“Great Staff” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Larkfield Priory Hotel

You added Larkfield Priory Hotel to your Saves list
Larkfield Priory Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   802 London Road, Larkfield ME20 6HJ, England (Formerly Hamlets Hotel and Restaurant)   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Larkfield
London, United Kingdom
“Great Staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2014

We have just got back from this hotel and I cant say a bad word about it really. The professional photos make the place look smashing but its a little more 'tired' than that.. For the money we paid for it I really don't think you can complain. If you paid five star prices then you would be disappointed, but hey, we got this on Groupon/Wowcher so we knew what to expect and wasn't disappointed. Unfortunately while we was there my husband had a stroke, the staff acted quickly and efficiently resulting in getting my husband to hospital in time. Thank you to Audrey reception manager.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
TheHotelManager001, Guest Relations Manager at Larkfield Priory Hotel, responded to this review, July 25, 2014
Dear Guest
Thank You for Your 4 star rating review we have taken on board all your comments and we do hope, by the time of your next visit we will be worthy of your 5 star rating .Thank you again
from all the Staff at The Larkfield Priory hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Colchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

Booked for an evening stay plus afternoon tea including champagne.Oh dear, photos and website are more than a little misleading!! They had forgotten to book us in so a very lovely lady gave us an upgraded room. We had to laugh, thinking if this is upgraded heaven knows what the standard rooms were like! Had pre-purchased an afternoon tea with champagne, the waiter at least had the decency to call it sparkling wine, sadly though it was more like sweet pomagne, so bad I couldn't drink mine and even my husband didn't fancy drinking two glasses of the stuff! Menu looked appealing for an evening meal so opted to stay there rather than venturing out, only to find out that half the stuff wasn't available, which for a fussy eater is not good news.Advertised as "cooked to order", heated to order is closer to the truth!
Breakfast was ok,well it was at least available, but dried up fried eggs & cheap nasty sausages and packet hash brown. I couldn't face the grilled tomato as the one my husband had had with his "steak" the previous evening he said had a curious taste, all topped off with frozen sliced white bread from a toaster that didn't really work well or evenly! BUT the staff were very polite and friendly, if it hadn't been for them I think we would have demanded our money back! Definitely a prime candidate for The Hotel Inspector as far as decor is concerned. We did though have a laugh as it was soo very bad!!! Website reads very well and photos imply a countryside setting, but right in the main road and all photos are of front garden which is next to the same main road, not acres of grounds in which to walk round as photos imply!

Room Tip: Ask to see rooms first, we had a "Suite" which had a view of the huge B&Q store throug...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest
Thank you for staying at The Larkfield Priory Hotel. We're sorry to hear that your experience was not to your expectation. please note we have hundreds of guests each week going through our doors, leaving lots of good compliments which you can see on our website and from time to time a mistake does happen as we are only humans but we will take appropriate action to make sure it does not happen again We have a great staff base who work hard to satisfy our guests needs. The hotel is always looking to make improvements to the service it provides to our guests, so hopefully your next stay will be even better. We look forward to welcoming you back soon and thank you again for your review
From all the staff at The Larkfield Priory Hotel
Stoke-on-Trent, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

We stayed for two night this March, for a family wedding (the wedding was great).

It is very easy to blink and miss the hotel on the A20, it's not very well signposted. If it wasn't for the fact I knew where it was, I would likely have sailed on by.

The exterior of the hotel was not bad, you can see they are working on the appearance. With a few well spent pounds, it could be really nice. The photo on the website however is a tad misleading, giving the illusion of a countryside setting as opposed to the urban location it really is in.

The interior is another area of the hotel that is clearly being worked on, there were plenty of freshly painted areas, with recently papered walls etc. If that wasn't obvious enough, there were plenty of apologetic notices all over mentioning the improvements.

The room we were in (115) was pleasant enough. Up to date wallpaper, carpet could do with being replaced to match, but on the whole a pleasant enough room. View wasn't great (but not exactly an important factor for me), bathroom was clean and the shower was powerful and hot. One thing I did notice before I checked out, when ensuring I'd taken all of my belongings with me, I noted dirty cups and medication packaging under the bed...extra care needs to be taken to clean under the beds (something I was told as a youngster, you can't hide things under the bed). Speaking of beds, and I know this is a very personal thing, but they were too hard. My wife and I slept very poorly because of this and woke with chronic back ache (myself in particular, given my arthritis).

Breakfast was alright, it's hard to get an English breakfast wrong.

Bar prices are extortionate, £5.30 for a decidedly average single malt! Word to the wise, if you want alcohol, there's a Morrisons 30 seconds away.

Would I stay again? Depends entirely on the beds. If there were softer beds available, I probably would.

Room Tip: 115 seemed very noisy given there were multiple events going on that night, so maybe an upper floor...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Dear Guest
Thank you for staying at The Larkfield Priory Hotel. We're sorry to hear that your experience was not to your expectation. please note we have hundreds of guests each week going through our doors, leaving lots of good compliments which you can see on our website and from time to time a mistake does happen as we are only humans but we will take appropriate action on any points raised in your review , to make sure it does not happen again We have a great staff base who work hard to satisfy our guests needs. The hotel is always looking to make improvements to the service it provides to our guests, so hopefully your next stay will be even better. We look forward to welcoming you back soon and thank you again for your review
From all the staff at The Larkfield Priory Hotel
St Albans
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014

We took over a friend's booking due to their I'll health. Their website showed a picture that made this look a nice country setting, it's not, it's set back right next to a B & Q and easily missed.

