“DON'T LET THE BED BUGS BITE!!!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Larkfield Priory Hotel

Save Saved
You added Larkfield Priory Hotel to your Saves list
Larkfield Priory Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   802 London Road, Larkfield ME20 6HJ, England (Formerly Hamlets Hotel and Restaurant)   |
Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Larkfield
Leeds, England, United Kingdom
“DON'T LET THE BED BUGS BITE!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

We stayed at this hotel after we had read the most recent positive reports on Trip Advisor - BIG MISTAKE!!!

Overall the hotel is okay, very tired in parts but it is in the process of being refurbished. We had an evening meal which was very average, and a cooked breakfast (beware this is an extra £4.50 per head - the room rate only includes continental!!!) was actually very nice.

It wasn't until we settled down in the evening that my partner and I both started itching and to my HORROR, on checking the bedding, it was covered in dead bugs, on the sheet, on the duvet and there was even some dried blood. We were appalled, however as it was late at night we had no option other than to make the best of it. This prompted me to check the rest of the room and it quite clearly hadn't been cleaned - totally unacceptable!!!

We spent the entire night and following day itching like crazy and discovered a number of bites!!!

What shocks us the most is that as we checked out, we made the lovely girl on reception aware of the issue and she assured us that a Manager would be in touch. We're still waiting for a call, it is if they just couldn't care less.

Take my advice and book somewhere else and somewhere that puts customer satisfaction much higher on their list of priorities.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Larkfield P H, General Manager at Larkfield Priory Hotel, responded to this review, June 2, 2013
Dear Rachel Following your complaint my assistant manager called in a firm of pest control companies as she was so concerned by this and wanted to get this checked out as a matter of priority as this was treated quite rightly as a serios issue the pest control company found no evidence of anything in the bed or the bedding ,but did find evidence of some external gnats that had obviosly come in during the day when the housekeepers were airing the room on cleaning. i telephoned you the minute this complaint was brought to my attention as i had been away from the hotel for 3 days ,without having spoken to my assistant manager who brought me up to speed with the steps she had taken, But she should have spoken to you and at least given you a courtesy call ,But because she had taken it so seriously she was waiting to hand over the file of actions she took to ensure that this was dealt with urgently.However that doest get away from the fact she should have telephoned you ,For that I can only apologise on her behalf . I understand as discussed with yourself in my telephone call to you that You had a drinks bill of £40.95 which was also taken off the bill by the assistant manager to go somewhere towards your inconvenience I would have loved to have been able to have spoken to you before you published your review we could have easily have sorted this ,but This was a case of the ordinary GARDEN GNAT that had flown in to the room through an open window when the housekeepers were cleaning the room on wednesday morning . there is also AIR CONDITIONING in that room for that purpose to stop people opening the windows to attract these insects during the summer months. I have Briefed all our housekeepers to be vigilant when airing rooms in future .But thes GNATS do fly in during the summer .I do hope this explains our actions Thank you for taking the time to bring this to our attention Thankfully on this occassion it wasnt as serious as you thought and was just a common GARDEN GNAT Best wishes The General manager

197 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

We stayed at this hotel on a 2-night Groupon offer. Just before we went I reread some of the reviews and became very anxious about our stay!
However I need not have worried! We received a very warm welcome from the Receptionist, and whilst I do agree that some areas of the hotel are rather worn [and, like everyone else we didnt notice the sign about the improvements], yet everywhere was spotlessly clean - top marks to the cleaners!
Our room [202] was very spacious, clean and comfortable. The windows opened wide, which is important to us, and the bathroom was perfectly adequate. The only thing missing was a brochure about the hotel.
We ate in the Restaurant on both evenings - the service was slow, but friendly, and the food was good, especially my salmon, and the soup on both evenings. They also take Tastecard, which is more than fair.
All the staff were extremely friendly [except the manager {?!}], and helpful. We used the bar, which was well-stocked, and the breakfasts were more than adequate - you can pay for a full English [which my husband did on both days].
We were blessed with three days of perfect weather which added to our pleasure in this weekend. You can sit out on the green with a drink or relax in the conservatory.
All in all a great weekend in a good hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms higher up are quieter when there's a party on [as there was when we were there].
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Larkfield P H, General Manager at Larkfield Priory Hotel, responded to this review, June 1, 2013
Thank you for your lovely review the only part i cant understand is all the staff were lovely except the manager ,that one i found very puzzling ,i always enjoy talking to all our guests indeed i go out of my way to make a point of this, as i love meeting new people from all areas so my apologies if i came accross anything other than approachable, and cheerfull, some days events catch up with you so my apologies once again if i seemed anything like grumpy i assure you im not and i cant understand this and would welcome disscussing this with you to ensure i never give this impression Otherwise thank you For the lovely review Best Wishes The General Manager
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013 via mobile

