“Quality!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Abbey Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Chorlton-cum-Hardy
Abbey Lodge
You added Abbey Lodge to your Saves list
501 Wilbraham Road, Chorlton-cum-Hardy M210uj, England   |
Lake District, United Kingdom
“Quality!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

We have just spent one night here & what a joy to behold. It is a beautiful period house with all the character features retained...it is so beautiful & immaculatly clean & I mean immaculatly clean from the top of the house to the bottom. Our room was on the ground floor & we thought we might be troubled by traffic noise, not so, the bed was very comfy with a quilt which was just luxury, so soft warm & snuggly we fell asleep instantly through till morning. the windows are double glazed which kept out all noise. You help yourself to a continental breakfast with a vast choice of everything! The fridge is well stocked with juices milk yogurts butter (LURPAK) cheese everything TOP OF THE RANGE QUALITY (no budget cereals, juices etc. like you often get in 'chain' hotels!!!)
I cannot recommend this place highly enough. Heather the owner is very friendly & helpful. Heather's rates are amazing...if anything she doesn't charge enough! It is only minutes from the centre of Manchester making it an excellent destination for anyone wanting to visit all Mani has to offer. My visit was for a late hosptal appointment & we didn't want to drive home afterwards. What a find & we will return just for the chance of a relaxing stay in probably the best place we have ever stayed & that includes a 5* in the centre of Manchester1 Thank you very much Heather xx

Room Tip: I would suggest every room is 58 quality
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
chorltongirl, Owner at Abbey Lodge, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Reading your review gave me a great deal of pleasure! I aim to achieve the highest quality from breakfast to the beds and bedding. I am pleased you noticed the small details that make the difference that I try to achieve.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Brighton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

Gosh, where to begin?

I stayed for the best part of five weeks back in Sep-Oct 2012, mostly alone but sometimes with my boyfriend. I had called in advance to discuss some questions then book. Heather was on holiday in New Zealand at the time but the staff were heplful on the phone and Heather took the time to e-mail me from her amazing holiday to confirm my booking and say she'd call when back in the UK to discuss the finer details (which, of course, she did). The times my boyfriend planned to stay with me, and the couple of weekends I was going away to travel then come back again were no problem at all, my unorthodox arrangements did not phase Heather at all! She is a seasoned professional who bends over backwards to make sure you feel welcome at all times.

Those weeks in Manchester heralded the beginning of a crazy scheme of work-training-on-the-job-in-The-South-while-studying-part-time-in-The-North. I shan't go into more detail other than to say my schedule was intensively chaotic and Abbey Lodge really was an oasis of calm for me. The rooms were all comfortable also with wi-fi access are large tables which meant I could get on with lots of online 'book work'. The rooms had wonderful DAB radios with alarm features so I could set my favourite station to wake me.

I got a full tour of Abbey Lodge staying in four different rooms, one on each floor, on that visit (from me coming and going, sometimes with my boyfriend, sometimes alone) and on my return in January. I have to say all were of a high standard of cleanliness and comfort. Complementary kitkats on arrival each evening were a thoughtful touch. The continental breakfast is excellent (if you have any special requirements Heather kindly does her best to get these in), you just take what you fancy back up to your room on a nice wooden tray at whatever time of morning you need.

The location is also great. Chorlton is a quiet area with nice character but has good bus and tram links up to the main city centre. There are nice local vegetarian eateries. I'm grateful for Heather telling me about the fantastic Unicorn grocery, which is an old-school veggie co-op where I managed to find no end of unusual but tasty snackfoods. A large Morrisons is a stone's throw away which is useful for getting any general odds and ends.

I went back in January for a much shorter visit (exams >_<) and it really felt nice to be back. I was sorry it was such a short stay.

Thank you again Heather!

Room Tip: Feel free to call Heather about which rooms are available with what facilities (eg some have a bath...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
chorltongirl, Owner at Abbey Lodge, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Thank you for your lovely, detailed review. Given the work you did while you were with us, I can't imagine how you had the time! I hope you passed the exams. I would like to think that we played a part in creating a calm environment in which to prepare for such a stressful situation. Heather
Armagh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

Heather met us when we arrived. She runs a very good Guest House. Our room was downstairs and it was very spacious with two relaxing soft chairs and table to eat from. Our bed was made every day and the place was very clean. Customer comfort comes first and I would recommend this Guest House. The novelty of bringing your continental breakfast to your room as and when you liked was a plus. I hope to be back in the distance future. The tram station is just 200 metres from the Guest House and there are good local eating houses in Chorlton.
Dave and sandra.

