“Fresh Food and the Friendliest of Staff” 5 of 5 stars

Beaches Ocho Rios Resort & Golf Club
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   St. Ann, Boscobel, Jamaica   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Up To $335 in Air Credit!
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Boscobel
“Fresh Food and the Friendliest of Staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

I travel a lot, with and without family, and have visited several all-inclusives including 4 Sandals properties and 4 Beaches properties. You already know from the other reviews that you will enjoy yourself and be treated very well. So let me give you some comparisons and tips.

This is not Four Seasons or the Ritz Carlton. Do not stay here thinking you will get that kind of service and food continuously (sometimes yes). You can get better deals if you do things a-la-carte, so if you are just looking for the best deal possible, this is not for you.

Pictures of any resort/hotel are always done to give the best possible light. I never expect any resort/hotel to look exactly like the pictures, and no one should either. That said, Beaches is 90% on their pictures at all of their properties.

Sandals (including Beaches) have the best all-inclusive experience in this hemisphere. So if you’re looking for the best all-inclusive, you’ve come to the right place.

Beaches Ocho Rios gave us the best food and service than any other Sandals resort we have been to. Keep in mind that this is an overall rating and every Beaches property will give you good food and service. Ocho Rios was slightly ahead overall (about one-quarter of a star). Most of the food at Turks is imported. Most of the food in Jamaica is from the island. The fruit overall at Turks was slightly sweet; in Jamaica it was candy sweet. The pizza at Turks was much better than in Ocho Rios, probably the only food item that was better at Turks. I thought the snorkeling was equal to Turks. I did not go scuba diving. Those that did, tell me Turks is better.

Negril and Turks have much better beaches. Ocho Rios is man-made. If you want the perfect beach, try one of the others. However, Ocho Rios’ beach was very pretty too, with crystal clear water. Some seaweed, but most of the swim area is completely clear of it. You will not be forced to encounter it if you don’t want to.

The thing that is unique about Ocho Rios’ beach is that it is 100% private. You never had anyone asking you about para-sailing etc. That would get a little annoying to me at Negril and Turks. Also, because it’s private, it is the only one that offers drink service on the beach.

Two things I did like better at Ocho Rios were the Concierge service and the Sandals Signature Dinner. I felt the Concierge service was better than the other properties. We checked in and out there, they made dinner reservations every night for us, as well as excursions off the property. I do recommend you get this service if you can afford it. The other properties had a buffet for their repeat guests; this property had a multi-course sit-down dinner that was fantastic, with private music and a magician going from table to table.

Because this is the smallest of the Beaches, you see more of the staff and guests repeatedly than at the other properties. This allowed staff (and guests you made friends with) to recognize you and learn your name, likes, and overall make friends.

So, if you’ve been to another Beaches property already, or if this is the best property for your budget, I do recommend you give this place a try. I was surprised at how pleased I was with it. One thing worth saying – do not go here if you have mobility issues. Yes, you can get around using the ramps and the elevators, but since it is on the side of a cliff, you will constantly be going up and down. Try one of the other Beaches if you have mobility issues.

Some tips and comments.

If you have concierge service, make a point of going to the concierge party on Sunday afternoon – bingo with free prizes. Use their restaurant reservation system so you don’t wait in line.

When you go to the restaurants, see what the signature menu item is, and if you like it, order it. They were excellent at all the restaurants. Venetian has a menu-order breakfast if you prefer that over buffet. Visit each restaurant at least once. If you don’t have reservations, get there early so you don’t have to wait.

Young kids will have a blast. Older ones less so unless they enjoy spending time with family or meet new friends (ours did both). Drinking age is 18, but not enforced very well. What that means is if you’re 14 or over, you can get served alcohol. So, you have three choices with regards to your teen: 1) you don’t mind that they drink; 2) you trust them completely and know they would never drink, or 3) you keep track of where they are and what they’re doing and smell their breath constantly. This is true at any of the Beaches. This also explains why you pay adult rates on your 16-year-old at Beaches even though they aren’t supposed to drink.

Go online just before you go and see if any of the cruise liners are going to be in town while you’re there. If you do an off-property excursion, choose a day when the cruise liner is not docked. We visited Dunns River during a cruise ship dock and regretted it. Some other guests did the same thing with the dolphins.

