“Weingut Rademacher” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #17 of 42 Hotels in Cochem
Boston, Massachusetts
“Weingut Rademacher”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2011

I had a lovely stay here. Herman was a gracious host. I so enjoyed the tour of the wine cellar and the tasting. The wines were delicious! It was an easy trip on the train to hike to Burg Elz and in the evening to walk into town along the river and choose from many nice places to eat. I didn't mind at all that the television/ refrigerator were not in the room;you meet other people traveling that way! I would definitely recomend it!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2011

The winery/hotel is very easy to find from the train station. When exiting the train station, exit to the rear and then cut through the parking lot to the back left corner. There it is. Very easy to find. The rooms are easily accessible (no steps required) and had all the amenities listed on the web site. Breakfast was good and filling. We stayed in one of the rooms in the rear which looked out to the grape vines. There was no train noise nor was there any noise from the other rooms. Only occassionally would we hear the owners walking around upstairs.

Room Tip: I would request a room in the rear
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Bellingham
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2011

We stayed for two nights in May. We are still in Germany as I write this. Out of the three pensions and two hotels we have stayed at thus far this was the only disappointment.
We were taken to our room and shown where the TV room and refrigerator is. These are not in the room. At first glance the room looked nice. We left our bags and went exploring as we usually do.
As we were unpacking, I noticed a number of hairs on the sheets on my side of the bed. My wifes side had a few hairs some crumbs and dirt on the blanket. The owner was called and the sheets were changed and the bedding was fine thereafter.
The floors appeared to not have been swept for some time as there was debris that was there when we got there and there when we left. The small table had some sticky rings from glasses or bottles that I wiped off. The towels in the room were frayed and I would be embarassed to give them to guests in my home.
Other breakfasts we had on this trip had a layout where you could choose meats and cheese as well as fruit. Here we were given a plate with three slices of bologna type meat with three slices of cheese to split between us. The rolls were fresh and the boiled eggs were warm and nice.
I have read some of the preceding reviews which is why I chose this place and I can't believe the difference. My last two reviews on the other Pensions we stayed at were all good. We were especially looking forward to this place and were highly disappointed.

Room Tip: You'll have to ask the other reviewers.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Dover, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2011

We chose this hotel as it is in the picturesque town of Cochem on the banks of the Mosel. Other, more centrally located hotels are much more expensive, and being beside the railway station is easy to find.
The rooms are cool and comfortable, with views onto the vineyards and the side of the valley. There is no entertainment, TV, radio, wi-fi in the rooms, and a communal room has a TV, fridge and coffee making facilities.
It is a five minute walk from the town centre where there is a rich choice of places to eat and drink, and yet is far enough away to be peaceful and quiet. except when a train goes through, which does happen most of the night; the noise might be a problem for some, but I found after an hour or two me, as a light sleeper, had no trouble nodding off.
Breakfast was a heart German style with fine rolls and a selection of meats and preserves.
For the money, I don't believe anywhere in town offers such great value for money.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Duncan, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2011

I spent 2 nights here in Mar2011. We had some trouble getting checked into the room (office was closed and we had no cell phone to call the supplied number...) Once we were able to get a worker from the vinyard to ask another guest to call the number on the door, things went very well (although, be warned, while Hermann does speak English, others you may encounter here and in Cochem in general may not). The room was nothing exciting but perfectly sufficient. We enjoyed a wine tasting and tour of the cellar. We also were able to hike back down the mountain from the chairlift through the Weingut Rademacher's vinyard. Breakfast was perfectly acceptable. All-in-all it was a good place to stay.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Prairie Du Sac
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2011

The owner met us with a glass of his own very good wine and was very friendly. The room was clean and spacious but basic. The breakfast was very good. We loved the location. It only took us 5 min to walk downtown.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Alexandria, VA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2010

When arriving (by Railpass on the train), I already knew from reading other reviews the winery was very close to the train station. My boyfriend and I waited and let the train depart before moving off the platform. Sure enough, the place is right there! I loved how easy it was to get to. We stayed in room 4, it was clean and roomy with a little table and chairs. The bathroom was rather small, we both couldn't fit in it at the same time (and we aren't big people!). The shower was incredibly small, you only get a few small bars of soap, no shampoo or anything, and the towells have seen much better days.

We were greeted by a younger girl that could only speak some English (and the older lady didn't speak any), so I think a few of the important instructions were lost, like breakfast. But, it wasn't too hard to figure things out. The bed was comfy, but I had a very hard time sleeping. There were stairs on the other side of the wall where our heads were. And, apparently kids were staying up there because they were running up and down the stairs for a few hours, no, they were stomping up and down the stairs. Outside of the rooms have small table and chairs set up, when people would retire for the night, they would sit and relax for a bit. Which was pretty loud. Needless to say, I didn't get much sleep.

Due to the lack of Enligh, when asking directions to a place to eat, we got a blank stare in response and decided it best to say thank you and just started walking towards the castle. After a few minutes walk, you come to a more touristy street. We found a bar to sit outside and eat at. After that, we kept walking towards the castle, just wandering the streets of Cochem. It was so much fun, the city is so quiant and cute. By reading reviews of the castle, I already knew to save my money and not pay to go inside. But, the view was worth the hike up the hill!! It was beautiful, overlooking the city and the Mosel was breathtaking. I also got some amazing pictures of the castle.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Weingut Rademacher? Share your experiences!