, seemed to always be gone. Restaurant meals were VERY slow so make appropriate adjustments when dining. Another issue was some of the restaurant hours were not well coordinated with large gaps in service. While we had a few good bartenders, most of them were pretty hit or miss. All could make a pina colada but few could make a drinkable mojito. It was rather frustrating the first couple of days because there were no site maps available to figure out where things were. I understand that there was a hurricane and things were changed but a simple amusement park style map would have been helpful. There wasn't much information in regard to room service or other benefits that may have been available. There should be a book in each room that has informational pages for the various restaurants, water sports. The daily cruise ship style newsletter was somewhat helpful though. Some of the walkways were quite slippery and many people fell down. There was a portion that had some rugs that really helped. The drive to the resort is longer than they told us. We flew into Kingston and they told us it would be an hour and a half when it turned out to be nearly two and a half. When departing, they had us leave five and a half hours before our flight so they apparently know the real time it takes. The rooms walls were a bit thin as you could hear what was going on next door. The WiFi wasn't that great and is a significant additional cost. Frankly, should be included these days, especially at the cost of these rooms. All that said, I'm not complaining one bit. We had a wonderful time and would love to go back.

Room Tip: Upgrade to the rooms that are on the ocean. We were in the Orchid Terrace #2321 and the view was ex...
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

immediately arriving at Beaches after a long day of travel we were greeted by a young man named Odell. he had a very warm smile and made us feel welcomed and at ease. throughout the week we would seek Odell out to ask questions about the area the resort and many questions about Jamaica and the Jamaican people. although some of our questions were long and grueling he was always very patient and filled us with knowledge always with a smile. i will definitely return this resort for vacation again because of Odell and the staff just like him. i'll never forget how warm and welcoming this young man was!!!!!!

Room Tip: room 1136 is where it's at
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our property. We're so glad to hear that Odell made such an impression during your stay. He was friendly and welcoming from the minute you arrived. He truly showcased the genuine hospitality of our staff.

We can't wait to welcome you back for another incredible stay in the near future!

Cassie C.
Salida, Colorado, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

This is my second trip to this resort, but the first visit for the rest of my party. I love this resort and hoped that my friends and family would as well, and I was not disappointed. In fact we are planning a return visit in September as well as December with different friends and family each time. This is how much we love it here! There have been many upgrades in the last couple of years and it is even more beautiful than it was before! We stayed in a Seabreeze Walkout Honeymoon Beachfront Suite and it was definitely worth it to be right on the beach and very quiet and private in the evenings. We had a roll away in our room which was convenient and still did not make our room overcrowded with the pull out couch as well. It was perfect for two adults and two teenage kids.
We combined this trip with a stay at Beaches Turks and Caicos as well. If you have done your research on Beaches Resorts, you are probably aware of the difference in amenities that are offered at the three resorts. While the other two Beaches Resorts offer a little more in amenities, this resort cannot be matched in the service aspect! From the time that you arrive at this resort you will feel at home and as if you are an important and valued guest and not just one of hundreds. The employees at this resort are friendly and helpful and will learn your preferences and your names. If you have children travelling with you, this is something that cannot be taken for granted! Your kids will receive personal attention and will feel welcome and wanted at the activities that are offered and will enjoy their time in the kids/teens club sooo much more, which will in turn help mom and dad to enjoy their time as well! I cannot stress how important this is! There were tons of scheduled activities for the kids and teens and they were very well publicized and organized which was GREAT! The kids loved the staff as well as the activities!! The waterpark is fun and never too crowded and the banana boat rides are a fun option as well!
One department at this resort that really shines is the dive center. The divers on this team are the ultimate professionals and yet as much fun as you can imagine! We had some of the best dives with this team that we have experienced in the Caribbean because of their love for their job as well as their desire to please their guests. The instructors here are top notch - in fact, one of the instructors at this resort is one of the highest rated instructors in Jamaica and the entire Caribbean! He is wonderful with kids as well as adults and I highly recommend him if you are entertaining the idea of trying scuba, getting certified, or advancing your certification levels. Just ask for Captain Jack Sparrow and you will be happy that you did! Props to my girl Janice as well! You will love diving with one of the few professional women divers in the Caribbean! She's a jewel and is friendly and helpful as well as tons of fun. Thanks for the great memories girl! The whole team is wonderful and I would visit this resort again and again simply to dive with them.
The water sports department is very friendly, accommodating, and easily accessible as well. Thank you for always being so easy and warm to deal with!
The food at this resort was wonderful and varied. The staff did their very best to please picky eaters and went above and beyond to make sure that everyone was happy. There are plenty of dining options and you will want to visit your favorite spot more than once because of all of the delicious choices on the menu!
Yes, I know that the transfer to the resort takes about an hour and a half, but it is a beautiful drive on a gorgeous island, so it's not so bad. I drive 3 hours to the airport from home, so for me it's a breeze.
I'm happy to answer any specific questions that you might have about the resort. Just send me an email and I will respond immediately. You will love this resort!

