Yes, the hotel is expensive - our room was €230 a night for three people (we stayed in room #34 which has a king size bed and one small twin). And yes, the hotel is a little dated - the rooms (and hallways) are dark and could use a little updating. But let's put things in perspective - this is Switzerland where everything is expensive and the hotel is located adjacent to the very touristy (though beautiful) village of Gruyeres where everything costs even more (stores charge up to €3.50 for a Callier chocolate bar which can be purchased at the factory in nearby Broc for €1.75). The other hotels in Gruyeres charge similar rates for their rooms.
Given this, we were very pleased with our three night stay. The room was comfortable and the bathroom contained all the toiletries you'll ever need. The breakfast buffet (all items are "cold" but you can hard boil your own eggs) is ample and suited our needs perfectly. The service was also fantastic.
What we liked about the hotel is that it is outside the village which resulted in a much quieter stay. There are several outdoor seating areas where you can relax at the end of the day. While the hotel does not have a restaurant they do give you a coupon for 10% off in three restaurants in the village.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hotel de Gruyeres At the foot of the Pre-Alps, the medieval town of Gruyeres will seduce you with its charming atmosphere and its beautiful architecture. The city gave its name to the region and its tasty cheese. Discover a city, within sumptuous surroundings, that has been spared by time. Our hotel is easily accessible and has a fantastic view of the medieval town and the Moleson. We welcome you year-round. The Gruyere region is the go-to vacation and relaxation destination. It offers numerous outdoor and cultural excursions as well as beautiful trails in the plains and in the mountains. The Hotel de Gruyere is located close to the winter resorts of Moleson, Charmey, Chateaux-d'Oex and Gstaad. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Priceline, HostelBookers and Despegar.com so you can book your Hotel de Gruyeres reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hostellerie Des Chevaliers Gruyères
- Hotel De Gruyeres Switzerland - La Gruyere