“Real Wellness ...” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Vital & Wellnesshotel zum Kurfuersten

You added Vital & Wellnesshotel zum Kurfuersten to your Saves list
Vital & Wellnesshotel zum Kurfuersten
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Amselweg 1, 54470 Bernkastel-Kues, Rhineland-Palatinate, Germany (Formerly Flair Hotel)   |
Ranked #2 of 26 Hotels in Bernkastel-Kues
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
“Real Wellness ...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

Wellness is the heart of this hotel, built on the green hill overlooking Bernkastel. The architecture and the deco (70's and 80's?) is not exactly my "gusto"(a little bling-bling ..), but are very comfortable. Food is very decent at every moment of the day. The staff is very professional and helpful. Outstanding: the wellness-area! It's very cleverly planned, many small spots where you can enjoy calm and e little privacy. Miles away from this sense of crowd you can experience in some hotels ... and an extra mention to the therapists who really know their job ... which is not always the case in this kind of places ...

Room Tip: the MAXX rooms ...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Wiesbaden, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

This was my 2nd trip to this hotel/wellness resort. Not sure how popular it is outside of Germany - the masseur that I spoke with told me that most of their business comes from Germans, with a handful of Belgians and Luxembourgers (?). I only saw Germans, and very few of the employees spoke English. Of the 3 massages that I had over the 3 day visit only the masseur spoke English, the girls did not. But, I STILL gave this place 4 stars!

I didn't ask my better half exactly why we were staying in the separate building from the hotel proper, but we did on both trips. I recall the first room being much nicer - the room we were at this time was not particularly attractive or roomy - something one might expect at a Best Western: a room with a "Queen" bed (actually 2 beds shoved together - standard procedure for Germany) and desk, closet, TV, adjacent bathroom (full bath). No internet at all, either wifi or wired, even the cell connection was crappy. And, since I didn't go there to use the internet, that didn't affect the score.

Our first massage was shortly after check-in: shoulder & neck massage, and since I suffer from a knot in the back of my neck, the timing couldn't have been better. Afterwards we had dinner, which consisted of our choice of 5 different menu items, changed daily. Not sure what happened on day one, but my order was confused, and I got something other than what I expected. However, it was so delicious that I felt that I got the better deal anyway.

Breakfast was a pretty typical European buffet, although I do need to add that crepes and French toast are not something I see in other buffets.

Next massage was a full body style, although the masseur spent most of the time working my neck and shoulders much more strenuously than the masseuse did the day before. Later we had an hour of aqua fitness, then a pulse and tongue inspection. I discovered that I have a swollen tongue and am now expected to drink DETOX tea and 3 times the amount of water that I currently drink. Apparently I have weak energy...

The next day we checked out, but before doing so we had our feet massaged: perhaps the most pleasant experience of the visit.

Although this is a German establishment a large part of the hotel's philosophy is based on TCM (Traditional Chinese Medicine), and rather than trying to explain that just do a Google search for it (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traditional_Chinese_medicine). Being a western skeptic it all sounds too much like "The Force" to me.

Most of the people here seemed to be coupled up - I only saw one family with a kid about 10 years old, and I'm not sure that kids would get much out of it.

To be fair, the bar/restaurant area does have Wi-Fi as well as a terminal that you may use at the bar. I was able to connect my laptop, drink a beer, and watch my 49ers come from behind and beat the Falcons in the NFC Championship game. Life couldn't have gotten any better.

Room Tip: I would probably recommend taking a room in the hotel itself as that's where everything is locat...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Bodenheim, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2011

As a short getaway we chose this hotel, Could have not been better, The facilities and personnel were top. Bernkastle Kues is a super location. Food was excellent,

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2011

My friend and I went for a nice vacation and this was an absolutely wonderful trip. The price for the accommodations and food was extremely reasonable. The have really great package deals which include all your food and nice massage. The food was actually very excellent. Not only was it abundant but also the quality was extremely high, especially the produce. It was some of the best I have had in Germany. I had several massages and beauty treatments and the massages would receive my top marks. I was a little less impressed with the beauty treatments. I wished to purchase several beauty products and the salon did not have any of them available. The premises were extremely well maintained and very clean. But what really set this experience apart for me was the customer service. Not only was every single staff member that I interacted with polite and friendly, but they went above and beyond to meet my needs. I was especially impressed with the front desk receptionist, Micheal, who went out of his way to help me book everything, get me anything I needed, arranged for a taxi to the train station and many many other services. Additionally, I don't speak extremely great German and many to most of the staff spoke fluent English. I would highly recommend staying at this hotel for anyone who wishes to relax and enjoy a top spa.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
England
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2009

We booked a 3 night package(half board costing 562EUR) with the hotel and were extremely disappointed with the cleanliness, accommodation, food and customer service we received.

