“Good beer, solid food” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dortmund, Germany
“Good beer, solid food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

On a warm June day we happened to be in Soest. I used to live in Bavaria and miss their beer desperatly, so when i found out that there was a brewery in the city that has all kinds of beer i had to stop there :-). And let me tell you this: i wasn't disappointed!!! Beer is very good and food was yummy too. I'm a chef myself and i'm very picky, but can't say anything bad about food/service. They promptly provided an english menu and spoke decent english. Back to the food: it is definitely not high-end michelin star quisine, don't expect that! But it is typical german food decently prepared! The beer sauce was gorgeous and the portions are really huge! There were 4 of us, we all ordered only main courses and it was more than enough! And for 13€ for a meal including salad and 2 dressings for it to choose from... Make sure to check it out if you are in Soest!!!

London, United Kingdom
“Fabulous Dinner!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

We had a kind of family dinner with my parents here.
It was really fabulous!
We ordered salads as well as main dishes but the portions were so huge that we had to ask to take away the remaining food because we were able to eat only a half of them.
And how delicious it was! Fantastic!
Beer from the local brewery is also very good.
Not me nor my parents speak German. But the waiter was very pleasant, provided an English menu for us and could understand English.

• Visited May 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
UK
“Wow! Quality and Quantity”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

Having stayed with friends in Soest I tried to repay them for their generous hosting by taking them out for a meal. They recommended the Brauhaus Zwiebel and what a wonderful choice. I must preface this review by stating that food plays a big part in my life, both cooking and eating, German cuisine is my least favourite, or it was before dining in this restaurant. None of the smell of sauerkraut pervading the establishment, plenty of jovial atmosphere from the full to capacity dining room, attentive waitresses and waiters, all of whom spoke very good English, made me change my opinion.
You would be well advised to pass on ordering a starter as a substantial salad is brought to the table before the main course. Also I recommend the need for collecting a doggy bag as not a single one of us was able to clear our plates. The food was absolutely excellent as was the beer which is their own brew.
I highly recommend an evening out dining here as I was extremely impressed and found the cost, approximately £15 per person including drinks, unbelievable value. Ensure that you reserve in advance.

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Do not miss out”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

We were recommended this restaurant by our hotel and it lived up to its hype. Downstairs is a small bar where the locals are very friendly and more than willing to practice their English. Upstairs is the restaurant where they all speak good English, you can have English menu's and they generally go out of their way to be helpful. I would certainly eat here again

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Munich, Germany
“Enormous Schnitzel!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

Surprisingly, this place is very tourist-welcoming, the staff speaks perfect English, the variety on the menu is great, the beers are fresh and delicious, and the portions are HUGE! Even the first courses are enormous. The place itself is very authentic, and decorated with my favorite Zwiebln (onions)
Definitely a must if you're in the area.

• Visited March 2013