“Planning a return trip” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Gasthof zum Baren

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Meersburg (Bodensee)
Gasthof zum Baren
You added Gasthof zum Baren to your Saves list
Marktplatz 11 | Lake Constance, 88709 Meersburg (Bodensee), Baden-Wurttemberg, Germany   |
Houston, Texas
“Planning a return trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2012

We stayed at this delightful hotel a while back and are planning to return. The owner/chef was VERY helpful. Carried our bags to our room and parked our car for us in the parking garage...and after seeing the narrow streets we were very grateful!

We stayed in one of the turret rooms and it was clean and somewhat whimsical. We sort of felt as if we stepped into a fairy tale. The hotel is quite old and full of history as befitting the town of Meersburg.

We dined in the hotel restaurant for e very enjoyable, reasonably priced and delicious meal accompanied by a local wine recommended by our waiter.

We can't wait to return!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
San Francisco
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

We just loved the quaintness and beauty of Meersburg. We are glad we went out of our way to see the town and spend the night. We probably needed two nights so that we could have taken a boat ride to the island or around the lake.

The Inn is very cute. When we checked in at 2:20 pm, they had already given away the room I hand picked from the website, but we appreciated their response because he put us in an even more special room, one of the turret rooms with the table and chairs. It has a view of the outside square and is a good size. They don't offer wifi, and yes it's a small town, small inn, but we have been pleasantly surprised at other small towns and inns where it's becoming common to offer it.

We didn't realize they had a restaurant so when we saw the owner who checked us in was also cooking, we wanted to stay for dinner. It's popular and we didn't have a reservation. We were fortunate because they were going to turn us away, but a gracious Swiss couple let us share their table. We didn't speak German, they didn't speak English, but somehow we communicated and had fun with them. Definitely recommend having dinner here.

We would return to Meersburg and we would stay here again.

Room Tip: They have pictures of all the rooms on the website.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2012

The Gasthof zum Baeren truly deserves its place as the Number 1 hotel in Meersburg. My wife and I have stayed there twice and are going back again this year. The hotel is utterly charming, and has a magical atmosphere all of its own that will bring you back in time. The staff are extremely helpful and charming also. The food and local wine are top class, and you can eat outdoors in good weather. Five stars all around!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2012

We decided to add 2 nights on the Bodensee to our Bavaria/Black Forest vacation prior to checking in to our week's timeshare exchange in Oberstaufen. We were able to book Gasthof zum Baren via email. Booking was easy, responses were quick, and all questions cheerfully answered. Rates were very reasonable, I thought. We had room #14, which was on the top floor and it was everything we expected from the Tripadvisor reviews, and more.

To walk into the hotel is like walking into history, but updated with modern amenities - like a bathroom - LOL. The room was scrupulously clean and there was absolutely no evidence of mold in the bathroom, or anywhere else in the hotel that I experienced. (I mention this because we later stayed at another historic hotel in Rudesheim that had a mold smell in the dining room and a really bad mold problem in our room.)

The owner and chef took our bags and carried them to our room immediately upon our arrival. Then he parked our car in the hotel's garage for us at a reasonable per day rate, which was very convenient because you don't need a car to see Meersburg.

We had dinner that first night at one of the hotel restaurant's outside tables because the October evening was warm enough to do so. I had read about the famous lamb dish, but it was not being offered when we were there. No matter. The meal was substantial and enjoyable and, afterwards, we strolled Meersburg's streets.

The weekend we were there there was a big wine festival being held in town, so there was considerable street noise on Saturday night from the revelers until the wee hours. I have trouble sleeping under normal conditions and this is exacerbated during travel, and especially from the jet lag the first few nights of a vacation. I also need to sleep with a window open. The hotel is on a main town square, so everything combined to keep me awake until 4 am. Still, I give the hotel 4 out of 5 stars for sleep quality as the bed was very comfortable (I get backaches from beds that are not right), the windows opened, and there were no smells in the room. In retrospect, even that night of relative sleeplessness holds itself out as a memory that makes me smile: as the night wore on, the voices of the drunken revelers began to become less loud and less frequent. At 4 AM, I thought how strange it was that I hadn't heard any glass break all night! Well, less than a minute later, someone broke a bottle or a glass out on the sidewalk. I had to laugh. But it was as if that determined the end of the noise, as I was finally able to drift off to sleep. Until the nearby clock tower tolled at 6 or 7 - LOL. (The clocks don't toll from midnight to 6, if I remember correctly.)

My husband didn't seem to have a problem sleeping through most of the night, although he said in the morning that he had heard the noise at times. (I tried sleeping with the window closed, but I'm too claustrophobic.)

I would definitely book the Gasthof zum Baren again, and I would book room #14 again, but probably not the weekend of the big wine festival. Or, I would take a sleeping pill. It's just too charming to pass up, the price is right, the host makes you feel right at home, and I really love to hear bell towers chime out the hours.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Flims, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2011

As this place isn't listed separately under restaurant, I'd like to take the chance to share my restaurant experience. Stayed at the hotel many years ago and returned to have lunch on our way along Lake Constance as I kept the whole place with its antique rooms in a good memory.

Great choice of dishes and a great selection of wines. Cuisine with local touch and local food, fresh fish etc. Had somewhat the best Rumpsteak ever. The owner is the chef at the same time and was always around, he seems to put a lot of work into the whole place, many of the indegrients and sidedishes are homemade, you can taste the difference. Prices are more than moderate for what you actually get. Very friendly waiter!!

Restaurant is rather small what makes it even more cozy, we rather eat at places like that than in large restaurants. As we reserved last minute (it was a busy Sunday) we sat in the snug, which didn't bother at all.

Will return.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Sacramento, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2011

Charming host (who insisted on carrying bags up the stairs!) and perfect location. Although the weather took the sparkle out of the Bodensee we enjoyed our time in Meersburg. Walking beside the lakefront, touring the castle and enjoying the history of the town.
Parking in a covered garage and the excellent on-site restaurant pluses.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2011

This hotel is utterly charming and delightful. Perfect preserved facade with clean, well kept rooms and pristine white linen. Restaurant was also good (be sure to try the berry dessert, which is a mix of slightly sweetened summer berries with cream/ice cream, or the apple dessert of cinnamon apple filled donuts with icecream - all at incredibly reasonable prices). We stayed in #13 which has the turret siting room - highly recommended. Parking was 6.50euro per night, and was easy to access (garage about 60 m from the hotel entrance) - fitted a Jaguar XF. This is the place to stay at Meersburg without a doubt.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Gasthof zum Baren? Share your experiences!