“Great family vacation” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Boscobel
East Greenwich, Rhode Island
“Great family vacation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2011

We just returned from a week at Beaches Boscobel over Easter vacation. No resort will please everyone. I have done extensive travelling and have stayed in Ritz-Carlton's as well as Holiday Inn's. This property is neither. The accomodations are very nice. Rooms are clean and spacious and much better than average for the Carribean but not ultra luxury. The staff are wonderful and accomodating but again not the same as at "The Pierre" in Manhattan. The beach is small but this was a known entity prior to booking the trip. The food was very good and plentiful. The sit down restaurants unfortunately did have a long wait which was tough with kids but the choices at the buffet were varied and quality was top notch. Some people did have complaints about some of the things that were complained about on this board: "Turks and Caicos is better". "I can't believe they aren't coming by serving drinks at the pool" etc. This Beaches is half the price as Turks and Caicos and a much better value than most family resorts. I would reccomend it highly.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (499)
Toms River, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2011

Just returned form a 7 night/ 8 day stay at beaches Boscobel in a regular room. When we checked in we were a little skeptical our room was not ready so we had lunch and went to the pool which were both nice. When our room was ready we noticed our door was broken, the air was not working and requested a room change it took a while but we were moved and the new room was better. The accomodations are just OK, dated furniture, no clock but the fridge was stocked and the room was clean. If you are looking for a 5 star hotel this is not.
The main pool and water park are great, there were enough slides for the kids and my husband and I enjoyed them too. Towels are plentiful and wet ones can be exchandged for dry at any time the ool is open. I especially like thie swim up bar which my kids liked to get cold drinks from while swimming.
The kids club was great both my boys ages 5 and 9 had a blast. There were activities planned from9 AM till 9 Pm for each of them and they were age appropirate . My little one loved interacting with the characters and my older one enjoyed the scirence experiemnents and sports. The staff was great especially Suzette, Taz, and Kimono. I felt the boys were in good hands with them.
The food was good, we ate at all the different restaurants and always left full and satisfied. Orlando, Jomo and Andrew were wonderful.
The beach is small but there are great activies and friendly instructors, we snorleled, sailed, rode the waterbike,, banana boat, glass bottom boat and took a catamaran to DUnns River Falls.
What made this trip outstanding was the entertainment crew. Neshaune, Shauna, Deval,and Ainsley were all excellent. They truly made us feel great. They had a lot of fun activities and got everyone involved. We enjoyed the morning stretch in the pool and the poolside games during the day and the nightly entertainment. The bands and shows were great. These people are the best in the business and are truly and assest to the resort.
I did use the spa services and Kerry Ann was wonderful. The fitness center needs some updating as the equipemnet is worn and the room is just way too hot to exercise in.
Alll in all this was a great vacation, we would recommend it to anyone looking for a great get away.

Wakefield, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2011

Think twice before booking a vacation at Beaches Boscobel in Ocho Rios, Jamaica - unless you like getting up at 5AM. I am not exaggerating that EVERY seat by the pool (all 200) is booked by 5AM every day (other than the water park). I was quite stressful having to get up so early just so I could enjoy my day. There is also really no beach. Too bad, because it was beautiful, and the service was five star. But it's all useless if there is no place to sit in the sun. Watch this shocking video! http://bit.ly/hR66uo

NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2011

We just returned from our 5 night 6 day trip. I traveled with my Spouse and my 3 children (7yrs,10yrs,12yrs) we were very impressed with our room and overall experience of Beaches. We knew that we were going to have to travel 2 hours to get to the hotel so it was expected. In my opinion, the ride was worth it. The weather and the resort were beautiful! Between the pool, the slides, and of course the water activities, there was no need to leave the resort. The food was definetely above average and had something for everyone. My kids really loved the self serve ice cream and slushie station. We went on vacation to relax and thats just what we did. Our children did not use the kids camp but found a lot of activities going on at poolside. Beaches can be a little pricey but we felt it was well worth the money. We are actually in the process of booking another Beaches Vacation, we can't wait to go back!

Stuart, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2011

Our first all inclusive resort so we have nothing to compare to in that respect.

Driver hired by resort was out of control and dangerous. My husband and I had to fuss at him 4 or 5 times. Trip is 3 hours from airport.

Food was plentiful, but not enough options for a week long stay. Two restaurants, a cafe, snack bar and a buffet. Fruit and vegetables were very good. Ethnic food was nice to try. The only option after 11pm was jerk chicken or burgers....which is fine for families who are in bed. We had teenagers who were up later and hungry at nights. And I feel that since I had paid for food as part of the stay, I should be able to eat at my leisure.

Entertainment was okay, lots of silly games and cruise type things during the day. The bands at night were fairly good. We did enjoy the local marching band that played in the Sesame Street Parade.

Drinks were good and bar service was superb. Only Red Stripe beer was available so if that is an issue, buy it on the way to the resort.

Beach was small, but chairs were available except one day that we were late going down. A few vendors rowed boats up each day selling shells and jewelry and reefer, but they were not bothersome. Most families seemed to enjoy interacting with them.

Laundry facilities are touch and go and $5 per wash and $5 per dry. That included detergent, but you had to dig your hand into bucket and scoop out as the automatic dispenser didn't work.

Our 13 year old girls loved the snorkeling, which they did several times, they took scuba lessons, rode the banana boat and the water trike. They were perfectly content to stay at the resort and opted out of off site activities.

