“Best Family Vacation” 4 of 5 stars

Up to $335 Air Credit!
Ranked #1 of 3 hotels in Boscobel
“Best Family Vacation”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

I am a loyal Sandals Select member and have been for 13 years, this was my first Beaches vacation, and I was not disappointed! My husband and son travelled with me to Beaches Ocho Rios Beach and Golf Resort from May 11 to 18th and it was fabulous! My husbands and I went to the Sandals in Ocho Rios many years ago and swore never to go again because the commute from Montego Bay was more than 2 hours, long drawn out and horrible. So for me to decide to try this again and hope for better was a big leap of faith! The commute now is so much better. It took about an hour and 20 minutes with one stop. The highway is complete and the trip is no longer a tour of every village and rum hut along the way. Jutta Tours provides the transfers and was professional, safe and knowledgeable about the surroundings, answering all my sons questions.

Check in was quick and painless, and and the rum punch is lethal, so drink slowly or your face will be numb by the time they show you to your room. The resort has rooms at all price points and the family suites are clean, comfortable and roomy. I never felt like we were falling over each other and that was very important to me. The resort was amazing. Yes is built in the side of the hill, so there are a lot of steps. I have arthritis so somedays getting around can be difficult, but there are ramps and elevators everywhere. If mobility is an issue, just let the front desk know and I am positive they will bend over backwards to accommodate you and make you feel comfortable. The beach was a good size and family friendly. The water park was a hit with my son and all the kids and all the pools were wonderful. And the water sports staff are great. Especially Janice, Judy and Prince. The staff at this resort are all great. Friendly, helpful and playful with the kids. Fabian, Junior, Ash were among my family's favourite. Fabian plays a mean game of Simon Says! I would go back again without hesitation, and we were spoiled so much that I may never want to try a different Beaches resort...my family may have found it's home away from home.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

2,380 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (458)
phoenix
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

We stayed at Beaches Ocho Rios from May 4 - 11. We are myself, single mom, my best friend, and my 2 daugthers - 9 & 11. We could not have picked a better place to spend our long awaited vacation.

As others mentioned, the drive is 2 hours from the airport. We did not mind as we were in a van with just us and a fabulous lady driver. She gave us lots of information on all the areas we were passing and before we knew it, we were at the resort.

The resort - simply amazing!!! Greeted and taken directly to the Concierge to do our check in. Lucky for us, we were upgraded to a concierge Royal Orchid room - WOW!!! Room 2310 is amazing . The only thing we were disappointed in was the beds were smaller and not that comfortable. The balcony / patio was amazing - as oceanfront as a room could be. Perfect!! Concierge was very accommodating in all our requests - we celebrated 2 birthdays while we were there, and had a few requests for rum, wine, ice. The necessary items to keep on hand :)

We loved the pool, the waterpark, the beach, the food, But most of all, we loved the people!!! Because of this, I will be returning to this resort. I have already begun my search to visit again next May. Some of our favorites were Aaron and Devon at the pool bar - always kept us well hydrated and always ready to spend time chatting with us. Then there was Shaun in the main bar. Absolutely loved her!! Always a huge hello whenever we saw her and made sure she visited with us each time we stopped by. My youngest daughter stepped on a very large sea urchin. Because of this, we had to spend a couple hours in the nurses office. I can not say enough about Nurse Latonya. She is simply amazing. In the end, after much coaxing, my daughter allowed her to take out the spines from the sea urchin with a needle. She was so kind and continued to check on us to make sure my daughter was ok.

The food was also a hit. We loved the breakfast - especially Gavin - my dancing egg man. Such a cutie and always put a smile on our faces. All our dining experiences were wonderful and we certainly did not go hungry.

If you are looking for a place to have a fabulous family vacation - this is it!!! You can't go wrong!! Can't wait to go back!!!

Foxboro, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

We are a family of 5 (kids 8, 5, and 3) and stayed at Beaches Ocho Rios May 10-17, 2013. Honestly, I could gush about this place for several paragraphs. However, I want to make sure I don't over-sell this Beaches. I can say this--without a doubt we had a 5-star family vacation. But I want to explain more clearly what I mean by that.