Room Tip: Do the beachfront or lanai rooms if you can. The views are amazing!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

When my fiance and I came to Nancy of MyIslandGetaways.com with a notion of a destination wedding, I never could have imagined how amazing the end result would be. Nancy made the wedding planning process totally EASY and STRESS FREE which, with having a one year old, is something that we really appreciated. From the flights to having our whole wedding party escorted through Customs, we were really pleased with the whole experience. The ride from the airport (about an hour 45) was fun and the driver stopped at a local bar to let us stretch and re-up on our beverages. The Beaches Staff took it from there once we arrived at the resort, with leisurely meetings to finalize the details of our big day. With 50 wedding guests, 10 of which were staying at the nearby Sandal's resort, our planner Michelle made sure that they all had itineraries delivered to their rooms and got me a list of all of their phone numbers to touch base with. The ladies at the concierge were amazing too. They really took care of the little things. The staff was super friendly and there was a woman named Juanita who would sing to us every morning at breakfast (and put up with my dad's request for another mimosa!). Because we had a larger party, we had to make a lot of reservations. Everyone was really nice about it. And that brings me to the food. I really didn't have high expectations with it being mass produced resort food- but it was SUPER GOOD. I am gluten free and they even made me GLUTEN FREE PANCAKES one morning! I loved how much seafood options there were, and everything was totally fresh. And dont even get me started on the drinks. Yum. Dirty Banana, Miami Vice, Frozen Jon Daily's... you got to try them all.. put your trust in the bartenders, they wont do you wrong. My son ended up getting sick a day or two before the wedding and their Nurse staff was really great with him and helped get him to a place where he could sit through the ceremony and was better before we went home.

We had such a good experience we are already looking into booking our next vacation with the Beaches/Sandal's family. and HONESTLY if you are AT ALL thinking about a destination wedding, CALL NANCY! Between her, your Beaches wedding planner, and the planner at the resort, it takes all the stress out of big groups and traveling and planning a wedding!

Room Tip: Its totally worth it to bump up to concierge, many of our guests did so after arriving, and we did r...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Laredo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

I travel a lot, with and without family, and have visited several all-inclusives including 4 Sandals properties and 4 Beaches properties. You already know from the other reviews that you will enjoy yourself and be treated very well. So let me give you some comparisons and tips.

This is not Four Seasons or the Ritz Carlton. Do not stay here thinking you will get that kind of service and food continuously (sometimes yes). You can get better deals if you do things a-la-carte, so if you are just looking for the best deal possible, this is not for you.

Pictures of any resort/hotel are always done to give the best possible light. I never expect any resort/hotel to look exactly like the pictures, and no one should either. That said, Beaches is 90% on their pictures at all of their properties.

Sandals (including Beaches) have the best all-inclusive experience in this hemisphere. So if you’re looking for the best all-inclusive, you’ve come to the right place.

Beaches Ocho Rios gave us the best food and service than any other Sandals resort we have been to. Keep in mind that this is an overall rating and every Beaches property will give you good food and service. Ocho Rios was slightly ahead overall (about one-quarter of a star). Most of the food at Turks is imported. Most of the food in Jamaica is from the island. The fruit overall at Turks was slightly sweet; in Jamaica it was candy sweet. The pizza at Turks was much better than in Ocho Rios, probably the only food item that was better at Turks. I thought the snorkeling was equal to Turks. I did not go scuba diving. Those that did, tell me Turks is better.

Negril and Turks have much better beaches. Ocho Rios is man-made. If you want the perfect beach, try one of the others. However, Ocho Rios’ beach was very pretty too, with crystal clear water. Some seaweed, but most of the swim area is completely clear of it. You will not be forced to encounter it if you don’t want to.

The thing that is unique about Ocho Rios’ beach is that it is 100% private. You never had anyone asking you about para-sailing etc. That would get a little annoying to me at Negril and Turks. Also, because it’s private, it is the only one that offers drink service on the beach.

Two things I did like better at Ocho Rios were the Concierge service and the Sandals Signature Dinner. I felt the Concierge service was better than the other properties. We checked in and out there, they made dinner reservations every night for us, as well as excursions off the property. I do recommend you get this service if you can afford it. The other properties had a buffet for their repeat guests; this property had a multi-course sit-down dinner that was fantastic, with private music and a magician going from table to table.

Because this is the smallest of the Beaches, you see more of the staff and guests repeatedly than at the other properties. This allowed staff (and guests you made friends with) to recognize you and learn your name, likes, and overall make friends.

So, if you’ve been to another Beaches property already, or if this is the best property for your budget, I do recommend you give this place a try. I was surprised at how pleased I was with it. One thing worth saying – do not go here if you have mobility issues. Yes, you can get around using the ramps and the elevators, but since it is on the side of a cliff, you will constantly be going up and down. Try one of the other Beaches if you have mobility issues.

Some tips and comments.

If you have concierge service, make a point of going to the concierge party on Sunday afternoon – bingo with free prizes. Use their restaurant reservation system so you don’t wait in line.

When you go to the restaurants, see what the signature menu item is, and if you like it, order it. They were excellent at all the restaurants. Venetian has a menu-order breakfast if you prefer that over buffet. Visit each restaurant at least once. If you don’t have reservations, get there early so you don’t have to wait.