A trip downtown is $60 total plus tip and lasts for two hours. Cab driver remains with you.

No ATM onsite and Internet was $43 for the week. I felt it should have been included....all inclusive to me means all inclusive, but we would know to question this if we do this type of vacation again.

Rooms were small, only one bathroom, and well worn, but kept immaculate and the bed was perfect. We were on the first floor in 1131 which had a great location for our girls to be able to go to the buffet or pool and still be within our sights.

The waterpark was very nice and clean, but not overly large and it did close at 5pm each day. Which again is fine for families with little ones. Teenagers a bit harder to entertain in the evenings.

The drinking age is 18 in Jamaica. If this is a concern with teens I wouldn't stay there as they were serving those even younger. My daughter asked a girl how old she was ordering a drink at the swim up bar and she said 16.

The grounds were beautiful and well manicured.

We used the spa for several different treatments and enjoyed them all. They run specials each day for huge savings so ask in advance before you book a treatment. You may find the next day you could have gotten that plus another one for about the same price.

We paid $4800 for the week for 4 people and feel a fair price for what we received. I spoke with people whom paid much more and I would have been disappointed had we done so.

Colorado Springs, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2011

We were nervous about this trip because of all of the bad reviews on this site. I have never written a review before but am now compelled to do so.
We went over spring break, and traveled with 3 children and 5 adults, aged 7-67. The resort was full but it did not seem crowded. As pictured, the beach is small, so we were prepared. We enjoyed it very much and we loved the snorkeling, banana boat & other water activites. There is plenty of shade and chairs. The staff at the waterfront are very helpful and try to engage guests in the fun. Or you can just sit and relax, as many do.
We had plenty of pool time, there were plenty of dry towels (sometimes we had to wait half an hour, but if that is our biggest worry, how bad can it be?), we experienced efficient shuttle service (we were aware of the 2 hour ride - it was scenic & fun to see some of Jamaica outside the resort), we enjoyed good food, as many beverages as we wanted, gracious treatment by every employee encountered, etc.
The photographers took many pictures of our kids and we scheduled a free photo session. The photographer took us to 2 different locations, so the cost for the photo-quality CD was actually a good value for us.
This is not a 5 star property, nor is it billed as such, and the price reflects this. If people want a 5 star property, there are other luxury properties nearby and closer to the airport (Half Moon is lovely).
We stayed in concierge-level, beach front rooms. I recommend this splurge if you are traveling during a busy season with younger children. The benefit is that you may book dinner reservations and therefore do not need to wait in line for a table. The lines did not look bad, but you can avoid them altogether if you are in a concierge-level room. This feature also allows you proprietary booking for snorkeling & glass-bottom boat tours, which is nice.
We enjoyed the food - ate at all the restaurants. Arizona's has a lovely beachfront location but the food is not so great. We didn't care - we were all having a great, relaxing time visiting, playing and being cared for by the excellent staff Beaches employs there.
This is a family resort, and I didn't see a single patron using their own large "Big Gulp"-style cups. Frankly, with unlimited refills while enjoying the hot Jamaican sun, why not treat yourself to a fresh drink when you need one, rather than nurse a 32 oz. drink that will quickly become lukewarm? I don't agree at all with the negative reviews - it is a very fun, service-oriented, family-friendly spot. We would recommend this resort to friends and we would love to go back.

Room Tip: The concierge-level rooms are worth the expense
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Columbia, South Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2011

This was the vacation that would never end. We arrived in Jamaica and boarded the bus for Boscobel. Be prepared to tip the baggage handlers and bus drivers. They are paid very little for this service and do request tips. The drive from the airport was 2+ Hours. It does seem to go fast.

We arrived at the resort at 5pm. We headed to the pool with our towel cards ( you are limited to 1 towel per person) and the lifeguard informed us we could not get towels because the pool closed at 5 everyday. We go to the front desk. With much displeasure, they gave us towels and told us the pool was not closed but no lifeguard is on duty after 5. The lifeguard continues to push people to leave the pool. Relaxation is out the window. The waterslides don't open until 10am (sometimes 1030) and closes promptly at 5pm. We picked this resort because of the slides. We would have like the pool and slides to be more accessible.

The Xbox 360 Lounge had a good selection of games. It was a good break from the sun.

The tennis pro was one of the best employees. She was helpful and friendly. She holds clinics. Even if you have never played I suggest you try a beginner clinic with her.

Food is mediocre, at best. I ordered a steak cooked medium rare at Arizona's. It came out charred through.

Drinks are small ( about the size of an airline cup). You can tell the return guests. They bring their own big gulp cups from home for drinks from the bar. The bar fills those. The bar does not skimp on the liquor. If you want a mixed drink they do a good job. Bring your big cups.

There is room service but no menus. There is a spa but no menu of services. There are bars but no menus. I would have liked the resort to put that in the room. The resort does a schedule of events much like cruise ships do. Some days we would have a schedule in our room at the end of the day for the next day. Some days the schedule wouldn't be printed until noon, the day of.

Photographers are walking around, but good luck in getting them to take a picture of your family. If you want pictures taken you must set up an appointment with the photo center. The pictures are very expensive. $16 for a printed 5x7. Almost $400 for 30 pictures on a disk.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family

Been to Beaches Ocho Rios Resort & Golf Club? Share your experiences!