“Excellent Location – Decreasing Standards Of The Hotel” 3 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Villa Geyerswoerth Hotel to your Saves list
Villa Geyerswoerth Hotel
Villa Geyerswoerth Hotel
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Geyerswoerthstrasse 15-21A, 90647 Bamberg, Bavaria, Germany   |
Ranked #6 of 40 hotels in Bamberg
Cologne, Germany
“Excellent Location – Decreasing Standards Of The Hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

Location & Hotel & Restaurant
This nicely designed hotel is located at the edge of the old city centre which is great. I do have doubts, however, whether this hotel is still meeting the high standards of a 4-star hotel in comparison to other well-designed 4-star hotels (for example, lack of cleanliness, inattentive hotel stuff etc.). I have not eaten at the hotel restaurant but it is known as one of the best restaurants in Bamberg. It was my second stay at this hotel and I have to admit that I was a bit surprised about the decreasing standard.

Room
The standard of my rather small single deluxe room did not meet the high standards of a 4-star hotel concerning its small size and lack of luxurious facilities. In addition, the room should have been renovated for the following reasons: The walls had several cracks and dents, some cracks had been re-painted but the paint did not match the rest of the wall colour and exposed the cracks even more. However, the room had some nice things as well: An air condition system, flat screen TV, and some art works. My room had no balcony but the view was nice.

Bathroom
The bathroom was rather small but the standard of the bathroom was all in all OK. The size of the shower was still good but it was not really big in comparison to other 4-star hotels. This is a real setback since I like to enjoy a nice hotel bathroom.

Cleanliness
The room was not cleaned properly! I have never seen so many spiders and spider-webs in a hotel room. The gaps between the radiator tubes in the bathroom were full of dust and had also some spider-webs. I am really surprised and irritated about the lack of cleanliness, which is certainly not meeting the high standards of a 4-star hotel. Furthermore, the bed had no blanket so that the sheet and the pillows were exposed. I think a 4-star hotel should have a blanket for their beds.

Hotel Staff
I think that some members of the hotel stuff could be more attentive and friendly; I have the feeling that they are not really devoted to their work. One might even say that they do their job only according to directions but fail to go beyond it (for example, the person at the desk did not ask how my stay was; she also did not apologize when I mentioned that I was irritated about the lack of cleanliness of the room etc.).

Breakfast & Lunch & Dinner area
The breakfast & lunch & dinner area is nice and you can either sit inside or outside. I had no breakfast - but from what I have seen – one might say that the standard of the breakfast was meeting the high standards of a 4-star hotel. Even though it seems too pricy (22 €) for what is provided at the breakfest.

Internet & Parking
You do not have to pay extra for the Internet which is great (even though I had some problems to get online and I eventually used my USB stick). The hotel has a reasonably priced subterranean garage (12 €) and outdoor parking. The subterranean garage felt smaller than it actually was and it was also no problem to find a still properly sized spot for my car. Attention: One must contact the reception by ringing the bell before you drive into the subterranean garage otherwise the door will not open.

Special Features
The hotel has two nice patio areas - the restaurant area & breakfast/coffee/drinks area. The ‘breakfast area’ offers a nice view on a small river where one could also enjoy a pot of coffee & cake in the afternoon or a drink in the evening. It looks really inviting. Both patio areas have sunshades if the sun is too hot during the day - certainly two nice places to hang out and relax.

Spa
The small but nice spa area is designed in a Mediterranean style and has a small gym area, a sauna, a changing room, and a nice but small place to lie with 6 (rather cheap!) couches (which do not meet the high standards of the otherwise quite nice spa area and should be replaced). The hotel also offers well-priced massages and other beauty applications.

Price-Quality Ratio
This hotel is (still) reasonably priced but the standard of my single deluxe room was certainly not meeting the high standards of a 4-star hotel.

Final Conclusions
I really have mixed feelings about my second stay at this hotel since I have seen both some good but also quite a few bad things. According to my humble view, the hotel is all in all reasonably priced, it has a small but inviting entrance hall including a small bar, the single deluxe room was a real breakdown and I cannot recommend this room unless it has been renovated and properly cleaned (Nr. 209). The lack of cleanliness of my room is definitely an issue. However, the location of the hotel is excellent, the two small patio areas are great, but the hotel stuff – at least most people I dealt with – could be more attentive and friendly (the hotel business is a service business!). If you ask me, I probably, will not come back.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo

45 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Northants, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

We enjoyed our 2 night stay at this comfortable and elegant hotel on the centre of Bamberg. Most things you will want to see are within walking distance. Our room was very spacious, clean and comfortable as were all public areas. The hotel has beautiful grounds to the front and a nice terrace at the back, staff were very formal.
It is very expensive though compared to other accommodation in Bamberg especially as breakfast is not included and was a staggering 15euro each. We did not eat an evening meal in the hotel but the menu looked good with reasonable prices.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2011

The hotel is very nice, large room, great bathrooms. The location is great - near all the main attractions in the city and right near the Information Center. Bamberg is a must see destination while in Germany - many tourist overlook it for the bigger, well known cities. Bamberg is absolutely charming. Plan to spend one night in town to soak up all the charm! FYI - stores are closed on Sunday.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Kaiserslautern, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2011

The hotel itself is great! Very well kept with attention to detail. Our room was spotless and we enjoyed our bathrobes and slippers. Bed was very comfortable and I appreciated the extra pillow available in the room.
The staff was very stiff and seemed to look down upon us (maybe because we were in jeans?). There was a birthday party being held that night and those guests looked at us as well as if we weren't good enough to be there. I loved the room and decor, but probably would not stay here again due to not being treated as an equal.
Location is good; short walking distance to the old town with numerous restaurants and cafes. Only 1 block from the Visitor's Center too! Underground parking is available for 12 Euro/night.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Tampere, Finland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

Beautifully located and tastefully decorated hotel in Bamberg. If you do not feel like eating your dinner at the hotel, there's an old pub Brüdermühle a stone's throw away. Short walk to old town and other sights. Good parking, good value for money.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Cirencester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2010

Have stayed here a few times. Each time the Rooms, Service and Food have been great. The staff are always helpful. We have eaten at the hotel, and each time its been very good The Hotel also booked a restaurant for us which was close by and had good food. Good parking but its not free. Bamburg is a good place to stay. Lots to see.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2009

We only stayed here for one night, but thoroughly enjoyed it. We were able to check in early and had a lovely room. Very comfortable and large for European standards. It was quiet and impeccably clean. It is in a perfect location, quiet, but close to everything. We did not eat in the restaurant, however when we got back after dinner the restaurant was already closed but we were hoping to have after-dinner drink and they kindly poured us a complimentary apertif at the small bar when you walk into the lobby. Service was very professional, helpful and friendly, and everyone spoke some measure of English, but seemed to appreciate our broken German! The hotel and our room were beautiful with a nice and reasonable mini-bar in room. We will definitely stay here again when we return to Bamberg, which we will because we loved it!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Villa Geyerswoerth Hotel? Share your experiences!