“The Dolmen Hotel, Carlow...” 4 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Kilkenny Road, Carlow, Ireland   |
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Carlow
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Wicklow, Ireland
“The Dolmen Hotel, Carlow...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

We recently stayed in the Dolmen Hotel, (Oct 29, 2013) I was weary of booking it as it hadn't great reviews, people saying it was hard to find, not sign posted etc & in my experience if getting to the hotel is the start of an argument in the car it ruins it for me! But I got a really really good deal on pigsback.ie so I hoped for the best. I followed the directions the girl on reception gave me & seen plenty of signposts & found it no problem. The hotel itself needs a good revamp but it was warm & comfy and staff were lovely. I'd defo recommend it to a friend, if what u want is cheap & cheerful that's the place to be!! :)

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
DolmenManager, General Manager at Woodford Dolmen Hotel, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Hi OFran
Thank you for taking the time to comment here on how well posted the hotel is & how easy it is to find us. With the new M9 motorway open our location is very convenient to all travelling from North & South of the country as you simply take the number 6 exit off the motorway & we are just 5 minutes drive straight in the road.
I'm very glad to read your enjoyed your time with us on one of our great value Pigsback deals & I hope we can look forward to welcoming you to Dolmen Hotel again soon
Colin Duggan - General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
PORTLAND
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

We have just spent 3 nights at this hotel and had a wonderful time. The weather was awful but the staff and hotel were great. Friendly, nice rooms, good food, breakfast and evening meal and Soooooo friendly, Could not fault it.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
DolmenManager, General Manager at Woodford Dolmen Hotel, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
Hi Sue19
Thank you for your 5 star rating of your 3 night stay with us. I'm delighted to read your enjoyed your time with us, our food & our friendly service. Sorry about the weather, unfortunately we have no control over that....maybe next time if you return you'll get the see experience "Sunny South East" weather.

Thanks again for taking the time to post here & for your recommendation. We look forward to welcoming you back to Dolmen Hotel again.

N Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

We stayed here as a family member had his wedding here. When we arrived everyone was checking in at the same time. We were dealt with swiftly by a friendly receptionist. Keys were given out (very old fashioned that they don't have key cards) and directions to our rooms (very vague). I was not impressed with the room, the decor was dated, the room could have been cleaner, and the wallpaper was peeling off the wall, but as we weren't spending much time in the room and the hotel was at full capacity I did not complain.

I can't fault the food at the wedding reception - the staff were quick to serve all tables and to clear away afterwards. Food was delicious and piping hot.

Back to the room after the wedding and we had the most uncomfortable nights sleep ever! The bed was terrible - every time either of us moved the whole bed moved. You could hear music from the function room even with the window closed. You could also hear people walking past going to their respective rooms, chatting and laughing, which also kept me awake.

I decided at about 8 am that I'd had enough of trying to sleep so went to have a shower...the shower wasn't working! A tiny trickle of water was all we could get from it.

Breakfast was ok, no selection of fruit juices, only orange juice and the sausages and bacon were only luke warm.

We did report the issue with the shower and the noise to the receptionist when we were checking out. Would I stay here again? Probably not.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
DolmenManager, General Manager at Woodford Dolmen Hotel, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
Hi northern_munchkin
Just read your review here & I'm delighted to read you enjoy the wedding meal & the service from our staff. I am however disappointed to read the rest of your comment. We are currently undergoing a bedroom improvement programme to update & refresh our bedrooms so hopefully if you stay with us again you will notice a difference in these.
I can only apologise for the shower as this is not the norm & I will have our maintenance guy take a look at it in case there is any problems with it.
In relation to hearing other guests pass your room on the way to theirs, this is a common experience in almost all hotels but I'd imagine it was only for the short time between the wedding ending & all others attending going to bed as our night porters are well trained on dealing with guests who may be causing a disruption in the corridors.
Thank you for taking the time to feedback on your visit with us as we appreciate hearing our guests experience.
Tralee, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

My husband and I booked an overnight stay at the Dolmen Hotel as we had a number of business meetings. We booked room only as we knew we'd be too late for the hotel restaurant and we wanted to enjoy a lie-on the following morning, so we did not book breakfast either.

