“Nice and cosy” 5 of 5 stars
Review of NH Zurich Airport

You added NH Zurich Airport to your Saves list
NH Zurich Airport
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Schaffhauserstrasse 101 | Opfikon-Glattbrugg, Glattbrugg 8152, Switzerland   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
€15 for your next stay
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Glattbrugg
GreenLeadersGold level
St. Petersburg, Russia
“Nice and cosy”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

Clean and cosy hotel. The atmosphere in restaurant and bar is quite relaxing. You may find supermaket and pharmacy in few steps from the Hotel (till 8 pm). Sauna place made me absolutely happy after a busy day (free of charge). Sleepimg mattress are absolutely the best I ever slept on in hotels in my life. Delicilos and diverse breakfast were also appreciated.
I've not tried public transport to city center but heard it's really easy and qiute fast.
The only warning for you: please note that the Hotel is close to the airport and if you get a room on the last floor you may hear airplanes bouncing into the air and landing right above the roof of the Hotel. As airplanes are of my passion I didn't pay attention to temporal buzz.
These comments are made in comparison to same class hotels I stayed and experienced firs-hand in North of Italy during my trip to Switzerland.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Mumbai
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

The hotel is located 12 minutes from Zurich HB, by metro. The hotel is about 3 minutes walk away from Opnikof station, the third station from Zurich HB. Rooms were good and the breakfast was even better. Staff was quite helpful. Check out and Check in was smooth.

Room Tip: Nothing in particular
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Oxfordshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

Late arriving flight from Berlin (as well as lost suitcase) and so Swissport put me in this hotel overnight. Hotel reception efficient and helpful with a toothbrush etc as I had no luggage. Room fine and quiet even though at the front (410). Voucher for evening meal and initially felt sorry that there only seemed to be one staff member to run the tables, buffet drinks etc. Some salad leaves, pasta, potatoe and something in tomato sauce however after a military career I always appreciate any food no matter how basic. My german is reasonable and I mentioned there was no cold water for tea or coffee. His answer was very short and a basic translation was there isn't any! its not breakfast! I asked again in English as I thought I must have used the wrong verb but the answer was just as short, just as rude, "this area is buffet! that area is breakfast - there is not hot drinks". If I was paying for this sort of service (Lufthansa and Swissair pay) I would have checked out there and then! Next morning after a good nights sleep in a very comfortable bed - the breakfast buffet was being carefully monitored by the duty manager. He was very polite, helpful and the opposite of the previous nights experience so I left the hotel happy and ready to fly on (hopefully with my suitcase). Every hotel is judged by the best performance of its worst employee and I can only hope that this was a one off simply caused perhaps by not enough staff!

Room Tip: Rooms at the front of the hotel seem very quiet - very little road traffic or noise.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Clonmel, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Room was perfect..receptionist friendly and helpful. Breakfast was chaos..a few coachloads of tourists were in. It was impossible to find someplace to eat. Other than that a satisfactory business hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Regensburg, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

Unfortunately due to the delay of my flight, I was unable to catch my connecting flight to Heathrow. SWISS therefore checked me into this hotel for one night. I find it very inconvenient though to have to collect my lugguage instead of the airline handling it until my destination - but this is obviously an issue of SWISS.
The shuttle bus to the airport was only a short ride and it runs according to schedule.
The hotel itself was quite nice. I have been to NH Hotel in Frankfurt Airport and that was a horrible experience! However, this NH Hotel was clean, the staff were polite and helpful.
I came with a dinner voucher from the airline, the waiter of the restaurant tried selling all layover passengers the Cordon Bleu they have pre-prepared - this doesnt quite make sense to me as we do bring a lot of time to dine and most of us were happy to order a la carte. Perhaps due to the high priced dishes, the 20 SFR voucher only pays approx half of what a dish would cost on the menue - this might explain the pre- cooked meal.
I insisted ordering from the menu and was happy to pay the balance. The food was excellent - I ordered a steak and I like it medium rare and it was done just right.
The room was functional without frills. The heater was up quite high so I was glad I was able to open the windows. Wake up call was on time. There is no conceirge to help you with your lugguage - at least no one has offered although I was travelling alone with a big and small suitcase.
The bottom line is, I will be happy to return here if I am ever stuck in Zurich again.

• Stayed March 2013
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

Had to stay overnight here after our flight was cancelled, and had the worst service experienced in Switzerland. The restaurant however, took the cake. We were given 20CHF for Dinner (which does not cover alot), but figured we could have soup and wine. We were then told we could only had a salad and no drinks (HUH?)....which is not what our vouchers said. It became obvious to everyone that they were trying to give us whatever was leftover and cheap, and not honor the voucher.

We had to argue with the them for over 30 minutes to finally get some soup and wine. Overall the service made us feel like we were a total inconvience and I will never stay in a NH hotel again. In fact I probably share this feeling as the entire restaurant was full of unhappy customers.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Stuttgart, Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013 via mobile

This is a no-frills airport hotel that will do the job and not more. The public areas are in good shape with a state of the art breakfast buffet, eggs-to-order included. I can assess the rooms in the back building which were presented to us as a sort of upgrade ... Well if that is an upgrade, I do not want to know how the worse rooms in the rest of the hotel would pass my assessment. The back building is an older part of the site, probably built in the 50ies or 60ies. Whatever, probably not having in mind the necessary isolation of walls and windows for an airport hotel facing the approach end of a runway. The rooms, particularly the bathroom need upgrading. Well whatever, plan for a wakeupcall at 6 am, because this is when runway 28 starts being used as a landing runway. Every 90 seconds you will have a landing airplane flying about 500ft over you, so close the hotel is to the end of the runway. Sleeping not a possibility anymore.

Add a weird anecdote: upon enjoying the good breakfast and already being in my pilot uniform I asked the cook who was doing some replenishing of the buffet, if I could take a few joghurts and pastries as catering for our guest, and if I could have some sort of catering box. Implying that from my attire it was clear that I was asking professionally and expecting a bill the cook lectured me that the buffet was nit for free-riding. Interesting experience.

As I said: The hotel will do the job if you get up by 6am, but is really nothing fancy.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Been to NH Zurich Airport? Share your experiences!