“Disappointing” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #22 of 28 Hotels in Leukerbad
Melbourne, Australia
“Disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

I stayed for eight nights at this hotel for a spa and mountain walking holiday. Overall, I was very disappointed:

The room: I had a single room on the second floor which was small with very basic furnishings. The bed was very small (a child's bed?) and extremely uncomfortable, you could feel the bed springs against your body - the mattress badly needed replacing! On top of this, every night you could hear a loud humming noise through the walls which kept you awake. (The source was kitchen equipment in the basement and the sound travelling through the wall cavity). I slept very poorly at this hotel. Also, smoking and non-smoking rooms were on the same floor. If you had your balcony door open you received the cigarette smoke from your neighbours which was very unpleasant. On a positive note, the room cleaning was very good and the bathroom spotless.

Buffet breakfast: a very small and basic assortment and nowhere near a four star standard. (Why do hotels do this? It looks so mean)! The hotel staff were friendly and polite, however, for part of my stay I was very surprised to be served by a very rude and dismissive woman who, when I attempted my German, just shrugged, walked off and ignored me. I encountered this woman several times at breakfast and once at dinner. I found this quite surprising and not up to the welcoming standard experienced throughout many years of travelling throughout Switzerland.

One security concern was the arrangement of leaving room keys when going out for the day. You did not hand your key in at Reception. Instead keys were to be left in an open compartment with your corresponding room number. This was immediately inside the main entrance and in the reception area but as the reception desk was often unattended during the day while you were out, anyone could walk in from the street, take your key and walk up to and enter your room. I was assured this was unlikely to occur in Leukerbad, but I was still not convinced. Leukerbad is not crime-free and while I was there, the main doors of the tourist office were smashed and prised apart in an attempted break-in.

During my time in Leukerbad, I looked around at a number of other hotels and talked to people staying in other hotels. I work in the hospitality industry, so I like to see what is available and hear the opinions of others, My conclusion was that there were other hotels in Leukerbad with a better all-round standard and where I will certainly stay on my next visit and also recommend others stay.

In summary, my room at this hotel was very spartan, terrible bed, the room refrigerator had been removed and not replaced, not well sound proofed and definitely not 4 star (probably 3 star at best). As mentioned by other reviewers, the bathroom, although very clean, was very much out of date and needed an upgrade. Buffet breakfast was very spartan. Other parts of the hotel are quite reasonable. The location was the best thing about this hotel. It was central and close to the Alpentherme Spa and also not far from the Burgerbad. I rarely say this, but if you are contemplating a visit to Leukerbad, I would recommend you stay elsewhere. (I do not want to mention the other hotels I looked at in a variety of star ratings and which I considered far superior to this hotel - in all respects - but if you contact with a message I am happy to provide you with this information).

Room Tip: Rooms at the rear of the main hotel building look out across the valley and up at the amazing mounta...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Bellinzona, Schweiz
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2012

We staid 2 nights at the Grichting hotel. The double room was enough big for 2 adults, cleaned and comfortable. The breakfast was delicious and the dinner as well. Very friendly staff especially the chef of the hotel and the barmaid.
The hotel is in the middle of the village, so it's close to everything and only 2 minuts by walk from the Alpen therme. Next time we will definitely return to the Grichting hotel.
Thank you very much for everything.
Martina & Rocco

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2011

We enjoyed our stay in the hotel. We ordered a junior suit, but on arrival were upgraded to an apartment. It was quite cozy, furniture a little outdated as well as the kitchen, but bathroom fully renovated. We were actually concerned about the bathroom as in some reviews it was written it was old. However, in our apartment it was brand new! See some of the pictures of accommodation we took during our stay.
Location was also perfect - next to lindner spa with breath-taking views from the balcony. Also, the service was very friendly. We ordered dinner to the room - they brought it within 15 min. even though it was already quite late. Food was delicious. The lady on reception (which as we later understand is one of the owners) was always very friendly and helpful. We especially appreciated it as in Swiss hotels sometimes the friendliness of the stuff could be better! :)
Food choice for breakfast was very good. The views from the breakfast room were also fabulous.
The only disadvantage was that the mattresses were too hard for us - so unfortunately did not sleep well :(. Spa we did not try, as had too little time, so cannot comment.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Zurich, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2011

We stayed spontaneously in this hotel and didn't regret it. People were friendly and the food in the restaurant was excellent.
The bathroom can use an upgrade.

