“best vacation ever” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Boscobel
Boston, Massachusetts
“best vacation ever”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

immediately arriving at Beaches after a long day of travel we were greeted by a young man named Odell. he had a very warm smile and made us feel welcomed and at ease. throughout the week we would seek Odell out to ask questions about the area the resort and many questions about Jamaica and the Jamaican people. although some of our questions were long and grueling he was always very patient and filled us with knowledge always with a smile. i will definitely return this resort for vacation again because of Odell and the staff just like him. i'll never forget how warm and welcoming this young man was!!!!!!

Room Tip: room 1136 is where it's at
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Cassie C, Sandals & Beaches Review Coordinator at Beaches Ocho Rios Resort & Golf Club, responded to this review, June 22, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our property. We're so glad to hear that Odell made such an impression during your stay. He was friendly and welcoming from the minute you arrived. He truly showcased the genuine hospitality of our staff.

We can't wait to welcome you back for another incredible stay in the near future!

Cassie C.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (636)
Salida, Colorado, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

This is my second trip to this resort, but the first visit for the rest of my party. I love this resort and hoped that my friends and family would as well, and I was not disappointed. In fact we are planning a return visit in September as well as December with different friends and family each time. This is how much we love it here! There have been many upgrades in the last couple of years and it is even more beautiful than it was before! We stayed in a Seabreeze Walkout Honeymoon Beachfront Suite and it was definitely worth it to be right on the beach and very quiet and private in the evenings. We had a roll away in our room which was convenient and still did not make our room overcrowded with the pull out couch as well. It was perfect for two adults and two teenage kids.
We combined this trip with a stay at Beaches Turks and Caicos as well. If you have done your research on Beaches Resorts, you are probably aware of the difference in amenities that are offered at the three resorts. While the other two Beaches Resorts offer a little more in amenities, this resort cannot be matched in the service aspect! From the time that you arrive at this resort you will feel at home and as if you are an important and valued guest and not just one of hundreds. The employees at this resort are friendly and helpful and will learn your preferences and your names. If you have children travelling with you, this is something that cannot be taken for granted! Your kids will receive personal attention and will feel welcome and wanted at the activities that are offered and will enjoy their time in the kids/teens club sooo much more, which will in turn help mom and dad to enjoy their time as well! I cannot stress how important this is! There were tons of scheduled activities for the kids and teens and they were very well publicized and organized which was GREAT! The kids loved the staff as well as the activities!! The waterpark is fun and never too crowded and the banana boat rides are a fun option as well!
One department at this resort that really shines is the dive center. The divers on this team are the ultimate professionals and yet as much fun as you can imagine! We had some of the best dives with this team that we have experienced in the Caribbean because of their love for their job as well as their desire to please their guests. The instructors here are top notch - in fact, one of the instructors at this resort is one of the highest rated instructors in Jamaica and the entire Caribbean! He is wonderful with kids as well as adults and I highly recommend him if you are entertaining the idea of trying scuba, getting certified, or advancing your certification levels. Just ask for Captain Jack Sparrow and you will be happy that you did! Props to my girl Janice as well! You will love diving with one of the few professional women divers in the Caribbean! She's a jewel and is friendly and helpful as well as tons of fun. Thanks for the great memories girl! The whole team is wonderful and I would visit this resort again and again simply to dive with them.
The water sports department is very friendly, accommodating, and easily accessible as well. Thank you for always being so easy and warm to deal with!
The food at this resort was wonderful and varied. The staff did their very best to please picky eaters and went above and beyond to make sure that everyone was happy. There are plenty of dining options and you will want to visit your favorite spot more than once because of all of the delicious choices on the menu!
Yes, I know that the transfer to the resort takes about an hour and a half, but it is a beautiful drive on a gorgeous island, so it's not so bad. I drive 3 hours to the airport from home, so for me it's a breeze.
I'm happy to answer any specific questions that you might have about the resort. Just send me an email and I will respond immediately. You will love this resort!