Resort Grounds--I was very impressed by the resort grounds. They are well-maintained, and recently updated. In fact, some of the pictures on this website don't do the grounds justice. The lay-out of the resort could be daunting for someone with mobility issues (a lot of stairs), but I think that could be overcome by careful room selection (ground floor, or near the elevator). People with strollers appeared to be doing just fine.

Rooms--These are NOT 5-star accommodations. The rooms are clean, recently updated, and, best of all, LARGE. Our family had no problems in the room and we actually spent several hours a day there (our 3yo needed downtime). We had a room with a balcony that was very large, and my husband and I enjoyed it immensely.

Pools/Beach--The pools are great. They are very clean, and designed to be enjoyed by families. There was plenty of pool space that was not over the head of my 5yo. The water park is a lot of fun. I think it might be a stretch to say this place has 11 water slides. 8 are legit, but 3 are really like back-yard kiddie slides coming off the "pirate island" (EXCELLENT for the 3yo crowd). That said, 8 legit slides is awesome when you also have access to a beach AND another large pool. I've seen some reviews where people were disappointed that the water park was "small". I must say it definitely exceeded my expectations. The beach, as many other reviewers have said, is small. Know that before you go. We had plenty of room at the beach, and the roped off water area was great for my kids. I personally preferred it to a large expanse of sand, but that may be the Mom of 3 kids talking.

Food-- Let's face it, it's an all-inclusive resort. I must say, the food at Neptune's and Eleanor's far exceeded my expectations for an all-inclusive, and the Venetian was right up there. Bayside churns out buffets like a well-oiled machine. BBQ Park is exactly what it says it is--burgers, nuggets and nachos. After hitting Neptune's for lunch early in our stay, my family never looked back. If you spend most of your time at Bayside and BBQ Park, you've done yourself a great disservice. High-end food is available here, you just have to leave the main pool area. I had many "5-star all-inclusive resort meals". If you enjoy fine-dining in the States (which I do), just make sure you manage your expectations accordingly. I said it before, and I'll say it again, for an all-inclusive, the food available here is top-notch.

Staff--The staff at Beaches Ocho Rios is what makes your vacation. I'm serious. They are so friendly, kind and helpful you may choke up saying goodbye (my 5 yo whimpered the whole 2-hour ride back the airport--I'm sure that was fun for everyone else on the shuttle). If you read the other reviews, you'll see you leave this resort feeling like you made new friends. And while I could list them all here (Fabian, Junior, Aron, Jamelia, Everol, DJ Pablo, Daniel....on and on I could go) I'll spare you the list. Let's just say everyone from kids camp to entertainment to dining service to bar tending to lifeguarding to house keeping was fantastic. (With one notable exception--the front desk stinks. Check-in was fine, but after that, no one at the front desk seemed to know anything. Weird, because everyone else is so great. But no matter, within a few hours you will have met so many other helpful people you really won't need them.) And in the end, it is the staff that makes up for any issues you may have with any other aspect of the resort. Mediocre meal of chicken nuggets at BBQ Park? Go see your peeps at the pool bar. Room not as "modern-Caribbean-chic" as you thought it would be? Have Daniel serve you at Eleanor's. Kids rolling their eyes at you? Jump in to a Fabian-led dance lesson. If there was a way to rate service a 10 on this web-site, I would.

Extras--The Sesame Street shows are better than you think. Much, much better. Make sure you walk in the parade with the characters. Red Lane is great. We used it 4 times. All very good treatments. DJ Scratch Academy is a BLAST. Don't just send your kids--do the family session. DJ Pablo is a great combination of serious (he wants you to learn) and fun (he knows you are not actually trying to become a DJ).

You really won't be disappointed in this place if you go for a family vacation. Just remember it is not Atlantis water park meets Jean-Georges food meets Trump Towers rooms. It's an excellent family-friendly, all-inclusive resort where the staff raises your vacation to a whole new level.

Oh, and it really is 2 hours from the airport, so mentally prepare BEFORE you land in Jamaica.

Room Tip: If you've got young kids that will require you to be in your room for daily down-time, make sure...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Cassie C, Sandals & Beaches Review Coordinator at Beaches Ocho Rios Resort & Golf Club, responded to this review, May 24, 2013
Thank you so much for your great review of Beaches Ocho Rios! We're so glad that we were able to exceed your expectations and make this such an amazing experience for you and your entire family.