Got to say, we were very surprised at what we found when arriving at the hotel.
The staff were polite, friendly and made us welcome, food was excellent room was very comfortable, but in need of an update.
All the public areas were spotlessly clean. We would certainly recommend the Larkfield as a place to stay.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Larkfield P H, General Manager at Larkfield Priory Hotel, responded to this review, June 8, 2013
thank you for your lovely review i will pass this onto the staff Best Wishes The General Manager
Rugby, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

I stayed for 2 nights at this hotel and, whilst the staff were very friendly and tried hard to make my stay enjoyable, the hotel is very dated and needs urgent renovation. My room (209) was very small and sparse and lacking modern furniture and fittings. Breakfast was acceptable but the coffee was weak and 'stewed' ! The lounge bar is tired and lacks any atmosphere. There is free Wi-Fi but not in the bedrooms. Plenty of parking space and the location has real potential but money must be spent. Friendly staff is not enough and, even at £48 per night it is still expensive!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Larkfield P H, General Manager at Larkfield Priory Hotel, responded to this review, May 26, 2013
Dear Valued guest there is a prominent notice in reception advising guests that we are in the process of carrying out some improvements to the hotel and this includes all rooms and furniture so we are in the process of doing this ,at the moment so i will add room 209 to the top of the list hopefully you may return at some future date to see the improvements .Thank you For your Valuable feed Back Best wishes The General Manager

Travelers are raving about these Larkfield hotels

Hereford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

I stayed there last weekend and did find staff professional, cheery and helpful. Did have a somewhat odd conversation on the Friday before when I phoned to ask a question and spoke to a scottish man (I believe the manager reading comments below), who though helpful, answered the phone just with a 'Hello' and in my opinion, slightly less than professional way of handling my enquiry. However, needn't have worried, as my room was very nice - had been refurbished, so all good. Staff all helpful. Everything properly clean, so all good and would stay there again if in the area.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Yes i must apologise for that your call came through to my office and showed up as reception so i thought it was my receptionist requiring my help so my apologies once again about that however im glad you liked our hotel and the staff and found us very helpfull we aim to please and we are constantly looking at ways we can improve.Thank you for your Valuable feedback Best wishes the General Manager
Essex
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

Had a wedding literally up the road at Bradbourne House. Ideal economical and convenient for the wedding. Rooms were ok a bit of a mish mash of decoration but clean. Shower nice and breakfast hot. Friendly staff and front desk open 24 hours which was great as could then get our key at midnight. Our room 102 in need of modernisation but we could walk to the hotel about 15 minute walk. and did not have the hassle of taxis late at night.

• Stayed May 2013
Larkfield P H, General Manager at Larkfield Priory Hotel, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Thank you for your valuable feedback, we are currenty in a proggramme of improvements as advertised in reception but we note all comments and take action in all cases thank you for your positive feedback best Wishes the General Manager
Wickford, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

We were greeted by a friendly receptionist, who gave us our key and told us where our room was situated. Our impression on entering the room was that it was clean but that the furnishings needed some updating. Considering the hotel was being advertised as 'recently refurbished' we were quite shocked. We were on a special weekend price which included 2 nights B & B and a 2 course meal on the Saturday evening. On arrival we were told that the restaurant was actually booked for a private function so were offered our meal in a small side room instead. This looked quite cold and unwelcoming so asked if we could have our evening meal there on the Sunday instead. We arrived for our meal on the Sunday as booked and were handed a menu from which to chose our two courses. We both plumped for the steak which we were told by the Manager was not included in the offer, therefore, there would be a supplementary charge. We checked our offer and could not find anything to suggest there would be any such supplement, which we advised the Manager of. He then went back on what he had said and we were given the meal we had requested. We felt 'he was trying it on' to which we were not impressed at all. They seemed to be extremely short staffed as there only appeared to be a barman doubling as a waiter. Whilst the Manager appeared to be strutting around not doing very much at all !! The meal though could not be faulted and the steak absolutely delicious. Overall we would recommend this hotel but feel the Manager could have been more professional.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Larkfield P H, General Manager at Larkfield Priory Hotel, responded to this review, May 19, 2013
Thank you for your valuable feedback We take all comments on board and take action in all cases , This hotel is currently in a programme of improvements as per our notice prominately displayed behind reception and , and have taken action on them as i did on that evening and going forward . thank you for your valuable feedback Best wishes The General Manager

Been to Larkfield Priory Hotel? Share your experiences!