Room Tip: Do the beachfront or lanai rooms if you can. The views are amazing!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

When my fiance and I came to Nancy of MyIslandGetaways.com with a notion of a destination wedding, I never could have imagined how amazing the end result would be. Nancy made the wedding planning process totally EASY and STRESS FREE which, with having a one year old, is something that we really appreciated. From the flights to having our whole wedding party escorted through Customs, we were really pleased with the whole experience. The ride from the airport (about an hour 45) was fun and the driver stopped at a local bar to let us stretch and re-up on our beverages. The Beaches Staff took it from there once we arrived at the resort, with leisurely meetings to finalize the details of our big day. With 50 wedding guests, 10 of which were staying at the nearby Sandal's resort, our planner Michelle made sure that they all had itineraries delivered to their rooms and got me a list of all of their phone numbers to touch base with. The ladies at the concierge were amazing too. They really took care of the little things. The staff was super friendly and there was a woman named Juanita who would sing to us every morning at breakfast (and put up with my dad's request for another mimosa!). Because we had a larger party, we had to make a lot of reservations. Everyone was really nice about it. And that brings me to the food. I really didn't have high expectations with it being mass produced resort food- but it was SUPER GOOD. I am gluten free and they even made me GLUTEN FREE PANCAKES one morning! I loved how much seafood options there were, and everything was totally fresh. And dont even get me started on the drinks. Yum. Dirty Banana, Miami Vice, Frozen Jon Daily's... you got to try them all.. put your trust in the bartenders, they wont do you wrong. My son ended up getting sick a day or two before the wedding and their Nurse staff was really great with him and helped get him to a place where he could sit through the ceremony and was better before we went home.

We had such a good experience we are already looking into booking our next vacation with the Beaches/Sandal's family. and HONESTLY if you are AT ALL thinking about a destination wedding, CALL NANCY! Between her, your Beaches wedding planner, and the planner at the resort, it takes all the stress out of big groups and traveling and planning a wedding!

Room Tip: Its totally worth it to bump up to concierge, many of our guests did so after arriving, and we did r...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Laredo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

I travel a lot, with and without family, and have visited several all-inclusives including 4 Sandals properties and 4 Beaches properties. You already know from the other reviews that you will enjoy yourself and be treated very well. So let me give you some comparisons and tips.

This is not Four Seasons or the Ritz Carlton. Do not stay here thinking you will get that kind of service and food continuously (sometimes yes). You can get better deals if you do things a-la-carte, so if you are just looking for the best deal possible, this is not for you.

Pictures of any resort/hotel are always done to give the best possible light. I never expect any resort/hotel to look exactly like the pictures, and no one should either. That said, Beaches is 90% on their pictures at all of their properties.

Sandals (including Beaches) have the best all-inclusive experience in this hemisphere. So if you’re looking for the best all-inclusive, you’ve come to the right place.

Beaches Ocho Rios gave us the best food and service than any other Sandals resort we have been to. Keep in mind that this is an overall rating and every Beaches property will give you good food and service. Ocho Rios was slightly ahead overall (about one-quarter of a star). Most of the food at Turks is imported. Most of the food in Jamaica is from the island. The fruit overall at Turks was slightly sweet; in Jamaica it was candy sweet. The pizza at Turks was much better than in Ocho Rios, probably the only food item that was better at Turks. I thought the snorkeling was equal to Turks. I did not go scuba diving. Those that did, tell me Turks is better.

Negril and Turks have much better beaches. Ocho Rios is man-made. If you want the perfect beach, try one of the others. However, Ocho Rios’ beach was very pretty too, with crystal clear water. Some seaweed, but most of the swim area is completely clear of it. You will not be forced to encounter it if you don’t want to.

The thing that is unique about Ocho Rios’ beach is that it is 100% private. You never had anyone asking you about para-sailing etc. That would get a little annoying to me at Negril and Turks. Also, because it’s private, it is the only one that offers drink service on the beach.

Two things I did like better at Ocho Rios were the Concierge service and the Sandals Signature Dinner. I felt the Concierge service was better than the other properties. We checked in and out there, they made dinner reservations every night for us, as well as excursions off the property. I do recommend you get this service if you can afford it. The other properties had a buffet for their repeat guests; this property had a multi-course sit-down dinner that was fantastic, with private music and a magician going from table to table.

Because this is the smallest of the Beaches, you see more of the staff and guests repeatedly than at the other properties. This allowed staff (and guests you made friends with) to recognize you and learn your name, likes, and overall make friends.

So, if you’ve been to another Beaches property already, or if this is the best property for your budget, I do recommend you give this place a try. I was surprised at how pleased I was with it. One thing worth saying – do not go here if you have mobility issues. Yes, you can get around using the ramps and the elevators, but since it is on the side of a cliff, you will constantly be going up and down. Try one of the other Beaches if you have mobility issues.

Some tips and comments.

If you have concierge service, make a point of going to the concierge party on Sunday afternoon – bingo with free prizes. Use their restaurant reservation system so you don’t wait in line.