We look forward to welcoming you back for another 5-star vacation!

Cassie C.
Oakville, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

First of all, like you, I read alot of the reviews before deciding on where to go. This is the first time I've ever written a review, so it must have been good for me to do that.
We had a great time all week. From the food, the golf, the staff and of course the pool/beach were all well above expectations.
Alot of the reviews mention the rooms, and they're not far off. It wasn't in the best shape, but we only slept and showered there so it wasn't a big deal. For someone who wants to spend alot of time in their room (god knows why!), they may want an upgrade.
The food and the restaurants were fantastic. Our expections were far exceeded.
Like alot of the reviews I read, I was worried about not getting chairs by the pool or beach. Not a problem. We went down to the beach at 1 and there were tons of chairs available. Obviously going in Mid May was the right week to go due to it being much quieter than usual. We got lucky with the weather also since May is their rainy month. It only rained one morning.
The golf course was very good. About 30 min away and it was also very quiet. We never had to book a tee off time and just walked on when we wanted. The caddy was great (Austin), but can get expensive with tip, payment, and then had to buy them drinks while playing. Certainly a big help on the course though as they knew the greens inside and out.
As most of the reviews say, the staff were fantastic. I know I will forget a few names, but we want to especially thank Fabian, Junior, Ash, Gavin, Romane (found my sunglasses in the ocean after they fell off on the banana boat), Davin, Arron and many more.
Overall it was a great week. Not sure I would go back only because I would want to try something different next time. Would definietly recommend it though if you're taking the whole family. And definitely try a "dirty banana"!

Room Tip: We stayed in 1341. Great view over pool and you could see the ocean. As I said though, didn't sp...
Santa Maria, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

We have been on many family trips over the years, but this particular vacation was without doubt the most incredible family adventure we have ever experienced. From swimming with sharks & dolphins to snorkeling, sailing and climbing the Dunn’s River Falls.

Upon our arrival at the Beaches resort we were greeted by a wonderful group of people who extended a warm and friendly welcome, complete with musicians playing authentic Jamaican music.

Once in the reception area we were met by Rupert from the Soon Come Back desk, who helped us complete the check-in paperwork and answered my questions. Rupert became an immediate part of our extended Jamaican family an integral part of our entire vacation experience. He enhanced our stay by sharing in our daily experiences, sharing himself and his time with each member of our family.

We were escorted to our room by Recordo Reynolds, who welcomed each of us with his warm and outgoing personality. He then provided us with a personal tour of the resort and shared with us his wonderful personality and his musical talents. He became fast friends with our children and over the course of several minutes; we had adopted him as our son. Recordo truly improved our stay by staying actively involved with us and sharing in our daily experiences.

Our children participated in the Kids Kamp with Ash, Monique, Shadeen, Chloe, Renex, Dexton, Junior, Fabian, Kemar and the other Kemar, all who each shared their time, skills and personalities with us. While the main task for each of these guys was to work with our children, they included each of us, both as individuals and as a family, in their daily activaties. Throughout our stay we had the opportunity to get to know each of these staff members as individuals. We immensely enjoyed the opportunity they extended to us in sharing themselves, and truly consider each to be a part of our extended family.

Our children participated in so many of the daily activities it is hard to recall them all. From water sports to capture the flag, and the wonderful nightly productions including the fashion show and the talent show. The job done by each of these people is tremendous and truly provided such wonderful memories for each of us.

Special recognition is extended to:
Shadeen, who shared with us her true “character” and is our newly adopted daughter; Ash, who is a true sister to our children and a true friend to us; Renex, who shared with us his personality and “vision”; Dexton, who shared his time and dance talent teaching Samantha those great dance moves; And Fabian for understanding and getting our son Jeremy, you made his trip memorable.

Our children participated in the Scratch D.J. Academy with D.J. Pablo who helped them explore mixing, blending and scratching like a real D.J. Beyond the classes with the kids, D.J Pablo shared his time and thoughts with us as well. His insight and discussion with us truly added to our Jamaican experience. Thank you for sharing your time!

Christopher, the manager consistently checked with us to ensure our stay was memorable. He included us in various activities, shared with us behind the scenes musical rehearsals and was always available to us throughout our stay.

