“A terrific stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Weiden
Maastricht, Limburg, Netherlands
“A terrific stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

Outstanding accomadations, a magnificent staff and a great location. The Klassik will be my ONLY choice for my next stay in Weiden. Terrific breakfast, clean and spacious rooms and a cadre of freindly, helpful people. You can't do any better than the Klassik!

Room Tip: Make your reservation early!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
theigl, Inhaber at Klassik Hotel am Tor, responded to this review, September 21, 2013
Dear Jeffrey

thank you for your great review!

Best regards

Thomas Heigl
Owner
with family and all employees

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel three times in the last year for a total of about 40 days. My boyfriend is in the military and Weiden is about 30 minutes away from base so it's convenient for him to go back and forth.

We stayed in January 2012, June 2012 and October 2012.

The staff is great, very helpful and most speak enough English to hold a conversation and get recommendations. The location is great, it opens to the City Center and there is a park about a 2 minute walk away. The breakfast is a typical European breakfast, I will say the jelly/jam they serve is awesome. There is 1 English TV station which is nice. The hotel and all 3 rooms i've stayed in have been very clean. As far as European beds go these are comfortable. There is no restaurant but there are several just outside their door. Zoe's is our favorite and there is also an Italian restaurant about 3 doors down that has great pizza for takeout. The hotel has a wifi terminal in the reception/bar area that is free or they can provide you with information for paid wifi through T-Mobile. I prefer to pay and then I can use it throughout my travels at the T-Mobile hotspots which are pretty common in Germany. The train station is a 10-15 minute walk from the hotel and I have taken countless day trips as Weiden seems to be about 1-2 hours away from many amazing towns. Although I have explored every inch of Weiden and love the town too so there is plenty to see without leaving the town.

They used to have a few parking spots right outside the hotel but with the construction going on those have been removed and you must use the parking garage across the street which is a 1-2 minute walk away.

We have stayed in the basic double and the suite rooms. The suite is nice as it has a sitting area so for my longer stays I prefer that one. The suite we stayed in had a smaller bathroom than the basic room but both were reasonable size for European standards.

There is no air conditioning and my stay during the end of June beginning of August was incredibly hot. The hotel provided a fan but it was no match for the humidity and high temperatures.

They have construction going on until sometime in 2013. When they tell you there might be noises, they aren't kidding. It's loud, it starts early and it's right outside the window. My stays pre-construction were quiet so once it's complete I assume it will be back to being quiet.

European hotels are different than American hotels. I'm sort of a snob about where I stay and I love the Klassik. The only surprises I have come across there have been nothing but pleasant.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Kathie,

thank you for your great review!

We, the Heigl Family and all the staff are working hard to ensure that every guests stay will be as comfortable as possible. It is always great to read that we are doing right!

Best regards

Thomas Heigl
Owner
with family and all employees
Malvern
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

My husband and I were booked into this lovely establishment by our business colleagues who live on the outskirts of this beautiful, small town. Although we, unfortunately, had only one day and night to stay in Weiden, we were enchanted with our accommodations and with the environs of the town. Our room at the Klassik overlooked the main town square with a view to the attractive square and the tower clock and medieval church. We just fell in love with the entire place. We so enjoyed speaking with the lovely Michaela, the receptionist at the Klassik who was so fluent in English, and we were grateful because we are so not fluent in German. The establishment was very clean and efficient. The breakfast room is wonderful, with a very generous buffet, everything that you could want on the menu. We highly recommend this establishment when in Weiden or this area of Germany.

Room Tip: Ask for the rooms over the historic town square.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Spring Grove, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

My husband and I have visited Weiden several times and always said we wanted to stay at the Klassik Hotel am Tor. Recently we finally had the chance and we stayed for 5 nights. The location was superb. I thoroughly enjoyed exploring the old town center and the beautiful park right outside the old wall. The room was modern, roomy and kept spotlessly clean.

Breakfast is served but there is no restaurant in the hotel. However, right outside the hotel doors there are numerous places for meals.

The only problem we experienced was our ground floor room looked into an area of hotel renovation. Starting at 8 am the noise was horrendous and any chance of "sleeping in" for a bit was ruined. Still, the hotel was a great place to stay and will gladly return someday.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Bow, NH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

A charming hotel partly incorporated into an old city wall. We paid a little more for a better room on the 2nd floor with a nice window overlooking the pedestrianized altstadt, which has a number of restaurants, sweet shops and cafes with outdoor seating. The hotel has no restaurant but there is a tiny, attractive bar and outdoor tables. Our room was exceedingly comfortable and accessible with both stairs and an elevator. There is a charming breakfast room with a variety of offerings, and there is some parking. We arrived at a good time and were able to park immediately outside the front door. The people behind the desk were quite friendly and helpful.

In all our trips to Bavaria this past fall my husband, who speaks some German, called to make arrangements and to get details of the accomodations, since in these older frequently updated hotels they can vary quite a bit. Most places do have people who speak English.

It's a lovely old city center with beautiful buildings, a very pleasant place to spend a day or two relaxing..

Room Tip: If possible, call the hotel and discuss various rooms to find what might best suit you.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Ramstein-Miesenbach, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2012

I stayed in a "single" room for one night in January. The room was a bit small for those planning on staying more that one-two nights...for me it was fine. The hotel is in the heart of the town, and the back door opens right up to the town square. There are tons of shops and restaruants all around the hotel. The breakfast was the typical European/German buffett style breakfast--very good!

The room itself was plain but clean! I was in room 50. Water pressure was good and the room was tidy. The best part of the hotel was how close it was to the town center. Price was very reasonable.

Room Tip: VERY close to the heart of the town.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Alexandria VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2011

Built right into the old Tor and wall, this hotel was a joy. I suspect every room is as unusual as ours - fit into the wall with one side looking out on to the platz and the other to the other side of town. The suite had a sitting room on one level (along with the bath) and the bedroom was up a "circular" stairway in the loft. Once you got used to the sloping roof in the bedroom every thing was great. Breakfast in hotel was good. There is a small bar and sitting area out on the platz. Parking was available in front or in the parking garage across the street. Enjoyed being able to stroll the market area (car free during the day) and pick a place to eat or drink and then stroll back to the hotel.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Klassik Hotel am Tor? Share your experiences!