“Very comfortable and friendly...great food.” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel Steinbock
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via Maistra 219, Pontresina CH-7504, Switzerland   |
Ranked #11 of 19 Hotels in Pontresina
Melbourne, Australia
“Very comfortable and friendly...great food.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012

we visited this hotel in the summer. We received a warm welcome. The porter had to carry our heavy bags to the room as there is no lift. The room was a good size with an excellent view of the mountains. The hotel is at the end of town and is in a quite location although a large new building is going up across the road and this might result in some noise. The staff were very helpful. There was a spa which we didn't have time to use but it sounded to be very good.The meals were a highlight. We booked half board and this sometimes results in ordinary meals but these were fantastic. If you are travelling by train you will probably need a taxi to get to the hotel as there is a steep hill but the distance is less than a kilometre. I would recommend this hotel for for a short or long stay.Very comfortable and very friendly.

Room Tip: we had room 33 which was quite, had plenty of room, good bathroom and a beautiful view.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2012

On my drive from Frankfurt to Pontresina, my GPS led me across a pass that was closed.... Needless to say that my night drive over the winding little Alpine roads brought me to Pontresina very late. I called the hotel as soon as I realized that I would not be able to make it by 8pm.. They promised me to keep a staff member on duty until I would arrive. This was a big relief to me! When I got there, my suit case was brought upstairs into my room. As a single traveler, I am sometimes given a lesser room (for full price) - not so in the Hotel Steinbock. I had a quaint little room with bath and view to the mountains. I enjoyed the church bells wishing me a good night :) Internet access was included. On all my endeavors, the hotel staff was very helpful. After a long day's hike, I enjoyed a massage at the Hotel Walther's next door. The breakfast was excellent and the dinner was good too. Yes, there is no elevator, but the staff will bring your luggage to your room. All you have to be able is to take the stairs up one level. Next time I come to this area, I will stay at the Hotel Steinbock again! I have stayed in other hotels/Pension in Pontresina - but this was the best!

Room Tip: Call and make reservations over the phone.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Pfaffikon, Switzerland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2012

We stayed 3 nights and were more or less happy. The hotel is very small and has no elevator. The good thing is that the guests can use the wellness-facilities of the Hotel Walther. You just have to walk through the snow in your flip-flops and swim-suit!
The food was ok, but not more. We had a package including dinner sucht that we had to have dinner there and it did not always fully convince us.
Staff is friendly but not always helpful. We had a snowstorm and roads were blocked which made me quite nervous. They do not inform proactively but said they would print out the publich news as soon as they get them. The result was a 3 1/2 hour waiting time at the Vereina car-train.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Sunnyvale, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2010

We stayed for one night while on a Swiss hiking tour. The room we had was large, clean, and comfortable with high ceilings and lots of closet space. The room safe worked as well. The hotel dining for dinner and breakfast was fine, but my wife didn't think that the dinner of goulash was that well prepared. Breakfasts were above average for most Swiss hotels, with lots of fresh breads, pastries, and cold cuts. There were also hard boiled eggs and the cheese selection was above average. We thought the hotel was quite nice and the staff very good. As some have noted, this hotel is located on the edge of Pontresina, a bit away from the main drag but its not that far of a walk to the main bus stops and train station.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Cambridge, Mass.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2010

In the middle of a two week hiking holiday we stayed at the Hotel Steinbock for two nights in July. I had booked a room without a private bath and it was absolutely charming - similar to what was mentioned by one of the previous reviewers - and we never saw another person use the bath and shower facilities that were located right next to our room. The front desk manager was extremely helpful in suggesting the best way to catch a train to the Monteratsch glacier - "go right across the field and catch the train at the station there, not down at the bahnhof" - and how to use our Engadin free bus cards that came with the two night stay. The little side garden was a lovely place to have a drink. The use of the luxurious spa accommodations at the Hotel Walther next door was something we took great advantage of after day hikes on both of our days there, as well as the invitation to attend the night's entertainment in the elegant Walther parlor. Breakfast was excellent, the free internet was appreciated, and the library had a good selection of local newspapers. This was our favorite hotel of our two week stay in Switzerland and Austria.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Basel, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2010

We stayed for 5 days over Easter 2010. Our room was number 47, a new junior suite which was very spacious and had views down the valley and over to the Corviglia ski area.
All in all this is a great hotel. The halfboard meals were very good quality, and although only one menu was offered, it was no problem at all to have any of the courses altered.
Certainly on the quality of the meals, this hotel is possibly the best 3*** I've stayed in.
Next door is Hotel Walter, and you can amble over to try one of their extensive cocktails in their charming piano bar, and have it charged back to your room in the Steinbock.
The ski bus stop is only 100m away, so no problem getting to slopes if you are not driving. The trip to Corviglia takes about 15 minutes by bus.
All of the staff were very attentive and friendly.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Atlanta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2010

We arrived after a cold rainy day of hiking and our overnight stay was arranged by a tour operator. Unfortunately, when we arrived they didn't have our reservations. The front desk staff was very helpful and was quick to accommodate us. The stay was to have been prepaid through the tour operator so we got in touch with them and they quickly resolved the issue with the hotel. This all occurred after we were in our room and warming up with a hot shower. The rooms were modern and spacious as was the rest of the hotel. The location was at the far end of Pontresina, but everything was a close walk to the hotel. Our meals were included in our cost and the food was fabulous! Pontresina is known to be a skiing town so there are lots of hotel options to choose from and I would imagine many fine restaurants, but I was happy to have our meals at this hotel. Our waitress was not very verse in English and we were not very verse in German or Romansch, but they were happy to find us a waitress that could help us interpret the menu better and all was done with a smile and lots of warm hospitality. Both waitresses ensured throughout our dinner and breakfast that our needs were successfully met. Pontresina is a lovely town, smaller than St. Moritz, but definitely busier and larger than most towns in the Engadine. Overall a wonderful stay.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Steinbock? Share your experiences!