If you arrive and leave during sunlight, the drive is just fine. You are in air-conditioning and one side is the sea and the other side small mountains. I thought the views were great. You stop half-way for bathroom and snacks. I do recommend you purchase Jamaican trinkets at this store too.

The gift shop has sales on Friday evening and Saturday morning.

I wouldn’t pay extra for the dinner on the beach. It’s the same food quality as Eleanor’s, but with a lot more wind. Instead, have a two-person dinner at Eleanor’s on their outside deck overlooking the ocean. It’s included.

I did miss the lazy river, but there are three big slides, 2 medium slides, and 3 small slides that my teens and I all enjoyed. Lie on your back, put your hands behind your head, and arch your backside off the slide if you want the fastest experience possible. Because of the number of slides and size of the resort, we had very little wait to go on one as compared to the other Beaches properties.

We never had problems with seats at the beach or pool. It looked to be pretty full when we were there. Towels were there about 80% of the time – better than Turks. Water pressure and hot water were there about 90% of the time. I consider that pretty good, but Turks was 100%.

The entertainment is primarily for younger kids, but as adults, we laughed a whole lot. We did not experience any overly slow service. Sometimes it came right away, sometimes a little bit longer. If your child needs immediate service, I recommend the buffet. Take your child there, put them in camp, and enjoy a nice sit-down meal at one of the restaurants.

For evening entertainment for adults and older kids this is what I recommend. The Bayside Bar is good for watching sporting events and drinking and eating popcorn. Find the channel from your room channel list before you go so the bartender can input it. Look at the daily schedule. If it shows piano bar, visit the piano bar. Some days the player was only there for 90 minutes, but it was a fun 90 minutes. If it shows music at the Opa bar, go visit there that night. The views from both of these bars are outstanding.

Club Liquid was fun. It is not very large. The music is a little loud, and you should feel free to ask the DJ to play stuff that you know. The selection wasn’t great, but good enough. Some of the staff would be happy to dance with you or your children if you like.

The balconies on most of the concierge rooms are also where you enter and exit your room. Sometimes others would walk along the balcony. You will not get 100% privacy. But your chairs and table are yours. As with all hotels, keep anything valuable, including cell phones, locked in your safe. My family rule is no cell or internet service while we’re there, so we have nice interaction without distraction during meals and recreation.

When it rains, it is almost always for a short while and then it clears right up. The pool bar makes great milk shakes. I enjoyed eating lunch and then having a milk shake for dessert.

The shops on the side are cheaper than the gift shop, but they aren’t great deals. Sometimes, you need to tell them what you want and they will bring it for you later or the next day. I recommend buying your keepsakes at the store you stop on during arrival and departure. You will need aqua shoes if you visit Dunn’s River. Buy them before you go or at the shops on the side of the resort.

Feel free to message me if you have any questions.

Room Tip: I think Concierge was worth it.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (663)
Santa Clarita
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

Wonderful vacation and escape from reality. Jamaica is so beautiful and full of outwardly friendly people. The resort featured amazing staff who delivered exceptional service, they were genuinely friendly, fun, and seemed to take a personal commitment to ensure that we thoroughly enjoyed our stay! The resort was very clean, had wonderful food - maybe too good for our lack of will power ;) very tasty drinks, great entertainment, water-sports, very clean rooms, well equipped gym, fun tours/drivers/guides. The only area that could have been better was the time it took to get the food in the restaurants - went to the buffet often and there were always many different options that were excellent in their own right. So many memories and love to be considered a "Ja-American"- Can't wait to comeback!!!
There were so many wonderful people and I know that I'm forgetting some of them, but these people really made our vacation so special - Thank you to you all - Gavin - omelette extraordinaire,
Daniel, Carlos, Claude, Prince, Judy, Janice, Binji , Devon, Aaron, Shanneak, Curnel, Kerry-Lee, Junior, Robert Wisdom, Gerald, Robert Wisdom, Rockeeto, Juanita, Marlon, Calvin - maintenance, Chain "2 Chain", Ann-Marie's smoothies, , Seante, Mikhale, Chefs and Pastry Chefs, Nakisha, Sharon, Damion, Tricia, HTP OShane, Flowers, DJ Mario, HTP Rashane

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

We had a fantastic vacation at Beaches Ocho Rios. The included transportation between the Montego Bay airport and the resort were as advertised (clean shuttle, safe ride, 1hr 45min). The facilities/grounds were beautiful and well kept. Our party of 5 (grandma, mom, dad, son(14), daughter(10)) fit comfortably (if a bit cramped) in our clean, well-maintained room (thanks Claudette in housekeeping for taking care of us).

