“Buy wine here” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Type: Museums
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: The Mosel-Vinothek in Bernkastel-Kues is the biggest vinothek for Moselriesling, world wide. Our wines were organoleptic tested and chose by a panel of experts. You have the golden possibility to taste and buy 150 different sorts of wine from the Moselle region. This unique degustation permits you to experience, compare and enjoy the diversity of the liquid treasuries from Moselle, Saar und Ruwer.You are invited to apply yourself in your personal studies of wine and expand your knowlodge about the wine-growing district Moselle and its winemakers in an unconstrained atmosphere. Our professional staff and some interesting information boards are ready to clarify your questions. Visit our vinothek with its ever-changing offers and some of the best wines from the Moselle.
Bernkastel-Kues, Germany
4 attraction reviews
“Buy wine here”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

Only 15 euro to taste over 160 different wine sorts, best to have a good meal before you go.

London, United Kingdom
8 attraction reviews
“A 'must do' if you like wine!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2011

We unfortunately didn't have enough time to visit the museum and the Vinothek, so can just comment on the wine-tasting. 15 euros is an absolute bargain; well over 100 wines to try, and you get given a list of them all to take down to the cellar so you can mark off the ones you might like to buy afterwards. We visited late afternoon, and then went back the following morning to buy the wines we wanted before we left for Calais. We had no trouble driving in through the gate and parking for ten minutes or so.

They provide lots of information about each wine producer above each wine, but it's only in German. For speakers of other languages it would be helpful if they had a mini description of each, but perhaps this is not possible if they change regularly..? However, one thing they should do is a general guide to German wines for visitors in say two/three other languages. I am familiar with the different types of German wine, and the names for dry, sweet etc, so only having these descriptions in German was OK for me, but I think it would certainly help others who speak no German.

There is a little cafe serving tasty snacks, and so if you plan to really make the most of it, I'd recommend getting there just before lunch, do some tasting, have lunch and then carry on with your wine tasting. This is what we plan to do next time.

We are going back with friends in December, and will certainly visit the museum too.

One other thing - not sure why a previous reviewer said you needed money for the toilets; we didn't.

Visited August 2011
Washington, DC
31 attraction reviews
“You would never believe it”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2011

All the wine you can drink for a very low price. Make sure you bring a bottle of water to drink and some change for the toilet. Don't try to drink all of the wine in one visit. It is impossible.

Visited September 2011
ROI
6 attraction reviews
“Interesting and interactive museum”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2010

About three weeks ago I visited the Multimedia-based wine museum of the Moselle that is located in the charming city of Berkastel-Kues. I really did not know what to expect, but I found a museum that in my opinion is the best place to experience the wine world of the wonderful Moselle Region.
When I am speaking of an "experience" it is really nonexaggerating – fly over the Mosel valley in a flight simulator, test your sense of smell at the Aroma Bar or become a vitner and simulate yourself the different training methods of the vines.
5 Euros gets you into the museum that is situated in a more than 500 year old building. After entering I explored the huge number of historical pieces, like e.g. old machines for grape crushing, weighing and wine making. I learned so much of the wine cultivation of the last centuries, the wine culture, the different types of wine and much more. Even the different types of soil that are characteristic for the Moselle Region were represented. This museum is definitely a visit worth.
And once you are there – go to the Vinotheque in the basement of the building! Entrance is free and it is just amazing to see the huge number of wines that are stored there (over 160 different wines).
But even if I really recommend that museum, there is one little thing that disappointed me a bit – the missing wine tasting. I cannot complain about the entrance fee of 5€, that’s not the point, but I expected at least one wine tasting – and I was really looking forward to it!!! But I was maybe a bit gullible because I thought they sample wines in a wine museum. The only way to come into a wine tasting was to pay 15€ for the Vinotheque (Museum and Vinotheque are splitted). Okay, this is actually a really good price for an all-inclusive wine tasting, but I just wanted to have one to three samples…
Maybe the museum could offer the possibility of a "small wine tasting" with at least one to three wine tastings. In this case I would even disposed to pay a bit more for the entrance.