From the moment we entered the gates of Wallawwa it became clear to us that it was a very special place. A very warm welcome, peaceful, tranquil, and with excellent standards of service. Our garden room was lovely, the pool refreshing and some outstanding touches when a glass of water and and a sorbet taster were deliverd to the pool,
Food was amazing all round and we tried everything we could in our five day stay( loved the Sri Lanka Curry & rice, Malay currry, Carrot & Ginger soup, house wine was good, cinnamon & caramel ice cream amazing, Breakfast outstanding, egg hopper amazing, fruit platter - so fresh and beautifully presented, juices freshly pressed and delicious. Local coffee and tea a pleasure to drink. High tea just gorgeous, sandwiches, cakes, scones, home made jams etc.
The hotel itself is of a highest luxury standard and, the rooms and different, modern but with colonial touches, the garden room was very spacious and comfortable. Exceptionally clean an cared for
Library Fantastic, would have just loved to be able to stay on to read through it,
Now to the staffing team. The very best we have experienced and we have travelled a lot on business and holiday, Roshen and Rachira were quite outstanding, kind, anticipatory, efficient, just the very very best. Chefs so friendly and helpful and of course the kind Lady who did our little bit of laundry so charmingly. My husband is an ex Royal Navy man and we have travelled and he has lived all over the world but this little place truly touched our hearts,
Frogs - just walk round the pool in the courtyard in the evening and the frogs are so entertaining - obviously woo-ing their ladies - not too successfully in some instances!
Fireflies - the nature highlight of our visit to see them outside the dining room and the garden are at the bak of our room - a first for us and amazing!
Now travel - Budigga one of the hotel gardeners doubles as a Tuk Tuk driver and he is wonderful for a jouney around Negombo and the fish market which is astounding - so may fresh an beautifully displayed fish - we as a fishing nation should be ashamed, A quiet and efficient young man and so trustworhy we just asked him to take us to places he would be happy to go,
We also hired Neel, the hotel driver on our last day and had an amazing trip in and around Negombo, also to ancient hill caves, a temple and the fish dock with all the fisherman - there is no land between Antartican and Sri Lanka - the fish are the very best, he also at our request took us to and accommpanied around a good local store to buy spices etc to enable us to have the (sort of) taste of Sri Lanka at home over our very cold and dark winter.
We will be back as soon as possible
Charlie and Joan Charlton
- Also Known As:
- The Wallawwa Hotel
- The Wallawwa Hotel Kotugoda
- Wallawwa Hotel Colombo
- Wallawwa Boutique Hotel Colombo
- The Wallawwa Sri Lanka/Kotugoda
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Wallawwa was once the country estate of the head chieftan of Galle. It is now home to The Wallawwa, Sri Lanka's first and only boutique airport hotel. Perfectly situated and designed to welcome weary travelers in style and seclusion. Just 15 minutes from Colombo airport and within touching distance of Colombo, there is now no reason to take on long car journeys after arriving at the airport. Join us, sit back and relax at the Z spa or at the Verandah restaurant and start or finish your holiday in heavenly luxury. A 17 room private boutique hotel, restaurant, spa and gardens. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Booking.com, Splendia, Expedia and Otel so you can book your The Wallawwa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.