“Couldn't find any fault” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel Graupner
Lange Strasse 5, 96047 Bamberg, Bavaria, Germany   |
Ranked #40 of 40 Hotels in Bamberg
Helsinki, Finland
“Couldn't find any fault”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2005

Visited the hotel on the last weekend of January. Maybe I was in a totally different place than a couple of previous reviewers, but can't find any fault with the place. For 48 euros p.n. (through hotel.de) I got a clean and spacious room (third floor), with tv, ensuite (enough warm water as well) and a working heating system. The breakfast was good and the staff friendly and welcoming. Location is also quite good between ZOB and Altstadt. If I can't get a room at the Spezial, this is one of the o.k. alternatives.

• Stayed January 2005

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Vancouver, B. C. Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2004

We spent three weeks in Germany on holidays and had a wonderful holiday with the exception of our stay in this hotel. Our enjoyment of Bamberg was ruined as the owner, who happened to be at reception on our arrival, tried to upcharge us upon arrival despite a written contract with a price quote given by the hotel by e-mail and even confirmed by us with a second e-mail prior to arrival. The disagreement was that even though the hotel was aware that our family consisted of two adults and one child, they wanted to charge us an extra charge for the child's breakfast. Then the owner told us that if we didn't pay the extra fees, we would only receive one bed - our room which was a junior suite for three, would be changed to a room with only one bed, and all three of us would have to sleep in one bed. When we asked to stay in the room we had reserved, the owner told us we would have to make up the pullout sofa ourselves for the child but the child still could not have the breakfast which was supposed to be included. The free parking in the guest house turned out to involve a drive to another building over one kilometer away which was impractical so we ended up parking in a public parkgarage for extra fees. Therefore, our child was not allowed to eat the breakfast provided. We did not agree to the upcharge as it was unfair. This hotel did not live up to their written email quote and their free parking doesn't state that this parking is an unreasonable distance across to the other end of the city. As a result of our treatment the enjoyment of our stay was ruined. I would emphatically not recommend this hotel when you visit Bamberg. This was our only incident of upcharging in our entire holiday.

A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2004

A friend and I stayed at Hotel Graupner in May and were totally disgusted.

When we entered the room the first day we noticed there were toe nail clippings as well as clumps of hair on the carpet. When a man at the front desk was approached his comment was "that's what you get in a backpacker room".
He said he would have someone come and vacuum but that person never appeared in the length of time we were there - three nights.
We were in a room that the shower was in the hall. The shower door did not lock so my friend and I had to stand guard while the other one showered.

I think what bothered me the most was the comment made by the front desk. When I asked about it the following day saying the room hadn't been vacuumed the comment was the same again but this time with an offer to upgrade the room but of course we would need to pay the extra cost.

I do a lot of traveling and on this last trip stayed at 15 hotels and this was the worse experience I have encountered. Actually I want to return to Bamberg in 2005 but Hotel Graupner will not be where I will stay.

I also sent this note to the hotel when I got back with no response.

Bellingham, WA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2003

We have visited the town of Bamberg twice and each time we stayed at the Hotel-Garni Graupner. Peter Graupner, the owner, speaks excellent English and always makes you feel comfortable and welcome.

The main hotel is clean, comfortable and centrally located in the heart of the city. The rooms are quaint, clean and roomy.

Be warned that there is an overvlow hotel (the "Guest House") which is located 2 miles away in a residential neighborhood.

We have stayed at both. The charm of the Guest House is that it is on a quiet street with TWO excellent breweries with beer gardens within 2 short blocks and a nice little gasthaus right across the street that serves good food and drink. Here there are NO tourists. The people you meet are all "locals". It helps to speak the language.

The charm of the main hotel is that you are steps away from the river and its famous bridges and the heart of town and all its attractions.

Room prices are very reasonable, breakfasts are ample, and service is good. There are no elevators, so be prepared to lug your suitcase upstairs.

My recommendation is a definite STAY! This is a good comfortable hotel run by people who make you feel welcome and make you want to come back.

• Stayed July 2003

Been to Hotel Graupner? Share your experiences!