I was pleasantly surprised with the quality of the food and service(Daniel does great work at Eleanors). I think the individual restaurant design here is better than what I've seen at all-inclusive resorts that serve food from a giant buffet (e.g. Club Med - Sandpiper). The food was fresh and the variety and choices satisfied even our typically picky eaters. Aaron at the swim-up bar did a good job keeping the kids flush with chocolate milk shakes!

The activities available kept us moving for our week-long stay. We loved the snorkeling and sailing (the equipment was in good shape). The beach is beautiful with plenty of shade and seating. Roger and Roshawn went out of their way to make our family comfortable in an ocean environment. I didn't believe my children would go sailing (after a bad experience in San Diego), but R&R managed not only to get them out there, but to look forward to it each day! I was very pleased with the tennis facilities. The courts/nets are in great shape, and Esther (tennis pro) was fantastic. My son and I (both avid tennis players) had several high-quality lessons with her. Bring your own racquet if you don't like playing with inexpensive gear.

The Beaches resort is beautiful and well maintained, but the staff here really stands out. They're a big part of our positive experience! I realize they're paid to be pleasant, but I have the feeling many here are sincerely happy with their work...that positive vibe is contagious! Thanks.

We wouldn't hesitate to send our family and friends to Beaches Ocho Rios!

Yukon, OK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013 via mobile

My family of four (sweet wife and 11 & 14 yo boys) just returned from our stay June 7 thru the 14 th. Our history with all inclusives include Moon Palace, Barcelo, El Sid in Mexico, Iberostar in the Dominican, & Rose Hall Hilton in Jamaica. We have always chosen our resorts with the support of trip advisor research and a family friendly atmosphere. I must preface this review with the fact that the boys are finally old enough that we don't have to stare at them entire time to ensure their safety (overprotective I know but come on you are in a foreign country surrounded by water). I will start with a summary and end with the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Arrival was nice and easy. Customs was quick and the Beaches lounge offered beer, pop, and snacks. The experienced Beaches customers were smart enough to pack their Bubba keg insulated mugs to fill for the ride to the resort. Well, the ride to the resort warrants about six of these as it is a killer two hour and change journey with a stop at a quick shop about midway through for a bathroom break and drinks (of course not needed if you have your trusty Bubba keg, although the bathroom will be appreciated)! Our bus was quite full and the check in was a little different at the resort. we were welcomed with a drink and the entire bus was asked to wait together as a group. Then they passed around a clip board and then taken to our rooms accordingly. Hey wait a minute, they forgot to put that stupid band around my wrist. Not required at Beaches, oh yah mon!

Here's where the magic for us begins as we were given a tour of our room by Samanta from the front desk (nice touch). This is one sweet Jamaican, she answered all of our questions and was so attentive to all of our needs. We did kindly ask for an upgrade if one came open and she promised to keep us posted if a room came open.

The room was clean and cool and fairly large. We were very happy with our king size bed and one son had a pullout couch and the youngest had a single roll away type bed. Let me tell ya this bed was a piece of crap with torn fake leather sides and saggy mattress ( I've seen nicer beds at the dump). I open the fridge to ice cold drinks and water with one small problem. No beer (not acceptable for a 5 star luxury resort and hey I'm not asking for a twelve pack just a couple of beers). So within the first 15 minutes at the resort I have my good (Samanta), the bad (no beers mon), and that crappy bed was king of the ugly.

