“Better than OK” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Cocklebiddy Wedgetail Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Eucla
Cocklebiddy Wedgetail Hotel
You added Cocklebiddy Wedgetail Hotel to your Saves list
Eyre Highway, Eucla, Western Australia 6330 , Australia   |
Ranked #2 of 3 Eucla B&B and Inns
Perth, Australia
“Better than OK”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

If you have a pet, this is for you!
Pets welcome and providing you clean up after them there is no extra cost.
Beer was cold. Food was ok . Basic but clean and very friendly. Beats driving the treacherous nullabor at night. Too many Emus, Camels and Roos. So stay here!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013 via mobile

We read the reviews of cocklebiddy before we arrived and were a little concerned. What we were met with was not only friendly service but a clean and well maintained nullabor stop over. Perhaps the previous reviewers were city slickers and not realizing exactly the location they were at???
The rooms are clean, comfortable and have everything you need for a nullabor stop. We had dinner and some drinks at the bar and enjoyed it all. Sure things are a bit more expensive but think of what the owners have to pay to get supplies out there.

In a sentence I would say, stay at cocklebiddy and enjoy yourself!

• Stayed May 2013
Narooma, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

Cocklebiddy Roadhouse is a good experience. Travellers should be well-aware that all that exists at Cocklebiddy is the Roadhouse, incorporating a fuel outlet, bistro, restaurant, bar & motel - & is a very long way from anywhere. There is no mobile phone or internet service nor even daily papers. Passersby often leave newspapers & these are available to read in the bistro, free of charge. Thoughtful travellers might consider doing the same. There are two different standards of room - choose the more expensive ($120 pn). This was a very basic room of simple, older design with an adequate, but basic, en suite. The bed was queen size & very comfortable. The room was clean & tidy, although a little musty when we first opened the door. The air conditioner was a little noisy but performed well. Parking was available in front of our door. Prior to dinner, we had a couple of drinks in the bar which was very friendly & interesting with many signs & posters around the walls. We found all the staff to be cheerful, friendly & welcoming. The restaurant is basic & the menu small, which is unsurprising having regard to the location and the small number of customers. I had the roast lamb & vegetables while my wife had a lamb stew. The roast had clearly been prepared earlier & heated in a microwave, but was surprisingly nice. My wife really enjoyed her stew. All in all, we were very comfortable & enjoyed our experience & would recommend it as a place to break your journey. The Roadhouse is adjacent to the highway, but is a short distance off it. Despite the comments of some others, we were not disturbed by any highway noise.

Room Tip: Choose the dearer rooms which have an en suite & are away from any noise.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Kalgoorlie, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

I was driving from SA to WA. I stayed at he Cocklebiddy Inn for one night and that was one night to many. It is close to the high ways most of them are but the trucks kept me awake all night. The bathroom had the fly wire part taped up and the exhaust fan was to dirty to work so there was no air extraction in the bathroom I am sure this would it pass health inspections. The kitchenette is opposite the bathroom when. It should be at he other end of the room away from the bathroom. They left the outside lights on all night and they were still on at 6:00 the next morning talk about a waste of power never mind the fact that the curtains did not cover the window properly and if it were not for the trucks keeping me awake it was the light. We order some dinner from the cafe as the restaurant was expensive we got 2 steak sandwiched and a box of chips to share and the steak sandwich wasn't very nice but it cost $33 for the 2 of us and we took it back too our room what a rip off. The carpets in the room was very dirty and in need of replacement they were worn through in one spot. The whole place could do with a make over. Knowing what I know now next time I will drive the extra half hour to Caiguna. I have not stopped at Caiguna but I did stop there to use the toilet on the way to SA and the toilets were very clean. They are set back of the high way a little so I think they may be quieter and cleaner than Cocklebiddy and I will be staying there next time.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Sydney
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

Think yourself lucky you have any stops for food and a feed out there. In 1966 I went across and it was dirt all the way and a great adventure. Many trips later, on motorbikes I always enjoy it. Sleep under the stars, talk respectfully to the staff and ask them about their life and why they live in such isolated surrounds. You might learn something. It's OZ; it's BIG, and it's empty. If you don't like the never never then never ever go there.

Room Tip: Don't stay in a room! Sleep under the stars and you will always remember it.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Perth, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

NEVER stay at this place. The bathroom would not pass health checks - broken laminex, rusty sink, filthy door frame.
The ceiling leaked in several places - two of them above the bed, so sleep was minimal. There was no heater and the temperature dropped to 3C overnight.
Restaurant food was very expensive. The steak was nice but the chips were the worst I've seen.
In the morning I tried to speak to the manager about the problems and he said he would look later. He also said "We provide a service and people should be grateful for it." (Had he forgotten that we PAY for the service??) "We do the best we can out here." "You're the first person who's ever complained." What an attitude!
Strangely, I was told that Madura roadhouse is owned by the same people. Definitely not the same management!

Room Tip: Choose a room at another place!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Mackay, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2012

We only stayed here because we were so exhausted to continue on. On check in we got someone that could not even speak/understand english (not the aussie welcome we expected), made worse when I had to explain what EFTPOS was and how to use it. The rooms smelled, had paper thin walls and the tv didnt work so we asked to change rooms - that was clearly an inconvenience for them and the male attendent made sure we knew that by his manner. We were also lucky enough to have 2 really loud rude kids in the room next door. BEWARE!! they ask for a $5 key deposit and if you leave before they open you have to chase them for it and deal with a really rude female manager whom when you try to discuss it with, just talks over you. BTW she also advises if you want the deposit back you have to send a pre addressed envelope for it to be sent back. What a scam!! Whilst we were there another couple pulled up, had a look and drove off.....Definately worth driving the extra hour to the next town. I was so disgusted I cant even rate it. Thank goodness the rest of the people on the Nullabor were great.

Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

Been to Cocklebiddy Wedgetail Hotel? Share your experiences!