“Friendly service, good food, very accomodating” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 4 Restaurants in Tansley
Cuisines: English
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
“Friendly service, good food, very accomodating”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

We turned up quite late one evening with a young puppy in tow. There was no shortage of good food on the menu. The staff were also very accommodating in putting us upstairs so we were out of the way with the dog as the usual room in which you can take dogs was being used by a group. It made for a very relaxed and totally pleasant evening after my family had had a long drive up from the south. We were staying nearby at Darwin Lakes and would definitely visit this pub again.

• 4 of 5 stars Food

“A good job we were using a half price voucher!!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013 via mobile

A shame to have had such a poor experience at the Royal Oak as my initial impressions were good. Pub offers a good choice of Beer & Wine, a sizeable menu, is dog friendly and has the ample parking it boasts on its website.

However, poor service and oversized portions of oily food has let us down today.

Service:
- one waitress seemed to be serving the main dining room and bar, she seemed over stretched.
- Waitress didn't know what the soup of the day was. (Never a good sign)
- Waitress couldn't advise on wine selection.
- One of our groups main meal was forgotten and had to come out separately. (Could be the kitchens fault)
- The above meant some sides went cold whilst waiting. (No offer to exchange them)

- overriding smell of Cooking oil on the plate. (I had steak, the mushrooms were so oily!)
- I'm pretty sure I was served Rump in place of Serloin! (My partner ordered Pan Fried Serloin which looked and tasted nothing like mine?)
- the portions are HUGE!! I'm quite a big eater as are my family but we couldn't finish our meals, in this case this was not a good thing!

I hope the experience I've had is a one off but in my opinion this pub dose not deserve the 4-5 stars its currently got on tripadvisor.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Warwick, United Kingdom
“Excellent find!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013 via mobile

We were staying at Darwin Forest and found the Royal Oak via TA. We went twice as we enjoyed the first visit so much. There is a comfortable, friendly atmosphere and the service was quick and efficient. The food was tasty and plentiful. A particular highlight was the mixed grill my partner had which he gave 10 out of 10, mainly for the quality of the meat. The fish pie was also 10 out of 10 for me. Highly recommended!

north wales
“mothers day”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

we visited her for mothers day as we were staying at darwin forest.
we had a two course carvery lunch for 12.95 - a mothers day special but i think the carvery is every sunday.
excellent food - plenty of meat and the hosts were very friendly
excellent place - would visit every weekend if we lived closer !

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Derby, United Kingdom
“More Than Just a Pub”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

From the outside we didn't know what to expect but inside.............WOW! What a lovely place. Modern, cosy and comfortable. The menu was extensive with the option of a 2 for £10 meal but the prices of the standard menu was reasonable enough. Food was quickly served and hot and lived up to expectation. Hubby had a soup starter and the bowl was big enough to swim in!! I had a fan of melon which was light and tasty. Main course was large too I chose Chicken in pepper sauce which came with a huge amount of new potatoes and nicely cooked veg. Hubby stuck to fish and chips but was not disappointed. The fish was large with batter and chips crispy. We were offered desert but felt as thought that this would be a step too far. After much deliberation we both decided on sherry trifle which was light and tasty. All in all this was a lovely place with the staff being polite and attentive without being over bearing. We will look forward to returning.

• Visited February 2013