Next off to explore the grounds: the waterpark is incredible. There is roughly 8 plus slides and four were teenager/adult worthy quality slides. The boys enjoyed the red tube slide where the main objective is to attempt to skim across the water as you sit up with your arms extended (this old dude could never master it but the boys had it in a couple of days). There is a fairly medium sized main pool and very small pool by the gym (seen bigger at LaQuinta). The beach area is small about the size of a football stadium protected by rocks on one end and a guard at the other, so there was never a threat of anyone other than guests at the beach. There is a multitude of water activities that were free including sail boat rides, banana boat rides, water trikes, canoes, paddle boards etc.

Next off to Discover the food options. There are three restaurants, the BBQ poolside and the open air buffet. We found the food to range from good to excellent. The wood fired pizzas were extremely good as well as the lamb chomps, jerk chicken, and snapper. We were very surprised that reservations were not required which is customary at most all inclusives. The burgers are charbroiled similar to Burger King which is not my family's favorite but hey to each their own. The ice cream and nachos were tastey. Service varied quite a bit, Neptunes was super slow but you are on vacation right. No worries unless you have somewhere else to be, right. Breakfast was always excellent and a special shout out to Gavin, the happiest cook you will ever meet. We were a little disappointed the buffet was not air conditioned which is customary for most all inclusive, come on it's hot mon!

Now for the drinks: we were pleased to see several top shelf brands available and Red Stripe regular and light available on tap ( time to get out the Bubba keg). The kids were welcome at the swim up bar where we always enjoy friendly conversation and a mock tail with the boys. There is also virgin drinks available at the poolside BBQ restaurant. Devon and Aaron at the swim up bar were some of the best bartenders we have experiences. Good service with a smile is priceless and these guys do it ten hours a day six days a week. Thanks gentleman for making this our best all inclusive ever.

Now for the entertainment activities crew. These are some of the kindest most engaging people we have encountered in all of our travels. Damion Lee "Pepper" at the waterpark was such a kind soul to share stories and local history regarding Jamaica and their culture. Getting to know Pepper was another magical part of of our stay (sorry do I need to go to Disney World, heck no Jamaica is where it's at). We thoroughly enjoyed getting to know the rest of the staff as well, Ash you are an awesome individual, Monique, Junior ( that man has some serious dance moves), Reddex, and Mario, none are better. I must say that I never come home knowing ten plus names but this staff is exceptional.

Nightly shows: we are accustomed to high quality shows and this is definitely a weak point for this resort. Most are crappy at best. The fire dancers and beach party was fun but they ran out of chocolate for s'mores after five minutes (again minor stuff but not five star).

There are a few special add ons you can do such as candle light dinner on the beach, massage/spa packages, and the private cabana for the day. We chose the latter and what a wonderful pampered day. Venice and the Rocketman treated us like royalty for the day. They brought us drinks, meals, stocked the cooler with drinks and made us dinner reservations. This was money well spent and a nice splurge.

We did one excursion climbing the Dunn's river falls. This was an amazing hike up the falls and absolutely not for the faint at heart. We did the 10:00 and were so glad because the park was absolutely packed whe we left. Be careful not to accept any "free gifts" as they will demand money later. Swim shoes are a most as well as waterproof camera. The tour guides are happy to take pictures for you but will want a well deserved tip at the end.

We met more friendly guests on this trip than any ever and the boys have made some good friends. Shout out to our friends from Pittsburg and our fellow Okies from Piedmont, Mustang, and Norman.

We were so pleased with our stay we have booked Turks Beaches for next year and Ruppert was very accommodating at the come again desk.

Back to my friend Samanta at the front desk. On day four she pulled it off and was able to upgrade us to beach front concierge level. Wow, beyond amazing. Our room was slightly smaller but the view was amazing, the service even better, and guess what beer in the fridge. Again Samanta you are the best, thank you so much.

Okay the good the bad and the ugly:

Good- Staff are amazing and absolutely make this a five star resort!
Comfy bed
Good food and bar staff
waterpark is amazing
Free water sports
No reservations, towel cards, or wrist bands

Bad- Slow service in restaurants (50/50)
Small beach ( big enough for us but some will be disappointed)
Fridge not stocked with beer on non- concierge level

Ugly- Roll away bed (you will know when you see it)
Drive to and from resort is longggggggg (not completely your fault Beaches but it is painful)!

One final word: if you have older kids ready for more independence this is the perfect resort for you. Book it today!