When you go to the restaurants, see what the signature menu item is, and if you like it, order it. They were excellent at all the restaurants. Venetian has a menu-order breakfast if you prefer that over buffet. Visit each restaurant at least once. If you don’t have reservations, get there early so you don’t have to wait.

Young kids will have a blast. Older ones less so unless they enjoy spending time with family or meet new friends (ours did both). Drinking age is 18, but not enforced very well. What that means is if you’re 14 or over, you can get served alcohol. So, you have three choices with regards to your teen: 1) you don’t mind that they drink; 2) you trust them completely and know they would never drink, or 3) you keep track of where they are and what they’re doing and smell their breath constantly. This is true at any of the Beaches. This also explains why you pay adult rates on your 16-year-old at Beaches even though they aren’t supposed to drink.

Go online just before you go and see if any of the cruise liners are going to be in town while you’re there. If you do an off-property excursion, choose a day when the cruise liner is not docked. We visited Dunns River during a cruise ship dock and regretted it. Some other guests did the same thing with the dolphins.

If you arrive and leave during sunlight, the drive is just fine. You are in air-conditioning and one side is the sea and the other side small mountains. I thought the views were great. You stop half-way for bathroom and snacks. I do recommend you purchase Jamaican trinkets at this store too.

The gift shop has sales on Friday evening and Saturday morning.

I wouldn’t pay extra for the dinner on the beach. It’s the same food quality as Eleanor’s, but with a lot more wind. Instead, have a two-person dinner at Eleanor’s on their outside deck overlooking the ocean. It’s included.

I did miss the lazy river, but there are three big slides, 2 medium slides, and 3 small slides that my teens and I all enjoyed. Lie on your back, put your hands behind your head, and arch your backside off the slide if you want the fastest experience possible. Because of the number of slides and size of the resort, we had very little wait to go on one as compared to the other Beaches properties.

We never had problems with seats at the beach or pool. It looked to be pretty full when we were there. Towels were there about 80% of the time – better than Turks. Water pressure and hot water were there about 90% of the time. I consider that pretty good, but Turks was 100%.

The entertainment is primarily for younger kids, but as adults, we laughed a whole lot. We did not experience any overly slow service. Sometimes it came right away, sometimes a little bit longer. If your child needs immediate service, I recommend the buffet. Take your child there, put them in camp, and enjoy a nice sit-down meal at one of the restaurants.

For evening entertainment for adults and older kids this is what I recommend. The Bayside Bar is good for watching sporting events and drinking and eating popcorn. Find the channel from your room channel list before you go so the bartender can input it. Look at the daily schedule. If it shows piano bar, visit the piano bar. Some days the player was only there for 90 minutes, but it was a fun 90 minutes. If it shows music at the Opa bar, go visit there that night. The views from both of these bars are outstanding.

Club Liquid was fun. It is not very large. The music is a little loud, and you should feel free to ask the DJ to play stuff that you know. The selection wasn’t great, but good enough. Some of the staff would be happy to dance with you or your children if you like.

The balconies on most of the concierge rooms are also where you enter and exit your room. Sometimes others would walk along the balcony. You will not get 100% privacy. But your chairs and table are yours. As with all hotels, keep anything valuable, including cell phones, locked in your safe. My family rule is no cell or internet service while we’re there, so we have nice interaction without distraction during meals and recreation.

When it rains, it is almost always for a short while and then it clears right up. The pool bar makes great milk shakes. I enjoyed eating lunch and then having a milk shake for dessert.

The shops on the side are cheaper than the gift shop, but they aren’t great deals. Sometimes, you need to tell them what you want and they will bring it for you later or the next day. I recommend buying your keepsakes at the store you stop on during arrival and departure. You will need aqua shoes if you visit Dunn’s River. Buy them before you go or at the shops on the side of the resort.

Feel free to message me if you have any questions.

Room Tip: I think Concierge was worth it.
Santa Clarita
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

Wonderful vacation and escape from reality. Jamaica is so beautiful and full of outwardly friendly people. The resort featured amazing staff who delivered exceptional service, they were genuinely friendly, fun, and seemed to take a personal commitment to ensure that we thoroughly enjoyed our stay! The resort was very clean, had wonderful food - maybe too good for our lack of will power ;) very tasty drinks, great entertainment, water-sports, very clean rooms, well equipped gym, fun tours/drivers/guides. The only area that could have been better was the time it took to get the food in the restaurants - went to the buffet often and there were always many different options that were excellent in their own right. So many memories and love to be considered a "Ja-American"- Can't wait to comeback!!!
There were so many wonderful people and I know that I'm forgetting some of them, but these people really made our vacation so special - Thank you to you all - Gavin - omelette extraordinaire,
Daniel, Carlos, Claude, Prince, Judy, Janice, Binji , Devon, Aaron, Shanneak, Curnel, Kerry-Lee, Junior, Robert Wisdom, Gerald, Robert Wisdom, Rockeeto, Juanita, Marlon, Calvin - maintenance, Chain "2 Chain", Ann-Marie's smoothies, , Seante, Mikhale, Chefs and Pastry Chefs, Nakisha, Sharon, Damion, Tricia, HTP OShane, Flowers, DJ Mario, HTP Rashane

Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

We had a fantastic vacation at Beaches Ocho Rios. The included transportation between the Montego Bay airport and the resort were as advertised (clean shuttle, safe ride, 1hr 45min). The facilities/grounds were beautiful and well kept. Our party of 5 (grandma, mom, dad, son(14), daughter(10)) fit comfortably (if a bit cramped) in our clean, well-maintained room (thanks Claudette in housekeeping for taking care of us).

I was pleasantly surprised with the quality of the food and service(Daniel does great work at Eleanors). I think the individual restaurant design here is better than what I've seen at all-inclusive resorts that serve food from a giant buffet (e.g. Club Med - Sandpiper). The food was fresh and the variety and choices satisfied even our typically picky eaters. Aaron at the swim-up bar did a good job keeping the kids flush with chocolate milk shakes!

The activities available kept us moving for our week-long stay. We loved the snorkeling and sailing (the equipment was in good shape). The beach is beautiful with plenty of shade and seating. Roger and Roshawn went out of their way to make our family comfortable in an ocean environment. I didn't believe my children would go sailing (after a bad experience in San Diego), but R&R managed not only to get them out there, but to look forward to it each day! I was very pleased with the tennis facilities. The courts/nets are in great shape, and Esther (tennis pro) was fantastic. My son and I (both avid tennis players) had several high-quality lessons with her. Bring your own racquet if you don't like playing with inexpensive gear.

The Beaches resort is beautiful and well maintained, but the staff here really stands out. They're a big part of our positive experience! I realize they're paid to be pleasant, but I have the feeling many here are sincerely happy with their work...that positive vibe is contagious! Thanks.

We wouldn't hesitate to send our family and friends to Beaches Ocho Rios!

Yukon, OK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013 via mobile

My family of four (sweet wife and 11 & 14 yo boys) just returned from our stay June 7 thru the 14 th. Our history with all inclusives include Moon Palace, Barcelo, El Sid in Mexico, Iberostar in the Dominican, & Rose Hall Hilton in Jamaica. We have always chosen our resorts with the support of trip advisor research and a family friendly atmosphere. I must preface this review with the fact that the boys are finally old enough that we don't have to stare at them entire time to ensure their safety (overprotective I know but come on you are in a foreign country surrounded by water). I will start with a summary and end with the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Arrival was nice and easy. Customs was quick and the Beaches lounge offered beer, pop, and snacks. The experienced Beaches customers were smart enough to pack their Bubba keg insulated mugs to fill for the ride to the resort. Well, the ride to the resort warrants about six of these as it is a killer two hour and change journey with a stop at a quick shop about midway through for a bathroom break and drinks (of course not needed if you have your trusty Bubba keg, although the bathroom will be appreciated)! Our bus was quite full and the check in was a little different at the resort. we were welcomed with a drink and the entire bus was asked to wait together as a group. Then they passed around a clip board and then taken to our rooms accordingly. Hey wait a minute, they forgot to put that stupid band around my wrist. Not required at Beaches, oh yah mon!

Here's where the magic for us begins as we were given a tour of our room by Samanta from the front desk (nice touch). This is one sweet Jamaican, she answered all of our questions and was so attentive to all of our needs. We did kindly ask for an upgrade if one came open and she promised to keep us posted if a room came open.

The room was clean and cool and fairly large. We were very happy with our king size bed and one son had a pullout couch and the youngest had a single roll away type bed. Let me tell ya this bed was a piece of crap with torn fake leather sides and saggy mattress ( I've seen nicer beds at the dump). I open the fridge to ice cold drinks and water with one small problem. No beer (not acceptable for a 5 star luxury resort and hey I'm not asking for a twelve pack just a couple of beers). So within the first 15 minutes at the resort I have my good (Samanta), the bad (no beers mon), and that crappy bed was king of the ugly.