On arrival we were greeted by a friendly receptionist who quickly checked us in to our room which was on the first floor. As requested, we had been given a quiet room to the rear - our room faced out to the Courtyard.

We found the room cosy and comfortable and spotlessly clean. We had a blissful night's sleep and awakened refreshed the following morning.

As we did not dine at the hotel, I cannot offer a recommendation on that front, but I would certainly recommend it as a hotel to stay in for a good night's sleep. One thing, I thought a bit off-putting though is that the doors are opened by a key and are not self-locking so you have to keep remembering to lock them as you leave - its a bit outdated in this day and age I think.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the courtyard or the gardens and river.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
DolmenManager, General Manager at Woodford Dolmen Hotel, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Hi Alcudiafan
Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment here on your stay with us in Dolmen Hotel last week. I'm delighted you enjoyed your room & nights sleep & I hope we can look forward to welcoming you back again next time you have business down this way.
Thanks again for your recommendation as word or mouth means so much in this business.
Zurich, Switzerland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

The ground floor at the reception looks really nice with a lot of old furniture. We had been welcomed by a very friendly blonde receptionist. The rest of the staff we met was average.y
The first room we got wasn't really in the best shape. The walls looked not really clean and the wallpaper had some scratched. In the bathroom there had been a lot of mould around the bath tub and so we asked for a different room which was organized in a very professional and friendly manner by the blonde receptionist. This room was much cleaner, but unfortunately also much closer to the reception. Especially on a Thursday night this will keep you awake till 1am when they have the adult dancing.
The room service was not very good. First they didn't change our used towels which we had left on the floor for change. Later on there was a large chunk of dust under the heating device. This was there for our entire stay and wasn't recognized by the cleaning staff.
The breakfast is good. They serve you Irish breakfast, orange juice and cereals. Unfortunately they only asked us on 3 mornings what we would like to have to drink (we spent 6 nights there).
Dolmen Hotel is located about 2km outside of Carlow. If you want to go to Carlow you have to call a Taxi (10 Euro one way).

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Dominik-Sandy
I've just read your review here of your stay with us in September & I wanted to reply & say how disappointed I am to read your comments about our room servicing.
As part of our green policy here at Dolmen Hotel we only collect towels that guests leave out for changing but I genuinely cannot understand why your towels were not collected as unless requested otherwise fresh towels are dropped to each occupied room every day of a stay, even for rooms with a "Do not disturb" sign we will leave fresh towels outside the room door.. I will speak with our accommodation manager to see if there was any specific reason for this case. I will also address the issue of the dust under the heating device as if this was missed during the daily hoovering of the rooms this is not acceptable.
I'm glad you liked the look & feel of the hotel overall & were happy with our breakfast service & I hope that if your staying in Carlow again that we get the chance to welcome you back to Dolmen Hotel.
Wexford, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

I booked in very late one day during the ploughing championships and was delighted to see they were not ripping people off as other hotels in the area were.
On booking I asked about room wifi I was told my room did not have wifi, the receptionist very quickly changed me to room that had which meant I could catch up on work.
Restaurant food was excellent and excellent service.
Clean room powerful shower good breakfast
I'll be staying again

• Stayed September 2013
DolmenManager, General Manager at Woodford Dolmen Hotel, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
Hi Sean F
Thank you for taking the time to feedback here on your stay with us during the Ploughing Championships. We are well known for our great value offers available all year round so it's lovely to see your comment about our rates.
As next years ploughing championships have been set for the same location just 30 minutes drive from ourselves, we look forward to welcoming you back to us again.
Thanks again for your comments & recommendation.
Regards
Colin Duggan - General Manager.
Christchurch, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

The Dolmen Hotel in County Carlow in Ireland is a lovely spot to visit. The staff are friendly and helpful, the rooms are excellant and the restaurant is good value. The grounds of the hotel make for a pleasant early morning walk. All in all a very nice stay.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back of the hotel have a beautiful view over the river.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi brianandtts
Thank you for your 5 star rating of your recent stay with us. I'm delighted your enjoyed your time with us & found our staff to be friendly, our food excellent & our rates good value.
I hope if your back to visit Ireland & Carlow again that we can look forward to welcoming you back to stay at Dolmen Hotel.
Colin Duggan - General Manager

Been to Woodford Dolmen Hotel? Share your experiences!