“Superb food and location” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 55 Restaurants in Saas-Fee
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Superb food and location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2014

We enjoyed a romantic meal for two at the Fletschorn. The walk to and from Saas Fee to the restaurant is beautiful, giving the place a lovely isolated feel. The food was consistently excellent, with a remarkable wine list. We went with the sommerlier's recommendation, and drank the nicest bottle of Merlot I've ever had. The service was excellent, and very intimate, with only two staff including the sommelier. Both had excellent knowledge of the menu. The time left between courses was just right. The highlights of the evening were watching the sunset on the mountains, the cheese board(!), the Marcus Neff book presented for free at the end of the meal, and the walk back through the forest at night. Perfect. The restaurant is expensive compared to similar ones in the UK, but I think that is related more to the value of the Swiss Franc than anything else. The only criticism I would have is that the restaurant's decor seems a little dated nowadays. Very Swiss, but a little tired looking.

• Visited April 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Zurich, Switzerland
“Consistently good food, in other-worldly atmosphere...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014

We have dined here at the Fletschhorn for many years. First when the Chef was Irma Duetsch and many times with Markus Neff's creations. This restaurant gets it right on SO many fronts. Service, attention to detail, and refined flavours and elegant presentation. Once again we enjoyed a beautiful meal, started offs with a lovely avocado and seafood amuse bouche. (. My husband has a shellfish allergy and his was swiftly replaced with an alternative! For the starter I opted for the seafood ravioli which was the perfect size and paired with a very light and delicate cream foam. My husband black truffle Wellington which is decadent beyond imagination! Wonderful!
I stuck with fish, the Turbot and my husband tried the filet. The kitchen has earned it's Michelin rating!
We were disappointed to not see Sommelier Jerome Hintermann on this visit, as his knowledge and charisma really took the experience up from very good to truly memorable.
This restaurant is a destination experience and it's Michelin Star is reflected in the tab.....but well worth the treat. In the the best restaurants in Switzerland.

• Visited February 2014
Doha, Qatar
“Waldhotel Fletschhorn ,"The Pearl of the Alps". A culinary delight , a standout anywhere.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

We made an effort to go and dine at Waldhotel Fletschhorn while we where in Switzerland. I only read about it the night before our planned trip to Zermatt in my traveller's life list book .From Brig we went by train & bus via Zermatt . We were lucky to get a table for two when my husband called the next morning. The hotel/ restaurant arranged an electric car ( the only vehicle allowed in this quaint town) with driver to pick us up from the bus terminal in Saas-Fee. The drive through the forested hill to reach the chalet-like hotel / restaurant just outside town was amazing and the surrounding scenery is stunning. As soon as we arrived, we knew that this place is special. Jerome young and charming and very professional served us in the bar ,the most delicious champagne. They made us freshly baked mini pretzels, cheese bricelets "fletschhorntaler" ,grissini and also cold fresh tomato soup with parmesan wafer and mini pizza.. We ate it all, before we had a look at their menu. Maren was very helpful in translating the menu to us. We didn't know what to choose. I prefer fish or sheelfish or vegetarian meal but hey we are in a Michelin star restaurant and I will eat anything tonight , I whispered to my husband.Charlie took our order and insisted we have another glass of champagne on the house. He also recommended that we try their foie gras and who can say no to that? The atmosphere , the personal attention they've given us, warm hospitality,the pleasant service and the impressive cuisine with the wines that were so perfectly matched was just delightful. Wish we had room for the cheeses. The table next to us ordered some cheese and a trolley was wheeled in with probably 30 plus different kind of cheeses. We missed our train ( deliberately) back to Brig and the hotel booked our taxi home.But before we left they gave me a book about the stories and recipes from the hotel. It was a wonderful memento . They didn't know that my husband and I celebrated our 10th wedding anniversary this year and our trip to Switzerland was one of the celebrations we've planned this year. It was a lovely surprise especially because it was unexpected. We haven't stopped sharing our experience at the Fletschhorn to our friends and family and to whoever we meet on our travels. If you have the opportunity to go to Waldhotel Fletschhorn we recommend you do so at least even once ( or more after that ) in your life. God willing we will return someday soon and hopefully stay in their hotel too. Thank you so much again, Maren and Charlie and your team for your warm and generous hospitality . We don't know each other personally but you made us feel welcome in your beautiful home. We wish them all the best and continued success in their business .

• Visited July 2013
Singapore, Singapore
“Excellent as always”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

We have spent a few days at Fletschorn in July 2013. The view, the atmosphere, the wine and of course the food was excellent. Markus Neff, an extremely talented, yet very approachable and down-to-earth guy, has excelled once again. Not only was he able to accommodate my request to create my courses without dairy products, but he even went on to create special dessert for me.
If you want to be treated like a king and eat of the best food you ever had, the money at Fletschhorn is well spent!

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Zürich, Zurich, Switzerland
“Best restaurant in saas fee”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013 via mobile

Excellent food much better than expected and definitely deserves another Michelin star. Went twice on a three day trip.

• Visited August 2013