“Bar Closed on Good Friday!” 3 of 5 stars

Seven Oaks Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Athy Road, Carlow, Ireland   |
Ranked #1 of 5 hotels in Carlow
Dublin
“Bar Closed on Good Friday!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2010

This is an old hotel but spotless and the food is wholesome and plentiful.Its a 2 min walk to the town which is great.The only gripe I would have is we went for an easter break and arrived on Good Friday to find the bar was closed!!As this is not law in Ireland I couldnt understand it.Apart from that great place

Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple

305 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Roscommon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2010

This is a wonderful hotel. We had a lovely 2 night weekend break from the minute we arrived until the minute we left. Bedroom was lovely bright & spacious with lovely ensuite. Bar & restuarant was fabulous & the swimming pool was top class. Will definately be returning to this hotel.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
CORK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2010

Excellent - I have stayed in this hotel for a 4 week period in Jan/Feb - working in Merck nearby. It is without doubt a fantastic hotel. The service/food/gym/pool are all fantastic. The rooms may be a bit dated but it adds to the ambiance. It cannot compare to a nearby 4 star hotel, where I stayed for the first two weeks of January. The interior design is full of dark wood, flamed fires, multiple comfy sofas and there's a fabulous use of colour in the reception, bar and dining area. My home is a total contrast but when away from home, this design feels cozy and comforting. It's the dark wood lockers in the swimming pool changing rooms that would entice you to strip down when it's minus zero outside!. The sauna and steam room are the hottest I've ever been in!. The fruit salad in the morning is delicious! I'm delighted these typical Irish type hotels still exist and tourists must just lap them up... I won't be wasting my money on 5* hotels anymore, I'm on a mission now to discover more of this type of hotel in the South, thanks to the staff of the Seven Oaks, Liz

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
west mids
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2010

Arrived for a 4 night stay on business and has to be one of the worst hotels I have had the misfortune of staying in for a long time. I can say this with some authority as I travel a fair amount.
The rooms are spacious but the decor is extremely tired. All your usual mahogany furniture and 80's wallpaper albeit dog eared. The walls and ceiling are paper thin (I thought premier lodges were bad!)so you can hear everything above and next door and believe me it's annoying when you are trying to rest but is nothing compared to traffic noise as the hotel is right on the main road ( lorries cause the room to vibrate).
No water in the sink in the bathroom (I had to brush my teeth using shower water)
There are a couple of positives though , the wifi is free and fast although you can't get it in the bar and the use of the spa is included in the reasonable room rate and maybe having suffered last night I think I might make use of it.
The food was nothing really special although we were served rapidly
It doesn’t happen very often but think that I will be looking for another hotel nearby for the rest of my stay in Carlow

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
Armagh
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2010

I stay at the Seven Oaks in July 2009 with my husband for our first wedding anniversary. On arrival we got the pleasant surprise to be upgraded to a suite free of charge, swhich was lovely. We had had an offer with our local supermarket (you need to spend a minimum for 6 weeks and they give you 3 free nights in a hotel of your choice if you commit to stay 4 days mid-week and eat at the restaurant half board for breakfast and dinner). The food was excellent and the half board menu changed every 2 days. Breakfast was also plentiful. The bar was nice and quiet, although on the 2nd night a group of people improvised a ceol and played traditional music, it entertained us for the evening and it was very nice. We had free access to the health suite and it was lovely especially as we didn't have to go outside, there was a corridor linking the hotel to the spa (swimming pool, jacuzzi, sauna, hammam and gym room). Carlow is very quiet mid-week and there isn't much to see or do. We visited a few attractions nearby (a dolmen and also lovely quaint gardens which I forgot the name of) between 2 showers as the weather wasn't on our side... All in all it was very relaxing and we enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
carlow
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2010

Our reception was perfect- from the absolutely gorgeous meal to the beautiful presentation of the function room. Many of our guests commented on how beautiful the hotel was and how professional the staff were. As it was a Christmas wedding we had some unusual requests but nothing was ever a problem. The management were so helpful all the way through the booking process and after every meeting/phone call, we came away feeling at ease. We would especially like to thank Michael, Liz and Michael for all their help leading up to the wedding and on the day itself (thanks for making us feel so relaxed). We could not have been happier with the service. We are so glad we chose the Seven Oaks Hotel for our wedding reception. We recommend this hotel to everyone.

• Stayed December 2009
Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2009

Myself and my husband and 2 kids checked in here and were hoping for a nice break as we havent got away at all this year. What a dissappointment. The hotel is old and shabby and our bedroom was like something from the 50's. The kids were told twice in the bar to 'shush' - they are twin 2 year olds!
I found the service slow and the staff really made us feel like an inconvenience.
The food was ok - nothing special

Im sure this hotel is fine for the older generation but certainly not a family destination. I will be looking elsewhere next time.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family

Been to Seven Oaks Hotel? Share your experiences!