The bar offerings were exceptional. Our favorite bar tender, Zane was top notch, providing excellent drinks and taking good care of us throughout our stay. Shontel and Tangeel also went out of their way to make sure we always had everything we needed while at the various bar locations. Thank you guys for everything!

We participated in various water sports while at the resort including the Banana Boat, kayaking, the water bike, snorkeling and sailing. A Special thank you goes out to Donald for the “extra” snorkeling trip and a truly exceptional sailing trip. You went above and beyond! Thank you Patrick, Donald and Robert for going that extra mile and keeping us involved.

The food was generally good, with the kids’ favorites being the BBQ Park and the Bayside. Our adult favorites are the Venetian- great Italian food, Eleanor’s- a wonderful formal white glove evening, and the private candlelight dinner on the beach. Our favorite servers are Daniel and Moreese, you both took excellent care of us. A very special thank you to Daniel: for taking care of Samantha while she was on her first date, she will always remember this special evening.

Special thanks to Shevaun and Alex at the photo shop for capturing all of our memories with professionalism and skill.

We enjoyed all of our new friends and extended family members at Beaches Ocho Rios that we have already booked our return trip in October. Thank you Fiona for helping us to schedule this return trip and for all of your help while we were there.

Our gratitude and thanks to everyone at Beaches Ocho Rios for making this a truly memorable experience for our entire family.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
We really appreciate you posting about your wonderful stay at Beaches Ocho Rios! Providing excellent customer service is very important to us and it is always our pleasure to serve. We're so happy that our wonderful staff was able to make your stay so much more incredible. We are always so thrilled to read such kind comments from our guests and we thank you for your review.

We look forward to your next visit with us!

Cassie C.
Fort Worth, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

It did not take long after our arrival at Beaches Ocho Rios to discover we have friends in Jamaica. Devon, our pool bar bartender, quickly took care of our drink needs and took time to listen to the "travails" of our arrival (which were not at all travails). Throughout the week he had a ready smile, quick pouring arms and friendly conversation. As did Aaron, his partner behind the bar.

Then there was Chevon, OUR waiter at the Bayside restaraunt! In the middle of his busy shift and efficient work, he always had time to laugh and joke with us, share his interests and life, and help us understand the culture of this fabulous island.

Ash, became our memorable "Trouble Sister," when she put up with my often teasing sense of humor and wilingly demonstrated her expertise in Tae Kwon Do! Pretty good singer, too, I might add. She always ensure we were having fun and even coerced me into a spirited, exhilirating game of water polo.

It is important to me to understand the life of the people wherever we visit and Jaylan was quite interested in talking with me about that and how our lives differ.

Gavin, Papi, was a refreshing voice and quick with for us grouchy morning folk! His omlettes were fabulous and each had his spirit of laughter and fun in it. Janelle made our gift shop experience one that made us want to visit over and over.

For those of you who are interested in the resort itself. It was amazing! The food, drinks, rooms and service were all top notch and efficient. These people do not let friendliness get in the way of hard work and meeting the demands of tough customers.

There may be other Beaches/Sandals or all inclusive resorts to experience a great vacation, we will return to Beaches Ocho Rios because it is not often that the people are so memorable. It is not many places we have visited that after leaving we remember the names and smiles of such delightful people!!!

Kingston, Jamaica
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

The property is beautiful,well kept and clean newly remodeled. We were greeted warmly with a welcome drink then came the highlight of the day...Recordo from the front desk. His personality was so warm and cheerful,he made us feel so very welcome. He is definitely at the right spot.....front desk to welcome...cause that is what he does and clearly loves doing him.
The food was good but too much cheese on most things. Not so much things with cheese please!
The spa was Devine...Melissa friendly and pleasant.The masseuse was wonderful Jackie,she did an excellent job.
Most of the staff were eager to please a handful needs more training
The evening operations manager Christopher was quit impressive...he listened intently as I spoke with him as he took notes on all my concerns.
The smoothies at breakfast is a great idea.
My daughter Naomi age 4 had a ball in the kiddies park,never wanted to leave.
The nightly entertainment was real good.
I would recommend Beaches to anyone.
Keep up the good job guys!
Lisa G-G

Room Tip: Beach view not too close to nightly entertainment. East side rooms closer to kiddies park and dining...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Been to Beaches Ocho Rios Resort & Golf Club? Share your experiences!