“Nice place with a few flaws” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Cambrian

You added The Cambrian to your Saves list
The Cambrian
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Dorfstrasse 7 | 3715 Adelboden, Adelboden 3715, Switzerland (Formerly Solis Cambrian Adelboden Hotel and Spa)   |
Offers & Announcements
Passion&Dine
Ranked #3 of 15 Hotels in Adelboden
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Geneva, Switzerland
“Nice place with a few flaws”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

We are a young couple and stayed at the Cambrian for 3 nights in mid-August. Over all it was a pleasant stay, with beautiful views and the surrounding country side is simply amazing.

Pros:
Very friendly staff at the reception, bar and restaurant
Nice spa area with beautiful views of the mountains
Nice, good quality food
Very nice, well equipt breakfast buffet

Cons:
No mini bar - they have been removed, as they consume too much energy, but for a hotel of this standard it just feels like inappropriate service

Restaurant: On the warmest weekend of the year, we were told we would not be able to eat out on the terrace, as there were not enough tables for everyone and it would be unfair, so no one was allowed to eat outside. We found this very inappropriate! Firstly, these requests are generally handled on first come, first serve basis and secondly, there was space for at least double the amount of tables outside, they were just too understaffed (I assume) to set it up.

Room: sparcely furnished and some cosyness missing, but I assume this comes down to personal taste.

Parking: I understand that the parking situation in mountain villages in often problematic, but when spending 300 Euros a night for a room, I expect parking to be included.

Service on the terrace in the afternoon: On a Monday afternoon, with a full upstairs terrace, there was no staff avaialbe for the terrace. The poor girl at the reception had to manage both at the same time, so we ended up waiting 25 min for a coffee.

Overall it was a nice stay with lots of fun outdoor activities in the area. I would seriously suggest to the top management of this hotel to reconsider their cost cutting measure, because otherwise guests will not return.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

My wife and I drove to the Switzerland for a six day trip this August. We stayed at the Cambrian for three nights and i have to say I enjoyed every minute of our stay.

Think boutique hotel in London or any other major metropolitan city and you'd have the right idea. It's not overly stylised but tastefully decorated. The hotel is not too large to be soulless but big enough so that you're not in everyone's way.

We booked a South facing room which was very nicely laid out with a comfy bed and the most amazing view. I do think the TV could have been bigger however that was my only small gripe.

We ate in the restaurant a couple of times and thought the food was excellent. It had a Modern European feel. I even tried a Swiss Pinot Noir wine which was surprisingly good and a first for both of us.

The hotel pool is not very large, however you do have a choice of swimming from the inside pool to the outside pool. if you want 25m pool I suggest you book a large soulless multi national hotel complex.

All in all I thought the Cambrian was great value for money. The staff were friendly and attentive and when I get the chance I will be booking another visit.

Room Tip: Pick a South facing room. You wont regret it!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Chicago, IL
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

Had booked 3 rooms. Arrived a bit early and they accomodated us with one room so my 2 young children could nap after a long flight from Chicago. Other 2 rooms were made available at normal check-in time.

The first of these rooms stank so badly from a chemical cleaner used to mask something even worse that our bellman could not even stand to be in the room. The last room had dog hair embedded everywhere and the room stank like a dog and my allergies kicked in immediately.

At first, the lady from the front desk said that if we just opened the windows to the stinky room, everything would be OK, but eventually, she agreed that she would not charge us for that room because we refused to stay in it.

However, the 'dog' room was also un-usable: even if i did not have allergies, who wants to have dog hair everywhere?

When I told them that I wanted to leave immediately and that I would pay for the 1 room for 1 night that my children napped in for a few hours, they told me that i would have to pay for 2 rooms for 4 nights because of their cancellation policy. I replied that I showed up with every intention of staying there and that I did not have anywhere else to go, having just arrived in a foreign country, but that I knew I would not be staying there - and that because they could not offer me clean rooms that I should not pay for anything.

So, they charged me the full amount and I am now disputing the charge with my credit card company - so the gift keeps on giving.

DO NOT STAY IN THIS HOTEL.

Not to mention it's a bit cheesy and whoever shot the photos for their website should get an award because in reality, the pool is TINY. Also, it appears to be a "middle aged couples get away" - the TINY pool was filled (for the 2 hours that i waited for our rooms) with balding, chubby, hairy 50 year old men and their equally featured women. Disgusting.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

We have just returned from The Cambrian for the third time yet this is the first time we have visited in the summer. It is the most gorgeous place to relax and unwind in a comfortable and stylish atmosphere unlike most alpine hotels. I loved the quirky design feautures!! The staff were lovely and welcoming and the spar is delightful ... the view of the mountains from the outdoor pool is mesmerising. As a ski resort it is perfect for beginnings to experts and easy to navigate for first timers. We will definitely be returning for our forth trip!!!!

Room Tip: Pick a south facing room, views are incredible!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Basel, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

A good standard hotel for it's price. The scenery from the infinty pool is amazing. The very friendly and helpful staff made it a great stay.
Trip advisor forces me to write useless blabla to fill 200 signs...

• Stayed August 2012
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

I've just returned with the family from the Cambrian Adelboden. The hotel is stylish but unpretentious with one of the best views from a pool I've ever seen. Staff are friendly , decor really great and food lovely in the restaurant . Great activities offered and free use of mountain bikes to explore the great alpine countryside

Will definitely return ...

• Stayed August 2012
Huntingdon, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

We stayed here in August 2012 with two children for a few nights. It really is a wonderful setting with spectacular views and easy access to the mountains. The hotel is a very high standard and the staff are friendly and helpful. We can highly recommend using the trottie bikes...great fun!

My only criticism, and it is a small one, is that as a vegetarian, the menu was very limited if not non-existent. However, that is quite normal for the area!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to The Cambrian? Share your experiences!