Young kids will have a blast. Older ones less so unless they enjoy spending time with family or meet new friends (ours did both). Drinking age is 18, but not enforced very well. What that means is if you’re 14 or over, you can get served alcohol. So, you have three choices with regards to your teen: 1) you don’t mind that they drink; 2) you trust them completely and know they would never drink, or 3) you keep track of where they are and what they’re doing and smell their breath constantly. This is true at any of the Beaches. This also explains why you pay adult rates on your 16-year-old at Beaches even though they aren’t supposed to drink.

Go online just before you go and see if any of the cruise liners are going to be in town while you’re there. If you do an off-property excursion, choose a day when the cruise liner is not docked. We visited Dunns River during a cruise ship dock and regretted it. Some other guests did the same thing with the dolphins.

If you arrive and leave during sunlight, the drive is just fine. You are in air-conditioning and one side is the sea and the other side small mountains. I thought the views were great. You stop half-way for bathroom and snacks. I do recommend you purchase Jamaican trinkets at this store too.

The gift shop has sales on Friday evening and Saturday morning.

I wouldn’t pay extra for the dinner on the beach. It’s the same food quality as Eleanor’s, but with a lot more wind. Instead, have a two-person dinner at Eleanor’s on their outside deck overlooking the ocean. It’s included.

I did miss the lazy river, but there are three big slides, 2 medium slides, and 3 small slides that my teens and I all enjoyed. Lie on your back, put your hands behind your head, and arch your backside off the slide if you want the fastest experience possible. Because of the number of slides and size of the resort, we had very little wait to go on one as compared to the other Beaches properties.

We never had problems with seats at the beach or pool. It looked to be pretty full when we were there. Towels were there about 80% of the time – better than Turks. Water pressure and hot water were there about 90% of the time. I consider that pretty good, but Turks was 100%.

The entertainment is primarily for younger kids, but as adults, we laughed a whole lot. We did not experience any overly slow service. Sometimes it came right away, sometimes a little bit longer. If your child needs immediate service, I recommend the buffet. Take your child there, put them in camp, and enjoy a nice sit-down meal at one of the restaurants.

For evening entertainment for adults and older kids this is what I recommend. The Bayside Bar is good for watching sporting events and drinking and eating popcorn. Find the channel from your room channel list before you go so the bartender can input it. Look at the daily schedule. If it shows piano bar, visit the piano bar. Some days the player was only there for 90 minutes, but it was a fun 90 minutes. If it shows music at the Opa bar, go visit there that night. The views from both of these bars are outstanding.

Club Liquid was fun. It is not very large. The music is a little loud, and you should feel free to ask the DJ to play stuff that you know. The selection wasn’t great, but good enough. Some of the staff would be happy to dance with you or your children if you like.

The balconies on most of the concierge rooms are also where you enter and exit your room. Sometimes others would walk along the balcony. You will not get 100% privacy. But your chairs and table are yours. As with all hotels, keep anything valuable, including cell phones, locked in your safe. My family rule is no cell or internet service while we’re there, so we have nice interaction without distraction during meals and recreation.

When it rains, it is almost always for a short while and then it clears right up. The pool bar makes great milk shakes. I enjoyed eating lunch and then having a milk shake for dessert.

The shops on the side are cheaper than the gift shop, but they aren’t great deals. Sometimes, you need to tell them what you want and they will bring it for you later or the next day. I recommend buying your keepsakes at the store you stop on during arrival and departure. You will need aqua shoes if you visit Dunn’s River. Buy them before you go or at the shops on the side of the resort.

Feel free to message me if you have any questions.

Room Tip: I think Concierge was worth it.
Santa Clarita
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

Wonderful vacation and escape from reality. Jamaica is so beautiful and full of outwardly friendly people. The resort featured amazing staff who delivered exceptional service, they were genuinely friendly, fun, and seemed to take a personal commitment to ensure that we thoroughly enjoyed our stay! The resort was very clean, had wonderful food - maybe too good for our lack of will power ;) very tasty drinks, great entertainment, water-sports, very clean rooms, well equipped gym, fun tours/drivers/guides. The only area that could have been better was the time it took to get the food in the restaurants - went to the buffet often and there were always many different options that were excellent in their own right. So many memories and love to be considered a "Ja-American"- Can't wait to comeback!!!
There were so many wonderful people and I know that I'm forgetting some of them, but these people really made our vacation so special - Thank you to you all - Gavin - omelette extraordinaire,
Daniel, Carlos, Claude, Prince, Judy, Janice, Binji , Devon, Aaron, Shanneak, Curnel, Kerry-Lee, Junior, Robert Wisdom, Gerald, Robert Wisdom, Rockeeto, Juanita, Marlon, Calvin - maintenance, Chain "2 Chain", Ann-Marie's smoothies, , Seante, Mikhale, Chefs and Pastry Chefs, Nakisha, Sharon, Damion, Tricia, HTP OShane, Flowers, DJ Mario, HTP Rashane

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Been to Beaches Ocho Rios Resort & Golf Club? Share your experiences!