Next off to explore the grounds: the waterpark is incredible. There is roughly 8 plus slides and four were teenager/adult worthy quality slides. The boys enjoyed the red tube slide where the main objective is to attempt to skim across the water as you sit up with your arms extended (this old dude could never master it but the boys had it in a couple of days). There is a fairly medium sized main pool and very small pool by the gym (seen bigger at LaQuinta). The beach area is small about the size of a football stadium protected by rocks on one end and a guard at the other, so there was never a threat of anyone other than guests at the beach. There is a multitude of water activities that were free including sail boat rides, banana boat rides, water trikes, canoes, paddle boards etc.

Next off to Discover the food options. There are three restaurants, the BBQ poolside and the open air buffet. We found the food to range from good to excellent. The wood fired pizzas were extremely good as well as the lamb chomps, jerk chicken, and snapper. We were very surprised that reservations were not required which is customary at most all inclusives. The burgers are charbroiled similar to Burger King which is not my family's favorite but hey to each their own. The ice cream and nachos were tastey. Service varied quite a bit, Neptunes was super slow but you are on vacation right. No worries unless you have somewhere else to be, right. Breakfast was always excellent and a special shout out to Gavin, the happiest cook you will ever meet. We were a little disappointed the buffet was not air conditioned which is customary for most all inclusive, come on it's hot mon!

Now for the drinks: we were pleased to see several top shelf brands available and Red Stripe regular and light available on tap ( time to get out the Bubba keg). The kids were welcome at the swim up bar where we always enjoy friendly conversation and a mock tail with the boys. There is also virgin drinks available at the poolside BBQ restaurant. Devon and Aaron at the swim up bar were some of the best bartenders we have experiences. Good service with a smile is priceless and these guys do it ten hours a day six days a week. Thanks gentleman for making this our best all inclusive ever.

Now for the entertainment activities crew. These are some of the kindest most engaging people we have encountered in all of our travels. Damion Lee "Pepper" at the waterpark was such a kind soul to share stories and local history regarding Jamaica and their culture. Getting to know Pepper was another magical part of of our stay (sorry do I need to go to Disney World, heck no Jamaica is where it's at). We thoroughly enjoyed getting to know the rest of the staff as well, Ash you are an awesome individual, Monique, Junior ( that man has some serious dance moves), Reddex, and Mario, none are better. I must say that I never come home knowing ten plus names but this staff is exceptional.

Nightly shows: we are accustomed to high quality shows and this is definitely a weak point for this resort. Most are crappy at best. The fire dancers and beach party was fun but they ran out of chocolate for s'mores after five minutes (again minor stuff but not five star).

There are a few special add ons you can do such as candle light dinner on the beach, massage/spa packages, and the private cabana for the day. We chose the latter and what a wonderful pampered day. Venice and the Rocketman treated us like royalty for the day. They brought us drinks, meals, stocked the cooler with drinks and made us dinner reservations. This was money well spent and a nice splurge.

We did one excursion climbing the Dunn's river falls. This was an amazing hike up the falls and absolutely not for the faint at heart. We did the 10:00 and were so glad because the park was absolutely packed whe we left. Be careful not to accept any "free gifts" as they will demand money later. Swim shoes are a most as well as waterproof camera. The tour guides are happy to take pictures for you but will want a well deserved tip at the end.

We met more friendly guests on this trip than any ever and the boys have made some good friends. Shout out to our friends from Pittsburg and our fellow Okies from Piedmont, Mustang, and Norman.

We were so pleased with our stay we have booked Turks Beaches for next year and Ruppert was very accommodating at the come again desk.

Back to my friend Samanta at the front desk. On day four she pulled it off and was able to upgrade us to beach front concierge level. Wow, beyond amazing. Our room was slightly smaller but the view was amazing, the service even better, and guess what beer in the fridge. Again Samanta you are the best, thank you so much.

Okay the good the bad and the ugly:

Good- Staff are amazing and absolutely make this a five star resort!
Comfy bed
Good food and bar staff
waterpark is amazing
Free water sports
No reservations, towel cards, or wrist bands

Bad- Slow service in restaurants (50/50)
Small beach ( big enough for us but some will be disappointed)
Fridge not stocked with beer on non- concierge level

Ugly- Roll away bed (you will know when you see it)
Drive to and from resort is longggggggg (not completely your fault Beaches but it is painful)!

One final word: if you have older kids ready for more independence this is the perfect resort for you. Book it today!

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Boscobel
Hilton Rose Hall Resort & Spa
Beaches Negril Resort & Spa
The Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa
Sandals Ochi Beach Resort
Iberostar Grand Rose Hall

Been to Beaches Ocho Rios Resort & Golf Club? Share your experiences!