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Oviedo, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

To enjoy Jamaica and Beaches Ocho Rios you have to be able to relax. When you get to your airport, check your picky attitude and fast paced life under the plane and hope the airline loses it because it won't make it thru the immigration line into Jamaica.

If you are the type who doesn't mind waiting a few minutes while your waiter sings and balances the wet floor cone on his head you will do just fine. If you are the type who will get up and try it yourself... THIS IS THE PLACE FOR YOU!! Be honest with yourself, if that just annoys you and you are going to track down a manager to complain then find a different island.... (Staten Island).

Is this resort 5 stars? YES. Is this resort an endless party for all ages? YES Are the staff well trained, amazingly accommodating, and friendly? Yes. Is this the Ritz Carlton? NOOO... AND THEY DONT CLAIM TO BE. If you like high tea at noon go find a Ritz Carlton don't stay here. However, they do have a wide selection of tea and espresso maker available.

Culturally, the Jamaican people (generally) are fun loving and hard working. They will do anything for someone who appreciates them and has a smile on their face. A kind request to fix an issue will be well received and fixed (on island time). Yelling and insulting will be met with a vanishing act and you may never see your waiter/waitress/front desk clerk/etc. again.

You CAN get every dollar worth out of this trip and more.... if you do it right. This is my paradise and we already booked a trip in January.

Now I will tell you the good and the bad.

As a grown adult I choked back tears leaving Beaches Ocho Rios. I saw others literally crying and hugging staff. Then there was one guy screaming and yelling about his "$9000 in cash someone stole out of his room" I later saw him holding it red-faced over his open bag. I think it was in there and he didn't see it. But yeah, he actually had that much cash... STUPID. I took $100 and came home with $20. Exactly how many conch shells does one need?

Being in a 3rd world country with children can be a little scary. The airport and customs was the worst part. They told us to fill out one form per family on the plane but we needed 1 per person so it was crazy trying to fill out 3 more forms in line at the customs department. BRING A PEN!! Heck, bring 10 and sell them for $10 each at the airport. They were in great demand. We held the kids tight but were greeted by a Sandals/Beaches rep right away and whisked into their lounge for free drinks and cushy seats as we waited the 3 minutes to be called to go to the bus. Just enough time to pee the kids and grab a beer. We didn't let the porter take our bags since they beg for a larger tip no matter what you give them. So, if you use the porter, give them a $1 and then when they look at you as if you just pillaged their parish give them "your last $5" and jump on the bus fast. Make sure your bags are on the same bus. (no bad experiences there just a good idea) Yes, the trip from the airport to the resort is 2 hours.... it's 2 hours of site seeing you will never experience in the USA. Beautiful mountains on one side and crystal clear ocean on the other. Our driver talked the entire time about the island and special land marks as we passed them. Honestly, I understood about every 5th word he said and I couldn't care less. IT WAS AWESOME! Colorful buildings, hords of goats and people all along. The bus is air conditioned and comfortable enough. It was a small bus and a bit cramped but not bad. If you get sick riding on windy roads take a Dramamine and ask to sit up front (a $5 in your hand when you ask will ensure a yes, a $10 and he will probably let you drive). He offered to stop half way but no one on the bus needed to so on we went.

Upon arrival at the resort our room was ready. A rum punch and smiling staff who took our bags to the room made for a great start. Of course, some people's rooms were not ready... so pack a backpack with your families bathing suits and sunscreen and relax at the pool if that's the case.

They didn't have maps ready because they are remodeling but they offer tours twice a day.

Get to know the names of some of the waiters and shake their hands and talk to them. NO TIPPING. Request them when you get to the restaurant and they will treat you like royalty. The buffet was good. Kids food was a bit limited but the buffet is large enough that even the pickiest kids will survive. My kids are super picky about food but liked their fresh fruit smoothies, fresh fruit (un-smoothied), bread, pizza, chicken (sometimes) and ice-cream.

Bees swarm all around the soda fountains but it's cool... they are Jamaican bees. Eveetin is Ireee... They don't sting unless you really tick them off. Just check your soda before you drink or go to the bar for a drink if the bees scare you. Even the kids love going to the bar. The drinking age is 18 so don't worry, you wont find your 9 year old passed out drunk at 10am. They make milk shakes and other virgin drinks all day long for the little ones.