Many people have given this a bad report saying it looked very tired. I read on their website that it had been refurbished and had a trouser press in each room. Well the refurbishment must have been a long time ago and there was no sign of a trouser press in our room.

The reception is rather uninspiring when you walk in. We were told that due to some work being done the kitchen wad closed that night, which is not what you want to hear on a two night break. They did eventually offer some pub type bar food which we reluctantly took. That wad an uninspiring burger and chips, mmmm.

The morning breakfast was in the conservatory which had laminate flooring that is well past it's useful date as can be seen in my photo. For our evening meal we could only eat in the lounge area and not the conservatory which meant eating at one of the laminate tables with no table cloths, all very basic. The waiter even decided to remove our side plates whilst we were still eating, leaning across my wife to remove the plate whilst she wad eating. We felt we were being rushed through the meal. The Desert menu was a hand written note that the waiter held, no printed menu.

I have stayed at hundreds of hotel during my working career and whilst this isn't the worst, that honour goes to a hotel in Hull, but it does tie second worst with a London West End hotel. I wouldn't stay hear again as it is still very tired looking.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Larkfield P H, Director of Sales at Larkfield Priory Hotel, responded to this review, March 26, 2014
Dear Luconda

Thank you for visiting the Larkfield Priory Hotel restaurant. We're sorry to hear that your stay wasn't up to your expectations. We have a great staff base who work hard to satisfy our customers needs, we'll take your comments on board to improve the visit of any future visitors. With regards to your complaint: the hotel has a thorough complaints procedure in place. Had you raised this problem at the time, you concern would have been logged and a dedicated member of staff will have contacted you upon insvestigating the problem. However, your decision to not bring this to our attention and instead attempt to make a publicly issue of it, means that the case is no longer in our hands. The TripAdvisor community consists of experienced and knowledgeable travelers and diners, who undoubtedly see through your comments. A t no time did we try to mislead you, if you was that concerned about second helpings I am sure, if you had asked the staff they would have gone out of their way to make sure you left full and happy.
We do hope you come back and are looking forward to seeing you again

Travelers are raving about these Larkfield hotels

4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2014

Stayed in room 5 for two nights.
room was comfortable, spacious and generally clean. If I were to critique anything it would be that the pillows could do with replacing and the net curtains cleaning.
The breakfast was good and plenty.
Staff were very kind and helpful, especially the young waitress who ended up bringing our evening meal to our room.
This hotel is in the middle of being updated, so far they seem to be doing a good job. The resturant and the lounge areas look lovely and are comfortable.
I would stay again.
Good luck for your future!

Stayed February 2014
Dear Verrall79
Thank you for staying at the Larkfield Priory Hotel. We're glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We have a great staff base who work hard to satisfy our customers needs. The hotel is going through a rolling refurb programme,so hopefully your next stay will be even better. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014

We stayed at this hotel for 3 nights on a KGB deal. The deal was 3 nights bed, breakfast and evening meal. However, it was pointed out to me by the very polite receptionist that in the small print the deal was actually dinner on the first night only, it just goes to show that you should always read the small print. I will be taking this up with KGB in relation to misleading headings on ads.
Having said that, we had a pleasant stay. The food was good but we had too wait 20-25 minutes for the main course dinner to be served, however it was worth the wait. The room was large and airy. We found 8 ladybirds on the window sill, which had also not been dusted recently. In the corner of the room were obvious signs of water seepage which had not been dealt with. The beds were a bit soft for my liking. What was not very pleasant were the base units of the beds which were stained heavily. Why could the hotel have not put a valance on the base to hide the stains?
The staff were pleasant but some could not speak English very well, and it took some time to get through to them what we wanted.
We may stay at this hotel again but it will be in the distant future.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back as you can get a lot of noise from the car park outside in the late night...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
TheHotelManager001, Guest Relations Manager at Larkfield Priory Hotel, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Dear Karl
Thank you for your very kind review . its really appreciated.
Best wishes from all the staff at the Larkfield Priory Hotel
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

I read reviews on here after booking, and was worried about what we might find. There are good and bad points, however I was pleasantly surprised.

Good points: the staff were great, polite, happy and friendly. The room was clean (although the window ledge needed dusting). The bed (a standard double) was comfy. Breakfast is complimentary and was good, not great, but there was a selection of cooked items, cereals and toast.

The waiter forgot we needed plates for our food, however when we pointed it out he immediately fetched some and was very polite.

The negatives? Please pat test hairdryers and kettles, ours were due for retest in Nov 2012. Towels need replacing, I had a big hole in my towel. The shower curtain and (rusty) rail also need replacement and the knob has come off the shower (it still worked). I think the shower needs de scaling too, it was fine, but this will make it a little more powerful. Our room was on the 2nd floor, maybe offering to help guests with bags might help. (Luckily I have a big strong man to carry mine but other guests might not). The decor of the room was a mix of old dark wood furniture and modern decoration, and old elaborate Italian looking curtains, a bit of a mismatch, I'm not too fussy but a change of curtains would make a big difference to the look of the room.

I did enjoy my stay, the staff were lovely, and I had a good nights sleep, I would book again if staying in the area, although if the pat test isn't done I would be disappointed, that's really important!

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear coffee_wench
Thank you for your very informative feedback . let me assure you that every single point raised in your review will be investigated and appropriate action taken to rectify the situation so we do hope on your next visit it will be an even better experience than this time
Best wishes from all the staff at the Larkfield Priory Hotel

Been to Larkfield Priory Hotel? Share your experiences!