“Budget Hotel but better than most others” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ibis Bamberg Altstadt

Save Saved
You added Ibis Bamberg Altstadt to your Saves list
Ibis Bamberg Altstadt
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Navigationssystem: Schillerplatz 2 | Theatergassen 10, 96047 Bamberg, Bavaria, Germany   |
Special Offer
Package Deal
Ranked #8 of 40 Hotels in Bamberg
Shenzhen
“Budget Hotel but better than most others”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

I took a group of 15 people to Bamberg and we stayed here for one night. The rooms are very clean, small but comfortable. Everything is a bit minimalistic and the bathrooms are really tiny but that's what IBIS is known for. It's all you need. Clean. Comfortable bed and a good breakfast before you head out. If you prepfer a larger breakfast save the 10n Euros and head to the cafe next door..
They had several parking lots available in the garage and the location is perfect.
You can walk right over to all the sights in Bamberg such as the "Rathaus" and old streets, little Venice etc. I love this city and would stay at this Hotel again anytime.

Room Tip: All rooms are quiet since it's located in a tiny side-street.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Treviso, Italy
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

I have spent one night here with a friend booking from internet.

At first it was disapponting that instead of only booking, after I gave the number of my credit card I had already paid the room even before arriving in Bamberg.

Secondarly when you arrive the hotel is in a place where it is difficult to park and your instinct makes you put the car into the garage of the hotel.
But it costs 12 EUROS X DAY and you have to pay at once, without doing it when you go away!!

DON´T PARK YOUR CAR INTO THE CAR PARK OF THE HOTEL, IT IS VERY EXPENSIVE!!!

The bathroom is very SMALL and it is difficult to move inside the shower.
When you sit on the toilet your knees almost hit the wall!!

The breakfast is not included.
We didn´t opt for it because we where disappointed because of the car park and we decided not to pay for a second extra.
BUT IT IS FULL OF BARS AND CAFES NEARBY WHERE YOU CAN HAVE QUICK AND CHEAP BREAKFASTS.

The WIRELESS CONNECTION didn´t work well, and notwithstanding the friendly and helpful employee at the reception we were not able to use the free connection.
IN ANY CASE YOU HAVE TO PAY (AND SUBSCRIBE AT A ON LINE QUESTIONARY PREPARED BY IBIS) IF YOU WANT TO CONNECT INSIDE YOUR BEDROOM.

We think that everything in the hotel is made to make the IBIS spend the least they can, but the customer pays like if your were in a great hotel, and also all the extras are too expensive.
The internet advertisement sometimes don´t tell you clearly that you will spend more than you expected.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

Generic chain hotel, poor service, and adequate breakfast. Our bathroom had a pretty bad smell when we arrived (the drains perhaps), when I mentioned it at the front desk I was handed a spray bottle for bad odours... not very impressive. I also had to go down and collect an iron and ironing board myself although this was typical of my hotel experience in Germany. Beds were comfortable although we had two singles which had been pushed together rather than a double and the pillows were good. Also has A/C.

Room Tip: Low floors probably best since the elevator is slow.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012

Ibis Hotels you can find in every city in Germany and Europe, I have been to one in Munich, Essen and Bremen. The rooms are the same size with the same " Ikea type Furniture ". which you really can not call Furniture. There are 2 10" open shelfs for your things and below to hang your cloths, a large desk with flat TV. Everything is functional and clean, the Bath Room is a mere 2 square yards. Breakfast costs 10 Euros and parking 12 in their garage. Then there are some old type of hotels, actually Gasthauses, which might have some charm but might not have an Elevador

Bamberg is a beautiful and interesting city which was not bombed during the war, it is much nicer than Heidelberg with friendlier people at halve the price and hardly any foreign Tourists. They have many small Breweries in the old Gasthauses, one is called " Schlenkerla " who brew a Rauchbier, Smoke Beer, there are : Bamberger Wuerschtle " and a specialty they call 'Schaueferle", roast pork from the shoulder.
A walking city tour of 2 hours costs only 8 Euros and a boat ride on the river the same which I would not recommend since most part is in the commercial port and the beautiful houses along the river you can see even better from the other side.

Room Tip: All rooms are same and are not on a noisy street
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Brno, Czech Republic
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

The room was very small compare to price. Window there was too small no. No daily light inside. It was very dark room. Hotel was very noisy during the night. I wouldn’t recommend it.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
, Leiter Öffentlichkeitsarbeit at Ibis Bamberg Altstadt, responded to this review, June 29, 2012
Dear Ibis-Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Ibis Bamberg am Schillerplatz. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

Ramona Hummel
Vista, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2012

First let me say that this hotel was booked for us, by someone else, and also very last minute. I believe it was the only place available in Bamberg.
My husband, 2 daughters (12 & 14), and I were traveling together, and we had to make a last-minute trip to Bamberg for my husband's business portion of the trip. Bamberg is a beautiful city with some great beer, so we were happy to go.
The hotel is right in the middle of the city, which was great, but noisy. While they had two rooms available for our family of four, the rooms were not adjoining. This is a huge issue for me. The rooms were very simple, but clean, and very small. The wifi in the room is not free, and neither is the sub-par breakfast. In fact, the breakfast was expensive when comparing it to the huge spreads we had at other hotels.
I think, for a single person spending one night in the city, this is an acceptable place, but I would not stay here again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Oxford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2012

I stayed with my husband for only one night, the receptionist spoke in English to us (finally!!! it is really hard to find somebody in Bamberg that speaks English or at least makes the effort) a friendly receptionist, check in and check out fast and efficient, the room small but clean and perfect for one night, the only thing is that I requested a king size bed and got two single mattresses put together, didn't mind much however don't know why I had the option to choose that type of bed if in reality I am going to get something different.
All in all, we liked it and close to the city centre, I do recommend it.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Ibis Bamberg Altstadt? Share your experiences!