The food was very good... not amazing.... but very good. Great selection. Fresh fruit and breads. The buffet I loved. Gavin would sing and dance with guests as he cooked meals. Juanita would make mimosa and sing and dance too. I LOVED THEM!! And they both love everyone they meet. We didn't go to the super fancy restaurant because they didn't have kids food. Kids are allowed but the dishes are too involved for my kids. They all had stuff like vegetables and other unnecessary ingredients my kids wont eat.

The beach area is just big enough. Yes, it is small. If you have kids you will love that you can see them and not worry about where they are at the beach. It is secluded from other beach areas and protected by security. This is not the resort for long walks on the beach unless you like pacing. I LOVE the beach at this resort!! At Beaches in Negril locals wandered onto the 'private' beach when security wasn't looking and tried to sell you everything from hair braiding to ganja. It was not relaxing at that beach. This is much better.

Rental equipment is all included for use just sign your name and off you go. It is all in GREAT shape. Well maintained. I learned how to sail the catamaran and loved that!! Snorkel trips were great, banana boat rides, paddle boards, wind surfers, kayaks, trike-bikes, and more. All included at no added fee and no tips to the staff. No need to carry money at all.

Bars were very nice and plentiful. No wait for drinks and they are generous and will make anything. If you like beer they have a great selection of red stripe or red stripe light. Yes, they were out of bananas most of the week and we were a bit frustrated about that until a local finally told us it was due to the storm that knocked out banana crops... finally growing back now... no one at the resort told us that :o/ Once we got the answer it made sense. They should have just told us so now you know.

They allow 1 or 2 vendors in a small area by the pool to sell beaded jewelry, shells, art work. The vendors were all super nice and not pushy at all.

The "players" are the staff who conduct the games. They were fantastic. We like good healthy family competition so we played a lot of the games and got to know them well and they all knew us too. I highly recommend sucking up your insecurities and letting loose and playing the games. They are really fun and the players are so funny. They give out points you can trade in at the end of the week for souvenirs. We got enough points we got a bottle of rum, a star fish, a couple necklaces, yada yada...

Evening shows and parties were GREAT! I am a talent agent so I get to see a lot of acts and let me tell you these guys WORKED for their money! Fire dancers, limbo dancers who can go under a flaming stick I can't even fit my fat head under, a uni cyclist who put my son on his shoulders, fire breathers, singers, bands, a guest talent show that was actually really good. They had Sesame Street costumes.. and not shabby ones. They had animatronic mouths synced to the music and voices so they actually spoke and sang. Top notch! My kids are a bit old for Sesame Street but they watched those shows too! I loved the evening shows!

Waterpark was awesome. Saw some people say it was small... not sure what they expected? 2 big windy slides, 2 speed slides, 1 smaller windy slide, and a bunch of smaller ones for the kids. it was great!!

They did a chocolate buffet one night. If you bring a shank you might be able to fight your way thru the crowd to lick the plates. We were told people run to it so we sat close as they set up and enjoyed filled plates of a variety of chocolate goodies.

We went on the excursion to Mystic Mountain. The zip line was really fun!!!! For all 4 of us. The staff there were great too! The bobsled was cool. Kids complained it was over too fast. We only had time to do those 2 things before our ride back to the resort was there. Would have liked to have more time.

Sesame Street characters were readily available for pictures quite often. Cookie even did a cartwheel! Never saw a character do that!

I can name at least 10 staffers who made this trip extra special. You will find your favorites too. Just in case management reads this they were - Davin, Gavin, Chevon, Milton, Juanita, Junior, Jamilla, Chloe, Kerry-Lee, Renex, Antonio, Monique, Elmo and Cookie Monster. The only grumpy staff member was Oscar.. he was a grouch.

