“incredibly noisy” 2 of 5 stars

Talstrasse 73 | Soldanella, Klosters 7250, Switzerland   |
Milan, Italy
“incredibly noisy”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

I stayed in a lot of hostel, so I wasn't obviuolsy expecting a "5 stars" hotel, but this was much worse than expected.

Check in and check out times are simply absurd, but this is something I can accepts.

The major problem is the insulation, or better the lack on insulation. The first night I was able to hear a family's conversation at 6.00 AM, at 8.00 the cleaning lady started the vacuum cleaner (in another floor) and sleeping was impossible. The second night was a bit better, I was able to sleep until 8.00 AM.

This is a YOUTH hostel, so stay away if you are a youth and you plan to go to sleep late. Probably you can sleep between 10PM and 6AM, but not much more.

I was expecting a BIT of noise, so I brought earplugs for security, but these were just useless. The insulation is so bad that you feel not only the noise but even the vibrations!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends

Business
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

Perhaps my wonderful experiences at the youth hostels in Scuol and Pontresina have raised my expectations to unreasonable levels, but I was very disappointed in this hostel.

The hostel is situated about 15 minutes' walk from Klosters Platz railway station. It's a fairly steep climb, but the No. 7 bus stops right outside (ask for the Soldanella stop).

The buildings were old and gloomy, and the garden appeared completely neglected. It all looked very un-Swiss and completely out of place in a neighbourhood of otherwise immaculate properties.

The room was very basic, although the bed was comfortable. The bin in the room was not emptied during my stay.

I had booked and paid for an evening meal but was told upon arrival that the meal would not after all be provided. I was given a full refund, but had I known that a meal would not be available I would not have booked this hostel. They were not prepared to let me cancel my reservation despite changing the terms in this way.

First impressions of breakfast were not good, as the buffet is not presented in an attractive way, but the actual food was quite acceptable.

On the positive side, the owner was friendly, there was free WiFi and guests also receive a pass offering free use of local cable cars and railways.

The hostel is inexpensive compared with other accommodation in Klosters, but offers far less for the money than other hostels in the area.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Quito
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

We really enjoyed our stay at Soldanella. We stayed here for a weekend with friends and it was a wonderful time!
What makes this place are the owners. Miriam and David are great hosts, really enthusiastic, friendly and very helpful. David is a wonderful cook, breakfast and dinner were delicious.
The house is spacious, quiet, well located and has a lot of character. We got a spacious room with a terrace where we could enjoy the panorama. The friendly atmosphere, terrace and garden, just makes you feel relaxed. The hostel is beautifully situated with an amazing view of the mountains. The sunsets were wonderful! Is a good starting point for hiking and biking trails.
All in all, a great place to stay. The next time we're back in Kolsters, this is where we would call "home" again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Zurich, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

We were a group of 15 that had booked various rooms (6-bed and 2-bed bunks) with half board for a birthday ski weekend. Thanks to the staff for managing our booking as we did have some changes when additional people confirmed/cancelled. The night before we arrived we were advised that there wouldn't be any dinner on the first night as there were not enough people to make this viable (we were only 6 for the 1st night) - they also called to ensure we got the message and apologized for any inconvenience. As others have mentioned, it is a decent uphill walk to the hostel. The hostel building itself is very cute and charming. Rooms are good and 2x handy common rooms which were great to meet everyone in. Breakfast and dinner were really good and everyone in our group commented on how great the hostel was and they would definitely go again. Unfortunately some disappointments with the customer service however - at dinner the staff were keen to clear the place out quickly and made some comments to the group to finish up and move on even though one person was still trying to finish their plate. On the day of check out, everyone vacated their rooms and paid by the 10am check out time. Some of us were getting picked up from the hostel in the early afternoon so we went for a walk, but as the weather wasn't very good 6 of us decided to sit in the common room and play some cards to pass the time for 1-2 hours until our ride arrived. We were asked by one of the staff what we were doing there and whether we were going to stay another night, because we couldn't just sit in their common room unless we paid for another night... a rather uncomfortable situation and a shame that a great weekend had to end like that. A little bit of flexibility would make a difference.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Livingston, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2009

Having just returned from a week's stay at the hostel Soldanella in Klosters, I thought I'd share my experiences with tripadvisor. Upon our arrival by train to Klosters, we found the hostel easy to find, but a tiring 10 minutes walk uphill. Not too bad if you travel lightly, but not so great if you have luggage. A word of warning though. As the roads and paths get covered in snow/ice in Winter, they are also very slippy. My friends found this out the hard way. I'd suggest hiring a taxi at the station if you come by bus or rail. The hostel is built in the traditional chalet style and is very pleasing on the eye. The room we had(tripple) offered stunning views of the mountains, and was clean, secure and comfy. It was quite quirky, with a small sitting area at the end of the room. As well as offering a half board option, it also has plenty of other things to keep you occupied (reading room, games room, etc). The half board option was fine, as breakfasts were very hearty and dinner was wholesome. As eating out in Klosters is rather expensive, this is a great way to do things on a budget. The only minus point I could give the hostel is that we only had 1 shower on each floor. Not a great problem, as I was fortunate enough to get in whenever I wanted, but I could imagine it might cause a few problems. I'd like to say a big thank you as well to all the staff (Miriam, David et all), who made everyone feel very welcome and were on hand to help out with various things. Overall, a great place to stay, with stunning views and friendly staff.

• Liked — staff, views and style of building
  • Disliked — lack of showers (very minor point though)
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Klosters Youth Hostel? Share your experiences!