Room Tip: Try to get a room above the first floor
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, GA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2010

I stayed here for 4 nights to celebrate a family birthday. There were 14 of us, scattered about in different rooms of the hotel. The hotel claims to be 4 star, but we all agreed it is more along the lines of a 3 star at best. It falls way short of being up to 4 star standards. It is not a horrible hotel, it's just not worth the price you pay.

The first 2 nights I stayed in a single room in the main hotel. My room was on the front (street side) on the first floor, so my window looked across the street to the other "half" of the hotel. The hotel has 2 bldgs on either side of the street, connected by a hall (tunnel) that goes below the street. Even though we were a large group traveling together and arrangements had been made way in advance, they had us scattered all over the hotel in both buildings. This made it rather inconvenient for us to stay connected at times, but it wasn't that much of a disaster.

My room was tiny, but comfortable enough for sleeping. The bathroom was small and extremely outdated in the decor. Awful green tile theme. The shower had many missing parts to the hardware and there was zero pressure for the hot water. In fact, there really was no hot water to speak of. I had to take lukewarm showers with water barely trickling out. Another couple in our group had the same issue in their room which was one floor down from mine. I took a look in 2 other couple's rooms and they too were very very small. One couple had a number of issues with their room that I don't think ever got resolved; small issues, but issues nonethless that should have been addressed in a 4 star hotel......no light in the bathroom.

After 2 nights, I moved to a 2 bedroom "apt" across the street in the other bldg since the remaining 3 persons in our party arrived. While it was spacious and located on the top floor of the bldg with nice views from our balcony, it was still far from 4 star. The rooms are straight out of the 70s and feels more like a mtn cabin rental in some remote backwards town in Colorado. The bathroom was the same wretched green theme decor. The bath/shower was situated under the slanting roof so that it's not possible to stand up for a shower if you are over 5'. At least we did have hot water and water pressure. I only used the shower there once and relied on the public showers at the Thermal Springs for a "real" shower.

The 2 bedrooms were spacious, but very dark. My room had a horrible moldy smell that could be smelled the most when lying in bed. If I hadn't been so tired at the end of each day, it would have normally kept me from falling asleep. The other bedroom had a waterbed. I found this strange and glad I didn't have to sleep in it.

The bedrooms were up a spiral staircase in the apt. Downstairs was a large area for sitting/lounging and a tiny kitchenette tucked in a corner. Again, it was all very outdated and in great need of being redecorated/updated.

I also noticed that they didn't keep the public areas very clean for a 4 star hotel. Trash in the hallways would remain there for over 24 hrs. The public bathroom would be in need of hand towels and go untended until the next day. These aren't travesties, but if you claim to be a 4 star hotel then the public areas should be immaculate and bathrooms always stocked.

The only redeeming features were that the hotel is in one of the most stunningly beautiful towns of Switzerland, and the price included breakfast and dinner. The food was delicious. The breakfast buffet was very very extensive and not your typical Swiss b'fast buffet. The staff was very accommodating for our group's dietary needs, as some in the group had allergies, etc. The b'fast buffet had a juicer to make fresh carrot/apple/pear juice. A grinder could be used for fresh seeds and grains; flax, spelt, wheat, etc. A wide assortment of yogurts, breads, fruit, cheeses, meats was offered along with hard boiled eggs, jams, butter, etc. It more than sufficed to fill us up for our long activity filled days.

Dinner was a set 4-5 course meal and was always delicious. The salad buffet alone was enough for me to make a meal from. The waiter was very competent and pleasant. The good food helped ease the pain of the high price I paid for this hotel.

Their "spa" facilities are okay, but definitely not the reason to go there since the town offers plenty of superb thermal baths with everything you could possibly need. Use of the "spa" is included in the price, but like I said, it's nothing to write home about. The indoor pool is pretty, but not warm at all and therefore you don't really want to hang out in it. The sauna makes up for what the pool lacks. There is a dry sauna, steam sauna and an aromatherapy sauna. The aromatherapy sauna misses the mark big time and is a waste of space, but the other two are better. The dry sauna is acceptable, but not really hot enough and no where to lie down, you can only sit. The steam sauna is nicer and the one I picked. The relaxation room looks interesting, but not practical. The floor is all sand and isn't really appealing.

