“Excellent value for money” 5 of 5 stars

Red Star Surf & Yoga Camp
Avenida el Marinero 9 | Famara, 35558 Caleta de Famara, Lanzarote, Spain   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Padstow, England, United Kingdom
“Excellent value for money”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2014

Red star is excellent value, the facilities are great and the team are really welcoming. Cat in particular goes out of her way to make you feel welcome. They will even arrange taxis etc for you if needed.

Highly recommended.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

I think the best thing about Red Star was that I felt like I was being treated like a friend, not just a customer. The first night Jerry took us out to a local tapas bar, Andrey had us playing surfing agility games involving cereal boxes, everyone was superduper friendly and helpful. Would I go back? Absolutely, I already went back in fact, I spent a few days on another island, had a few days to spare and went back for more surfing. The yoga instructor was fabulous, the surf teacher had me standing on the board the first afternoon and the young team in the shop tried to help with every and any question I had, and we even got a free T shirt! On my last night I had a pain in my ankle, I called Katie really late and she was there in 10 minutes with first aid supplies and offered to take me to hospital. I felt safe and looked after even though I was travelling solo. The only little thing I didn't like was that the first time I arrived at the surfhouse, it wasn't very clean and the thingy that holds the shower up needs fixing, but these are details compared to everything else, and when I went back the second time everything was a lot cleaner. I will be back I'm sure.

Room Tip: The shared room on the roof terrace has a lot of character
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2014 via mobile

I would measure a trip on the following areas and Red Star deliver on all 5 of these hence the 5 stars:
Location, Service, Value for Money, Visit Again, Recommend-to-a-Friend

Great local knowledge, invaluable recommendations on both the do's and don'ts in and around the island. Staff are super friendly and above all fun! Cheers guys, Pura Vida!

Za znakomstvo!!

• Stayed February 2014
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2014

my first solo trip and i found the whole experience very easy from start to finish. when i finally decided to go surfing in lanzarote I contacted a few of the local surf camps and found Red Star the most easiest to deal with, Olga was great on email contact and her relaxed and chilled manner made me feel at ease and put to rest any worries i had about coming alone.
when I arrived everyone was very friendly and welcoming. I had my own room at the surf house which was clean and tidy and it was only a few minutes walk to the surf shop. The surfing lessons were great and all the instructors were so patient and passionate about surfing. I opted for the yoga sessions in the afternoon which were also amazing and really easy to follow. Half way through my stay I got sand in my eye, Andrey was amazing and took me straight to the local hospital to get it taken out.
I had a great time and would recommend staying with Red Star.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo

Berlin, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

One of the best experiences ever. Howard Marks, Mr. Nice himself seems to be the shop manager, Crocodile Dundee's Brother is THE instructor and Surfari-Leader! Meeting people from all over the world, making friends, enjoying together in the middle of the ocean on lava land which might seem nothing but still shows you all of the essential. Mind blowing. Great service, great staff, 100% competence. So only two ways: Love and live it and spread love and life or stay away.

Room Tip: make a choice :)
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

Located in Famara, it is not that touristy, which imho is a good thing. Surf house was great. Just the usual hostel, all the necessary basics are there, lots of sand in the apartment (duh), but gets cleaned by the awesome cleaning girl on a daily basis. Met a lot of russian people, Americans, Norwegians, and other insane members of society. Had a great time surfing, relaxing & chilling out with people in general. Beach is about 10 minutes walking, should be doable with a hardboard (and otherwise you can just leave your board at the surfshop which is closer by the beach). I'd recommend renting a car for some variety in your surfing spots (Harrieta was the best surfing experience), as well as to see some sights, although Lanzarote is mostly desert and the landscape may look more like Mars. But hey, who cares; you've got sunshine and sea all around. Hostel was also dead cheap. Really friendly people. Bars are dead cheap, maybe dated interiors or one of them (sunset) smelling like a men's urinal, but again, they serve their purpose well.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo

4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2014

I turned up without a prior booking and managed to get a private room in the self catered apartment, sharing with some russian's, which made for a really fun week. Room was as basic as you can get, just had a foam mattress on the floor with a sheet and a towel, but because of that was dead cheap. As I was there to surf, that's all I really needed.

Famara itself was stunning, so quiet, amazing weather, really great place to slow down and return to centre for a week. The waves were sweet most days too, but unfortunately no wind for the whole week which meant Kite Surfing was out. Location of the apartment, was really convinient, just round the corner from the surf shops etc, and only a bit farther to the nearest beach, The burger/tapas restaurant across the road was phenomenal and ridiculously cheap too. The 'Super Famara' was about 3Euro i think, and that could fill a serious hole. Really friendly staff too. As I was on the first floor, I could sleep with the shutters wide open with the breeze coming through, which was awesome. However, I did get woken up every morning by this welsh guy who ran another surf school across the road. Each morning he insisted on having shouty conversations from the comfort of his balcony with his people/staff down on the street. Why shout back and forth? Just go down there man..

The Red Star surf shop was run by some really cool people, everyone was real friendly and laid back. I got my pick of boards each day - as much wax as I could eat. Even tho i really wanted to, I didn't manage to do yoga as there weren't enough other people wanting to do it. They also were happy to take me on surf safari around to other spots on the island whenever the waves on the main beach weren't upto much. The main man (can't remember name) was a real helpful and friendly guy despite being constantly high, Welsh Mike was entertaining as hell to listen to, every day the world was ending for him, that dude had troubles.. Ilyena was a sweet girl and ridiculously hot with it. I never tired of watching her wax my board each morning...

All in all it was an awesome week. Would definitely reccommend.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Been to Red Star Surf & Yoga Camp? Share your experiences!