Room Tip: We stayed in 1340 and it was around the back on the 3rd floor away from the pool. Good enough for u...
Raleigh, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

We are a returning customer to beaches. Our first experience to beaches was in Turks and Caicos in 2011. It was fabulous so we decided to book again in Ochos Rios in Jamaica June 2013.There is no comparison with resorts and I will describe below. The rooms seemed cleaner in Turks and Caicos. We arrived to Jamaica June 8, 2013 around 4:30 PM and waited only a few minutes in the lobby until our room was cleaned. The room lacked towels a few days in which we had to ask for them and received them quickly. We also lacked toiletries and finally after asking twice received them on Thursday after going over a review with one of the staff. The room service consistently stocked our refrigerator with complimentary soda (coke products) and water. The staff in Jamaica was friendlier than Turks. In Turks, we had to figure everything out ourselves and missed out on a lot of activities for kids. In Jamaica, we were offered tour of the grounds. Ash was phenomenal. she (one of tweens leaders) came around several times daily to make sure our sons knew about activities going on throughout the day and made sure the kids had a great time. She kept mom and dad informed of everything. She was very personable and excellent. Renex, Mario, and Junior
were particularly a hit with the kids and kept the party going. They were great also. Kerry Lee made sure everyone stayed entertained and had a great time with kids and adult games. She even completed a survey with us on the grounds so that the resort knew how we were doing and how they could get better. Diving was excellent with Prince. He was very patient with new divers and personable. However we are certified divers and it was nice to know that you could sign up daily for diving vs Turks. When we were at Turks, diving was signed up for the entire week leaving those that just arrived with no time slots until end of week. Jamaica was fair with diving and snorkeling. However, the Turks had a working dock and more boats than Jamaica. The reefs are no comparison as Turks are beautiful due to marine reserve. Jamaica's reefs were not as beautiful and were constantly fished due to no marine reserve? The banana boat ride was a hit with kids. Snorkeling was fun but not enough time. Need more boats in Jamaica so others can snorkel through day. The beach was small, water cloudy, and swam in a bunch of seaweed. We remained at pool rest of trip. The food was good. Hats off to the chef at Eleanor's. Fantastic food there nod Venetian. The bay side was good for kids as well as Neptunes. We had a candle lit dinner one night on the beach (extra cost) which was great. Sushana did an excellent job serving us and even came up to us at breakfast the next day to ensure we had a great time. She is very good at what she does. Gavin was fun, energetic, and a great cook at bayside buffet. He kept us entertained at the buffet and came out to say hello while we were in the pool. He even held a cooking show where we sampled some Jamaican dishes which were yummy! Our experience was a good one in Jamaica. Turks was great as well. There are always plus and minuses wherever you go. Overall a great time!

Room Tip: We had a suite which was great for family of 4!
Oviedo, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

