“Nice but not a four star hotel!” 3 of 5 stars

Alpenhotel Tiefenbach
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Falkenstrasse 15, 87561 Oberstdorf, Bavaria, Germany   |
Ranked #19 of 46 hotels in Oberstdorf
Beijing, China
“Nice but not a four star hotel!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

My husband surprised me with a romantic weekend away for our wedding anniversary. Upon arrival, we were told to wait, while the lady at reception ran up the the first floor to deliver what seemed like a message (piece of paper) so, standing in the lobby of the hotel for 10 minutes with no one in sight. The decorations of the rooms are "quaint" / traditional but the room was nice and clean and comfortable - and the view is exceptional! The food is amazing and the service in the restaurant extremely friendly! However - my husband had to pay 30% when he booked, this was NOT calculated on our account when we checked out. We were told that the people from accounting will only be back during the week and then they will have to sort it out, and reimburse us. My husband also booked a horse-drawn carriage ride for us. We were told that it could only be done on the Sunday morning at 11:00 which we then accepted and received a confirmation from the hotel for this upon arrival, however, when nothing arrived at 20 past eleven, we started asking questions. They phoned and was told that it would take ANOTHER hour. We waited in the lobby since we had already checked out by then. Not even once were we offered coffee or tea. As it turned out, the hotel never confirmed with the owner of the horses, which I found annoying. There definitely seems to be a lack in their reception / admin staff. The wellness area is really nice, although saunas are set to a timer and only start heating 15:00 in the afternoon, so if you want to make use of the lovely wellness area - you have to wait until the afternoon and then it gets crowded which I did not appreciate. We booked couples massages. We have done this before where there are two message tables in one room and we could at least be in the same room while enjoying a relaxing message, however, here we were whisked away each to a separate room on opposite sides of the building. The lady that did my massage was friendly and professional, however, my husband complained that his was nothing more than smearing oil over his back and tucking him in a blanket to rest for a while. You have to take your own slippers / flip flops. Even though we booked the rose petal bath and messages for the Saturday we were not offered slippers, and on the Sunday we were told that they are not being handed out, you may however ASK for a pair. I understand that they cannot be provided to all the guests, but I feel for those who pay the extra to enjoy the spa treatments, these should be provided for. When we arrived back after our ride in the pouring rain, we were literally frozen to the bone. My husband asked If we could at least use the spa to warm up and take a shower before we head home, and this was allowed which we really appreciate. But no apology was offered for their poor service, which I find sad. So......if you want a comfortable place to stay with a good meal and excellent view this would be a great place, BUT - if little things are important to you or good service or if you are planning a romantic weekend - you might want to reconsider. I would love to make some recommendations to these people and teach the staff a view tricks - this place REALLY has the potential to be amazing and a true four star hotel!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

46 people have reviewed this hotel

Bad Fallingbostel, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2011

I can't praise the hotel enough. We spent three nights here and although we know Oberstdorf well, we had not stayed here before - however, we will in future. The spa and pool is idyllic and the rooms/appt rooms were lovely, clean, cosy and very well equipped.
The staff couldn't have been more helpful and accommodating and always had a smile.
We have stayed in many spa hotels in the past but the setting, rooms, lounge area with open fire certainly for us beat them all. We booked a treatment from the very long list of things available and it did not disappoint as well as being very good value.
The hotel offered a 5 course set menu each night which we had on one night. As a vegetarian it catered for that as well as a very good child's menu. The buffet breakfast was very extensive and catered for every palate.
All in all a fantastic hotel that went above a beyond our expectations. Thank you.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Copenhagen, Denmark
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

We stayed for 2 weeks while my daughter was at a special ice skating camp in town. The hotel was quiet, and our balcony had beautiful views of the mountain scenary. Breakfast was amazing (great pastries, a musli bar and always a surprise like waffles) and the waitresses were very sweet, even offered to make my daughter a lunch pack for the rink. The rooms were large and spacious, german country style. The pool facilities were well kept and nicely decorated. Strange that we had a kítchenette that was disconnected, I think it would have been nice to be able to have both (possibility to cook and also eat at the hotel) This was a good 4 star.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Dorsten
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2010

I visited the Alpenhotel with my colleagues for a two-day meeting. There is a lot of things which can be said in favour of this establishment.
The double rooms I encountered should actually be called Suites or apartments. I could easily imagine to bring the wife and kids here plus another guest - into one room, and it would still be spacious. Everything seems to be high value and very tasteful. However, I heard some of my colleagues complain about rather small and old-fashioned single rooms. Serves them well, those divas who want to sleep alone!

The swimming pool was very nice, really comfortably warm and with a breathtaking panorama of the snowy Alps. I went down there every morning despite not hitting the sheets before hours past midnight...I didn't use the wellness offerings but only heard good things about it from the co-workers who did so.

The breakfast was excellent. I always enjoy hotels where I find tasty things I didn't encounter before in a breakfast-menu. This time it was homemade banana-milk. Yummy!
The restaurant is OK - but I would recommend it only with a grain of salt. It apparently tries to be high-class without coming close to it. Ambition is not a bad thing, but my feeling is that they should stick to hearty Bavarian food, I am quite sure that would be more satisfying.

What is more to say? The idea to lump three houses together as a hotel and connecting them via (certainly not dungeon-like) tunnels is ingenious and I liked that very much.

The staff was helpful and very friendly. Especially the barkeeper who endured us until way past his usual workdays/nights.

The only minus was location. They had a bus for outings, but if I am not mistaken no regular ski-bus as in other hotels. So you have to rely on a car. Also, if you wish to do some shopping or clubbing, you are lost without a taxi or car. But maybe I just missed some things.

WIFI was there and for free (big plus!), but you don't get connection in all parts of the hotel. From my room, it was close to impossible to check emails.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2006

Its a real nice four star hotel consisting of three buildings which are coneccted via an underground tunnel (which is nice during the ski season, I think). The Hotel is nicely located in a small village about 5km from Oberstdorf. Since I was on an hiking trip, I liked the location, since a lot of hiking routes start just nearby. After my trips I enjoyed the 3 different saunas a lot. The sauna area is really nice. On the other hand, the pool is smaller than it looks on the website. Same goes for the outdoor pool which is not directly connected to the indoor one.
The Restaurant is nicely decorated and the food was good but without one exception not excellent. Service was trying its best but was humbling from time to time (warm red wine, warm table water - you´d better stick to the bavarian beer instead).
Our room was huge and really really nice. It was called a standard room, but was more like an appartement, which we really enjoyed. I would not hesistate to stay there again on my next hiking trip since it is a nice bavarian 4-star hotel. But just don´t expect the Ritz and you´ll be fine...

• Liked — The breakfast was really nice
  • Disliked — Humbling service (warm wine, warm table water etc.)
  • Tips/Secrets — Ask for a "Guest Card". It´s free and gives you some discount on the local attractions
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Alpenhotel Tiefenbach? Share your experiences!