“Wonderful staff let down by details” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #13 of 57 Restaurants in Carlow
Cuisines: Irish, Tapas, International
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Description: The concept for Gastro is an affordable and professional dining experience using fresh ingredients delivered daily on all our menus while creating a relaxed atmosphere in which our customers can enjoy their meal whatever the occasion may be.The menu whether it’s our lunch or dinner menu, our wine menu or cocktail menu or it’s that special menu that you have chosen for your party or event, they will always be treated by the team here with the highest standards to ensure that our aim of quality, consistency and affordability are met.Gastro serves food from Monday to Sunday from 12 – 9pm and up to 10pm on Friday and Saturday. With its open plan design and location the restaurant can cater for any party or occasion whether its 2 people or 200 guests Gastro is a great restaurant or venue whatever needs you might require. Our dining experience boasts maximum taste with minimum fuss. Gluten Free Dining Options available.
Galway, Ireland
“Wonderful staff let down by details”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

In Carlow for the Pan Celtic festival we dropped in here for lunch. Atmosphere and décor is welcoming as were the staff who helped to settle us and the children in and really could not have done more. Children’s portions (from an impressive children's menu) were generous and very reasonably priced. My BLT looked good initially but was accompanied by an unwashed and withered side salad, a long black hair sticking out of the wrap, four chips on the plate (why bother putting just 4?) and a chipped water glass. I appreciate that they were having a busy Saturday lunch time during the festival and, as I’ve said the staff were lovely and the prices very reasonable, but we were a little disappointed. Will give this place another shot as I have heard nothing but positive feedback from others.

• Visited April 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
restaurant98, Owner at O'Gradys Gastro Bar and Grill, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Dear Drdyran
Thank you for your review. The day in question was our busiest so far with the majority of diners sitting down at once ! In respone to the issues raised in your review , the black hair in the wrap , all our chefs wear hats (and are shaven headed ! ) however we do use wild mushrooms in a few of our dishes and fine strands can often be mistaken for a hair. We do not serve fries with the BLT and the chipped glass was unacceptable. I apologise on behalf of The Gastro Team and assure you that this is certainly not the norm and we hope to see you back at Gastro in the near future.
Best Regards

Carlow, Ireland
“Best gastro pub in Ireland!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

Booked for a romantic meal on the long weekend and had a fab time! The staff were very friendly and accommodating, and the food was lovely and the presentation superb! The service was excellent without being too fussy and the whole place has a lovely relaxed vibe with great lighting and music! I had the fillet steak which just melted in my mouth and my wife had the chicken which was fantastic by all accounts! the house red wine is a must and incredible value for a house wine! We will be back for sure!!

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
restaurant98, Owner at O'Gradys Gastro Bar and Grill, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
Dear416KevinB416
Thank you very much for your fab review and positive feedback. The Gastro Team work very hard to look after all our guests needs and we greatly appreciate your generous praise. We look forward to seeing you back in Gastro in the near future and we hope you have a great summer !
Sincerely
Gastro Bar & Grill
Carlow
“Gastro, Thank you for this Sunday.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

For the first time today I was with my family in Gastro. We were surprised by the warm welcome. For children we have received fantastic kids menu from which the children were very happy. The waitress informed us about special Sunday menu at Gastro, it means "all roast 8.88"! I had the roast beef with creamy mash potato & vegetables, and my wife ordered Cod with salad & homemade chips. Everything was delicious! At the end we took the cheesecake with ice cream, and we didn't need anything more ;) Fantastic atmosphere, lots of space and staff who took care of us from beginning to the end.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
restaurant98, Owner at O'Gradys Gastro Bar and Grill, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Hi Sofia L
Thank you for your review of lunch at Gastro , I will pass on your kind words to the team.
I look forward to seeing you again soon
Carlow, Carlow, Ireland
“excellent”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

my wife and me enjoyed every moment in the gastro bar , Manageress , staff are
friendly and helpful.Compliments to the chef , the food was lovely and excellent presented.
John the owner makes the time to welcome the customers. A relaxed atmosphere , we are coming back , I am looking forward to your "international food day "

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Hi Ronald
Thank you for your review and your comments. We are delighted you enjoyed your evening with us and we look forward to your next visit.
Kilkenny, Ireland
“Contender for best Gastro Pub in Ireland”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

I had heard about Gastro from friends and decided to try check it out myself. I was pleasantly surprised to find a quirky , classy venue with friendly efficient staff . The place was buzzing and the staff were busy but the impression one got was a controlled friendly easy going experience , very different from the usual Irish service. It was warm , spotless but not clinical in anyway , plants and Easter decorations were discreet but noticeable , although I didn't meet him , it was nice to see the owner out front chatting to all the customers and watching service , nice to see that personal touch. The menu said all suppliers were local which is nice to see, I had O'Haras Cod , it was beautifully fresh and the batter was light and flavorsome , I followed with coffee which was Bewleys and excellent and a complimentary chocolate ! Altogether a wonderful experience only 20 mins from Kilkenny , I can't wait to return , I was very impressed , well done Gastro !

Hi Joanne B
WOW !! Thank you so much , it means a great deal to us all here at Gastro to read positive honest reviews like that , thank you again , hopefully I will get to meet you on your next vist.