Cleanliness – The salad bar was covered in flies (small ones like fruit flies). It was disgusting to see the hordes of flies laying on the cold ,meats and salads. I tried complaining to the manager part way through our stay and the manager refused to speak with us as her English was not very good. We finally spoke with Mr Buckermann on the last morning of our stay. After leaving us waiting over 30 minutes while he ‘took some phone calls’, and when he finally got off the phone, he basically didn’t want to hear about our experience – he told us that fruit flies were ‘normal’ for this time of year and the hotel do not take any measures to reduce the flies. I explained how the flies have the potential to contaminate food with bacteria and other disease producing organisms – he didn’t want to hear about it. I explained that I had been ill and had only eaten at the hotel. He told me to go to the hospital if I suspected I had been food poisoned. As I left, the receptionist gave me an Angel figurine….maybe that is how they hope that guests will remain alive.

Accommodation: I booked directly with the hotel but as it was fully booked, I was given accommodation in the Villa BelVital residence. I expected that this would be on the same grounds as the hotel. Instead it was about a 3 minute walk from the hotel in the middle of the neighbourhood. It was like staying in a residential house – not a hotel. It also meant that you could not go back to your accommodation between treatments if you wanted to remain dressed in your dressing gown.
Due to advance bookings, we agreed to move rooms during our stay. The first night we stayed in an apartment where the bedroom was very small – just enough room to get out of the bed and walk alongside. It was an attic room and the temperature was about 45 degrees in the room. There was no air-conditioning in the room so we asked for a fan, where I was told that the hotel does not deploy fans to the guests. The second room that we moved to was larger but was still extremely hot. We went to the local shop and bought a fan.

Food – Despite the onslaught of flies at the salad bar, the cooked food was tasteless, badly cooked and plain. I expected a Wellness spa to have varied menu or healthy meals – no here! Soups were full of cream or just a flavour of salt and water, veal was served raw and was retuned uneaten by most of the hotel guests, fish stew with fennel was disgusting. Service was very slow – we waited over 90 minutes to get our first course. Breakfasts were OK so long as you avoided the flies. We ate at the hotel twice - I got quite ill after my second night’s dinner at the hotel with vomiting and diarrhoea.

Facilities – We had a Chinese pressure point back massage included as part of our package. We asked for this to be extended to 45minute Sports massage instead. My husband received a 30 minute Chinese massage which when he complained was rebooked to a 30 minute Sports massage. My sports massage was OK. The gym facilities are a joke! It consists of approx 3 machines located in the basement and where the temperature was approx 40 degrees. Unbearably hot! No one could exercise in the 40 degree heat!

I would advise people to avoid this hotel. I have stayed in hundreds of hotels and this has to have been one of the worst. The attitude of the manager was unacceptable and the level of cleanliness was not acceptable for a 2 star much less a 4 star hotel. Shame on this hotel and manager for the service they provide!

Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Anzegem
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2007

We've stayed here for a weekend and the hotel is a good place to relax after a stressy week. The breakfast was very good with a large choice of products and dinner at night did please us also very well. We had a special arrangement with a 4- and a 5-courses menu. The staff was very friendly. We also used the wellness-facilities and these are really good, there are maybe a lot of people in the wellness but that's why everybody is coming for. The nature around is fantastic, you have great walking-routes and MTB-routes. Also a visit to Bernkastel is something you need to do, nice village at the Mosel. The only disadvantage is that we had rooms 300m of the main building, which were very nice but for the wellness it's a little annoying because you have to change in the locker rooms at the wellness and not in your room. So ask for a room in the main building!

• Liked — The wellness-facility
  • Disliked — The rooms 300m from the main building
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Vital & Wellnesshotel zum Kurfuersten? Share your experiences!