Room Tip: Room 1 downstairs spacious and big.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
chorltongirl, Owner at Abbey Lodge, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
I aim to meet everyone on arrival as it helps to make guests feel welcome. Unfortunately this is not always possible and I have to make other arrangements for key collection. The Metrolink tram has made it easy to get around from Chorlton, The system has been extended since your stay, it's great fun when new routes open, and there are more in the pipeline. I hope you will make it over to Manchester again soon. Heather
Harrogate, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

Stayed one night to be near our relatives. Our room was large, very clean and contained two comfortable armchairs and beds, as well as table, tv etc. The bathroom was lovely, with ample towels and emergency toiletries. We particularly liked the fact that the facilities were not "overchintzed" and the welcome we received, being told by Heather that we could help ourselves at any time to fresh milk and other things on the landing outside where the continental breakfast is laid. Breakfast was ample and leisurely, with trays provided so that it could be carried into our room. Abbey Lodge is a welcoming B&B in a non-intrusive, non- fussy way. We will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
chorltongirl, Owner at Abbey Lodge, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
I am pleased that you say that you will stay with us again. We will make every effort to make each stay at least as good as the last. We are constantly upgrading in order to keep up a good standard. Our aim is to be unfussy and not to intrude, whilst being friendly, so I am pleased you appreciated this approach! Heather
Retford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

We stayed here in June 2011 and I wrote a review immediately afterwards. We stayed here again at Christmas to find the same levels of excellence as before. This is a top quality establishment where the customer's comfort is paramount. There are many excellent reviews on this site all of them justified. The only negative reviews have been regarding the style of breakfast. This is clearly stated in the web site and, of its kind, is the best I have ever had.

This visit we did not have a car so a point on transport is worthwhile. Almost directly opposite is a bus stop where you can take a bus into Manchester centre in half an hour. Also the new extension to the Metrolink Tram is just a couple of hundred metres down the road. Finally, for the shoppers, there is a bus from Chorlton to the Trafford Centre.

Finally, to the most important aspect of your visit to Abbey Lodge, your hosts. Heather and family are the most warm, welcoming and helpful people that you could wish to meet. Due to circumstances beyond our control we finished up being alone on Christmas Day. Once Heather realised this she pulled out all the stops to make things bearable for us. We will be forever thankful for all of the kindness received.

Room Tip: Book early to avoid disappointment!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
chorltongirl, Owner at Abbey Lodge, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
We were sorry that you had difficulties over Christmas but are pleased that you chose to stay with us and that we could help. It is our priority to make sure that all our guests are comfortable and have what they need in order to have a pleasant stay. Thank you for your review. I hope thing are going well for you in Spain. Heather
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Stayed one night on the spur of the moment. Nice warm, cosy atmosphere with a very welcoming hostess. Lovely and clean with absolutely everything you could need. I liked the idea of helping yourself to breakfast then taking back to bedroom where table and chairs were provided. I will certainly stay again even though the rooms at front are little noisy for us who don't live on a busy street. Take earplugs is the answer!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
chorltongirl, Owner at Abbey Lodge, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. i am sorry that you found the noise from the road disturbing. Our windows are all double glazed which helps to reduce noise and the road quietens at night. I hope you will return. Heather
Ogden,QC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

We stayed one night here before flying out of Manchester to go on holiday to Spain and then had booked for our last night after an exhausting week in the UK. I was so pleased to be coming back to stay this last night before heading to Canada. What an oasis!
Our room was spacious,with beautiful furnishings, comfortable ,with two large armchairs, a tray with drinks and a couple of kit Kats even! I loved the way breakfast was organized.
It was all laid out for a help yourself in the morning to be taken in our room, sitting at our own table.
Ground coffee, yogurt, fruit, toast etc.
If ever we are back we know where we shall be staying. Thank you Heather, you are the best.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
chorltongirl, Owner at Abbey Lodge, responded to this review, November 4, 2012
I hope you missed the hurricane on the way back home to Canada. I believe it moved north after you left here and was moving toward Toronto, I hope you were settled before it hit town. Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I hope you will return soon. Heather

Been to Abbey Lodge? Share your experiences!