“Hamm temple.... A must visit for every Hindu in Europe” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 8 Attractions in Hamm
Type: Religious Sites, Cultural
Erlangen, Germany
6 attraction reviews
“Hamm temple.... A must visit for every Hindu in Europe”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

Chitran, a Taxi driver in Erlangen, told me about this Temple in Hamm. Not many of my friends knew about it and when I checked the distance, it was over 400 Kms from Erlangen. All of a sudden on a Saturday morning, I decided to make the journey, started around 11.30 am and reached around 4 PM. Somehow, the Gopuram was not very visible from a distance, but once I reached and went inside, it was a great experience. The cleanliness, the thorough Puja, at 6 PM, the majestic Kamatchi Amman main Sannidhi, all had me simply spellbound. A clear must for anyone in Europe, who is longing to visit a traditional temple here in Germany. The trip was fully worth it.

Visited April 2013

Jena
13 attraction reviews
“Spellbound and Must visit for Authentic Hindu culture and architecture....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Iam a regular temple goer in India and didnt miss that at all in US too. Once here I decided to drive 500 kms to visit this temple. Truth be told we were keeping our expectation low.
But we were mightily surprised....The pictures or videos don't do justice to this heavenly place. This is clearly in top league of temple in terms of architecture and management. Its a huge temple and If you familiar with Tamil temples and traditions you feel right at home. We went there a day early for 7pm Aarti (Deeparadhana) and we were right back for next day for early morning pooja. The polite priest and staff are real treat and ask for price for a pooja and answer always was as per your wish......Then they invited us for a lunch at priests house..... Definitely worth a visit...

Visited April 2013
Ingolstadt, Germany
12 attraction reviews
“Spellbound attraction for Indians in Germany and Europe”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

i was amazed when i saw this temple... we traveled over 450 km to see this .. it was worth every km we traveled to see this... the poojas are performed at three different times we went at 12.00 noon the pooja was followed by anna danam.. really surprised that the temple committee is following these rituals...

Visited September 2012
Dusseldorf
19 attraction reviews
“Serene holy place which showcases Hindu culture and tradition”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2011

I was longing to visit a temple in Germany esp in the NRW region. We were told by some friends about this temple and we decided to visit it ASAP.
The temple is situated on the outskirts of the city of Hamm but still has connectivity with the local transport. It is easy to locate with big enough sign boards on the road side too.
The interiors of the temple look exactly like the temples in south India / srilanka. The priests too are dressed in traditional clothing which gives you an exact feeling of how it is in the typical Hindu temples.
Pooja is done at 8 am, 12 noon and again in the evening.. and on special occasions like the poornima (full moon day) and on hindu festivals, special pooja is done.

The cordial priests also informed us about the free lunch / prasadam which was served there. We dint have to go elsewhere for our lunch that day!

A wonderful place to visit.. by Hindus and others too..
PS: Local Germans are frequenters to this temple!!

Visited August 2011
Essen, Germany
33 attraction reviews
“One of the biggest Hindu temples in Europe”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2011

If you are interested in religious architecture you shouldn´t miss the "Sri Kamadchi Ampal Tempel" at Hamm/Uentrop.
It´s the biggest South Indian style Hindu temple in Middle Europe and it´has been built and established for the Tamils community in Germany.

Although I arrived just when the service began they told me to come in and watch the ceremonies. You have only to pull off your shoes, no further dress code.
It was impressing, as the interior was as well. As Hindus have a vast number of deities there are many little temples (altars) in the hall, dedorated very ornated and colourful. The main God is Sri Kamadchi Ampal and the biggest altar inside is dedicated to her.
The service was very interesting and very different fom my Christian experiences.

After the service they told me to take part in the common meal in a separate house and this was impressing too: I´m not used to eat with my fingers, while sitting on the floor:-)). All in all it was a very exceptional experience and I would recommend it to everybody who is open minded to other religions and customs. And of course interested in religious artworks.
Opening hours are : 8:00am - 2:00pm and 5:00pm - 8:00pm.
Service is at 8:00am, 12:00 and 6:00pm
You can prebook a guided tour or join into a group tour as single person. I have just booked a guided tour next month, this time it wasn´t available.
BTW, the temple is located in the "middle of nowhere" so if you are going there by car you should go to Hamm -Uentrop and ask for the right direction.
If you are going by bus, N°33 is running from the front of the main station every hour. And don´t leave at the stated final stop, it´s two stops later: "Kranstraße".

Visited July 2011