We stayed at Beaches from June 8 to the 15th. Our family of 4 went, two boys 6 and 9. Starting from the beginning our ride to the resort took 1 hr and 50 minutes which is normal for a Saturday due to the high volume of people using the road. If you want the 90min ride go during the week. Our ride was easy and our driver was very knowledgeable and shared info along the way. Call us crazy but the ride across the island was enjoyable for us. It gives you the opportunity to see how people live. Our arrival at the resort was great! We were greeted with Rum Punch and a smile. Our room was ready and everything was in working order and very clean. We were escorted to our room and given a brief tour. There are no hotel maps currently because they just switches things around and they are getting them printed. However, they have two orientations everyday for those who wishes to have a guided tour around the property. We did not take a tour we simple walked around and explored on our own.
Food: The food was great for me and my husband. There were plenty of options available. I will say there could be some more options in the Bayside for the kids. There is a small kids corner with usually 2 items. The Venetian was excellent!! They accommodated our picky eaters with plain steaks and plain noodles. DAVIN was an excellent waiter!!! We did not eat at the really nice restaurant Elenor's. They do not have a kids menu which is fine. So we just skipped it. Neptune's was also good and located right by the beach which was nice. We ate most of our meals at Bayside the buffet restaurant and we loved GAVIN the omelette maker, JUANITA the mimosa pusher, Chevron and Milton our waiters most of the time. The BBQ place and Pizza place are connected, we ate here several times. Kids enjoyed the pizza. We also enjoyed the unlimited ice cream.
Bars: All the staff at the bars were very nice. Great selection of drinks! We loved the Dirty Banana drink however there is still a shortage of bananas due to hurricane sandy. So we only enjoyed them on a couple of the days. The kids loved the swim up bar as did I. The staff made my boys endless chocolate milkshakes.
Entertainment: The players made our vacation!!!! CHLOE, JUNIOR, KERRY-LEE, RENEX, MO-MO, JAMELIA and if I forgot someone SORRY. We loved all of you!! You made us feel like family. Our 9 years old loved JUNIOR and he cried went saying goodbye to him. The games were AWESOME!! Huggy bear, in the river on the bank, the Olympics, the treasures hunts and pool games were great. The evening shows were also enjoyable. The fire eater was great. Zappato was also great he balanced our 9 y/o on his shoulder and rode a unicycle. We loved the beach party and roasting marshmallows in the pit.
Misc: Both kids enjoyed the Xbox lounge. At the welcome party the spa staff offered free mini massages which I enjoyed. The Sesame characters were always around doing pics and giving hugs. The stage shows with the characters are cute. Cookie monster did cartwheels!! We did 4 snorkeling trips two 2 different spots. ORLANDO was a great guide and very funny! All the water sports staff were great. My 6 y/o loved the banana boat rides daily. We used the trike-bikes, kayaks, catamarans, paddle boards, and enjoyed it all. The equipment is in good shape. The dock was swept away in the hurricane and they plan to rebuild it but nothing yet. Recovering from a hurricane takes time. The boats pulled very close to the beach and you had to wade knee deep to get on the boats, not a big deal and the staff was there to assist. The kids loved hunting the hermit crabs and big crabs in the bushes.
Pools: The main pool is huge and in great shape. There is a smaller quite pool. The water park area was bigger then what I expected due to the reviews. The are 3 big slides two windy and one fast straight one. There are 5 medium slides two straight and fast and 3 windy. Then the rest are short slides for the little kids. Our 9 and 6 y/o were very happy with the water park. We live in Orlando, FL and have been the both Disney water parks and they were happy. No it isn't a massive water park but it does the job. They also had a shallow wading pool for the little ones. Two large hot tubes are also open to everyone.
We had a wonderful time and would recommend this resort!!! Ruppert at the Soon Come Back desk was very helpful and we did book a return trip in January and we can't wait to return.
Other tips: Do not let the porters in white at the airport take your bags 50 feet to ask for a large tip. we took our suitcases on our own. The welcome lounge at the airport says Sandles not Beaches but they have free drinks and a bathroom. Our wait wasn't long at the lounge barely enough time to drink a drink but you can always take it to go. Sign up for snorkeling trip happens the day before at 8:30am so if you want to go you must get up early to sign up. Our 6 y/o did try out the kids camp and had a good time but was more interested in the xbox lounge. We felt very safe and allowed him to go between the main pool and lounge on his own. Pool towels there was a shortage from time to time but not a big deal to us. We were always able to get a chair at the pool. Again, my 9 y/o loved the snorkeling but I have snorkeled at much prettier reefs. We did take one trip the zip-line and bobsled, had a great time at both. The people were very funny at the zip-line. We did not go to the welcome back party/dinner because our kids are picky and didn't want the food offered. Again not a big deal to us.

Again the people are GREAT and made the entire trip. The entire family agreed it was our best trip ever and we had to return. We have been to all 3 Beaches and the people at this one won us over. No one asked or expected a tip. However our housekeeper was fabulous and we did tip her at the end of the week. She reluctantly took the tip. She was in our room 2 or 3 times a day making it perfect.

A big thank you for making us part of the family and helping us make great memories!!!!

Room Tip: We were on the 3rd floor and we climbed the steps every time. In January we will request a ground f...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Cassie C, Sandals & Beaches Review Coordinator at Beaches Ocho Rios Resort & Golf Club, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Thank you so much for your review. We're so thrilled to read that you had such a great stay with us at Beaches Ocho Rios. We love to hear that we've met and exceeded the expectations of our guests. I will be sure to let our staff know of your kind mention. They will all be proud to know how much they contributed to your amazing experience.

We look forward to welcoming you back again for another fabulous stay!

Cassie C.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Boscobel
Jamaica Inn
Beaches Negril Resort & Spa
The Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa
Sandals Ochi Beach Resort
Iberostar Grand Rose Hall

Been to Beaches Ocho Rios Resort & Golf Club? Share your experiences!