While it boasts having wifi, it only works in specific spots of the hotel. We could only use our iphones in the dining room. There is a computer for hotel guests use in the hall downstairs, but the internet connection never worked. I inquired at the front desk and asked for help and was told that someone would come tomorrow and fix it. It was never addressed and never worked the entire stay.

While we had a great time for our celebration, the hotel missed the mark in my book. Since I was not the one in charge of picking out the hotel, I had no choice but to stay here if I wanted to be a part of the group. Therefore, I read the reveiws on Trip Advisor beforehand. Judging from the comments, I was not surprised and already braced for a lackluster hotel. The staff is nice enough, but they really should update the hotel to justify the price. My next visit to Leukerbad I will definitely pick another hotel.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
Northern Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2008

This is a lovely hotel - the rooms are a bit small - but comfortable. We had a balcony with chairs, sun lounger and umbrella and an unbelievable view of Leukerbad! There is also a hairdryer, tv and minibar in the room. You are also provided with a robe to use going to and from the pool - which is warm!

The selection of breakfast is also very good - bread, pastries, fruit, ham, cheese and cereals. The restaurant is also recommended - but it can take a while for the meal to arrive - but it is worth it.

Leukerbad is a small town but it is quite tricky to get around and not many people speak english - so make sure you know basic French or German. Also all menus are in French and German, but the hotel did have one in English for our last night. So long as you know the basics you should be okay.

Leukerbad is about a 90 minute drive away from Zermatt and about two hrs from Verbier by car. (Zermatt is highly recommended as this is where we bought most of gifts from).

If you do have a car you will need to park in a covered car park 200 metres down the hill from the hotel and there is a charge for this. You can park outside for a few minutes to unload.

The scenery in around Leukerbad is amazing and is a good base if touring by car. It is also perfect for relaxation - the hotel has a pool and wellness centre.

Lovely hotel in a rural peaceful location. Friendly staff and management. Recommeded for all ages.

• Liked — Cleaniness, views!
  • Disliked — A bit hard to find
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Leiden, ze Nedderlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2007

On our recent trip to Umbria, we needed a family room in Wallis and found one in Leukerbad, thru Expedia (€148 a night) . After a long car ride from Holland, we arrived at the Badnerhof around six, with two kids needing to spend some excess energy and looking forward to a dip in the pool. So we were not amused, to say the least, to learn they had no reservation under our name; they had no idea why they had no trace of the confirmed reservations we'd made thru Expedia. The reception was very apologetic and madame Grichting herself set about finding us another place to stay as they had no other, suitable rooms available. She directed us to the (empty) bar, gave us complimentary beverages and then found us another room in Leukerbad, at the nearby Zayetta (another Grichting hotel!). Before checking-in there, we made sure they had our reservation for our return trip. "Ah ja, we do have zat one....."

When we retuned two weeks later, on our way back home, we had an enjoyable stay though. Again, something went awry as somehow our confirmed request for extra beds for our children had not resulted in the actual placement of these in the room. They set that right though, before bedtime even, although the fold-ups themselves had indeed seen better times!!

The room itself was clean and quite large, with a small kitchen stashed away in a cupboard and a sizable balcony with a great view of the surrounding mountains. The whole room - esp. the bathroom - was very seventies with dark greens, browns and woody floral motives. I imagine this must be quite to the liking of the clientele at the Badnerhof which consisted almost entirely of very, very old people. As old people go to bed early, the fact that the hotel seemingly has quite thin walls and floors did not lead to problems as noise goes. My wife was not very partial to the very small elevator though; it had no light so the slow ride up was made in pitch dark. Something we only found out after the four of us, the receptionist and our luggage were crammed in and the doors closed. There was no explanation from our receptionist, so I'm guessing it was standard.

On the plus-side, the breakfast buffet was excellent. Furthermore, the hotel has its own inside (Thermen)pool (15x40 feet) as well as a sauna, hay-therapy room (!) and relax-areas. A masseuse is on duty. As the "spa" is quite small, the hotel also offers substantial discounts on entrance fees to the larger Thermen down the street. Another nice discount was offered on the fare for the cable-car to Gemmi pass (a trip worth taking!!). Normal price is 27 francs, but tickets at the hotel were only 5 francs!!

The size of the room in combination with the very friendly staff and the hotel's amenities made the stay at this hotel pleasant enough; just make sure in advance they have your reservation!!

• Liked — amenities and location
  • Disliked — in need of a facelift
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Grichting & Badnerhof Swiss Q Hotel? Share your experiences!