“A home away from home” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Colonel's Resort

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bir
Colonel's Resort
You added Colonel's Resort to your Saves list
VPO Bir | Kangra Valley, Himachal Pradesh, Bir 176077, India   |
Ranked #1 of 5 Bir B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Kingscliff
“A home away from home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013 via mobile

I booked a group of 8 of my paragliding friend's and myself into the Colonels in October for a 2 week stay. From the moment we arrived we were taken care of. The food was excellent and the hospitality genuine.

The Colonel and his wife Pratibha are very welcoming and wonderful people.

• Stayed October 2012

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
mandi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

We simply drove in having had to beat a hasty retreat from where we had been booked in. No matter. Colonel JP welcomed us with a firm handshake and soft smile. 'Show them the rooms,' he said with pride, and as we found out, for a work of love and labour of one family, he has plenty to be proud of. The rooms are in a row, each with a porch, in a single storey building set in the middle of a garden. Each one has distinctive interiors, even distinctive 'personalities'. And each one is immaculate and with that one thing i like - attention to detail. Even so it is the hosts' hospitality that makes this gem shine; making the meals to our taste and sharing them with us around a bonfire along with a favourite from his cellar, making sure the kid does not go hungry and is tucked into bed, inviting us into his residence for morning tea. When we leave, the colonel asks us to stay in touch. We will.

Room Tip: suit your 'personality'
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Delhi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

Surrounded by the tea plantations and snow peaked mountains, Colonel's Resort - is excellently located. With 'fauji' hospitality and Himachali smile, the Colonel introduces you to panoramic walks through villages where you see the babbling brooks, little children running to school, cute calves mooing away and steep mountains.

The morning begins with tea under the trees, over looking the tea estate, and ends with the Colonel's family and the guests around a bonfire with snacks, drinks and interesting conversation. No one misses the TV!

During the day there is much to do - visit monasteries, para gliding or go out for picnics - all of which is closely located.

The staff is very attentive and provides excellent service! And the nimbu pani served is excellent!

The dogs - Frisky and Dash are excellent company and with them around there is unlimited entertainment!

All in all - my family and I had a wonderful time and are planning a second trip!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

It was my second visit to this amazing resort that is so clearly a creation of immense love and hard work on the part of Colnel JP and his charming wife Pratibha. Of course the rooms a lovely, quaint, very well equipped and neat and thankfully with no TV !The sheer experience of being taken care by the hosts ( this includes everyone especially my girls' favorite - Frisky and dash) is unlike any i have experienced so far. I am a fairly well traveled and i put the experience of staying at the Colonel's as one of the best I will ever have. It is a wonderful place to go to and i recommend it one and all.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Denbigh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

What a wonderful place to spend a week! The room was very comfortable and clean, the bathroom and shower room too!We had our own little place to sit outside and spot the different bird life.The Col and his wife Pratibha where very attentive and looked after us very well.We also loved their little dog 'Dash' and of course Frisky too, along with the two horse's! (who needs a lawn mower!)The food and choice was very good and we loved the Col.'s tea, the service and staff were excellent.The area is great for site seeing especialy going up to Billing where the para- gliders where, what a view! 8000 feet up and it took 45 minuets to get to the top!.We had a really wonderful time there and would not hesitate to go back.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

I went with my family. I find it difficult to express in words as review my experience of the place owned by a wonderful family. Every body in my family enjoyed the place inspite of different Age Group.We were taken care by owner of the resort Col. JP and his wife Pratibha, their son Vikramaditya Singh and daughter Vidushi. How do i forget to mention Namata, Phreesky and dashing Dash ! !!!
It was very homely feeling and Felt like Home away from Home. I felt like my ancestral place.
Morning walks with Col. JP, excellent breakfast,very delicious and hygienic lunch and dinner with mouth watering desserts were really showing a great care taken by Pratibha.
Their guidance for various site seeing, paragliding,visit to monasteries helped to plan the day perfectly.
Conversations with Vikramaditya updated our knowledge. And his love for Animals , training he gives to his pets is admirable. I found a good teacher who can teach us horse riding, shooting and what not. His passion about cars really impressed me. Well, it made our trip very special too.
I think JP and Pratibha are just devoted to whosoever visit them.
One must visit the place to feel. I am unable to stop writing about them and place.
We stayed there for six days and I was totally cut off from other worldly desires and nature was governing me.
Thanks a lot for providing unforgettable moments in my life.

• Stayed May 2013
Delhi, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

We've just got back from a simply awesome trip to Colonel's Resort in Bir. Stumbled upon the resort in a frantic last-minute search on the net for a place to stay in. The Colonel very politely (and much to our relief) confirmed the availability of rooms for the weekend. Must admit, we were not quite sure what to expect, though the pics and reviews indicated a pleasant experience. I just fell in love with the place on sight. The warm, gracious hosts and their retinue of well-groomed staff, the environs which are just the right mix of natural and tamed beauty, the adorable dogs--Frisky and Dash, the graceful mare Mamta who thinks nothing of mingling with delighted guests, the colt--well, everything is simply awesome for a city-weary soul like me. What made it special for us were the personal touches like the evening tea with the Colonel, the early morning treks with him and the dogs, the patient responses to our endless questions, and the thoughtful gesture of bottles of water and packets of sandwiches for our journey back home! The food was delicious--reminiscent of home-cooked food and unlike the boring, standard and predictable menu of hotels and restaurants. The best part, however was the host couple. Those looking for 'something to do' or with children who're used to malls and the fast-paced city life might find it a tad boring--no TVs either. But I'm definitely going back for more!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Colonel's Resort? Share your experiences!