“Super German food!” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #5 of 181 Restaurants in Bamberg
Cuisines: German
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Description: Authentic atmosphere-feel, sit with the locals and enjoy really good German food -"get to the point" waitresses. Trout was excellent, juicy pork meat with sides of sauerkraut & boiled potatos, the apple dessert (local speciality) was fantastic - crispy baked slices - YUM. Very affordable for the 4 of us, 3 course dinner with a round of smoked beer & local white wine with main course @ Euro 22/pp.
Ramstein-Miesenbach, Germany
“Super German food!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

What a wonderful find. Kachelofen is a tiny local restaurant (maybe 10 community tables) that was packed last Saturday when we visited. We were lucky enough to get a shared table about 15 minutes after our arrival. The hearty and huge meals were excellent albeit simply too much food. My wife had the haxen and I had a steak with roasted onions. Both were excellent and huge. The also had a nice bier selection (I had a keller bier as I don't care for Bamberg's liquid proscutto [their rachen bier]). Service was efficient and pretty fast considering the restaurant was absolutely packed. This is a definite don't miss restaurant.

• Visited November 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Berlin, Germany
“Very tasty”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

We stopped here for lunch while in Bamberg and were not disappointed. The service was very fast and friendly, and we both sampled Rauchbier and Franconian specialties. The food was good, authentic, and very reasonably priced. The portions were generous and fortified us for the next few hours of sightseeing. It was a very cozy place to escape the cold for a while.

• Visited November 2012
Canton, Ohio
“Favorite of Bamberg, Make Reservation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

This place was my favorite restaurant in Bamberg. The food was classic Austrian cuisine, and they also served seasonal favorites. I had some farmer's sausages, onion cake, and sturm (new, sweet wine served only in autumn). Everything was delicious, and my friend was also pleased with all of his food.

The waiter was very nice. We visited when it was cold outside, but we sat outside because the inside was all booked by reservations. The inside of the restaurant looked so warm, comfortable, and welcoming, but the outside was really pleasant and beautiful and quaint feeling as well. It's the perfect place for a cozy dinner.

I think if I lived in this town, I would come weekly. The food was a great value too.

• Visited October 2012
Edmonton, Canada
“cannot go wrong!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

I am German and live in Kanada. Took my Canadian friends for a typical Franconian meal with Schauefele, Knoedel, Rauchbier and Schnapps.
They loved it. Great food and wonderful service!

• Visited October 2012
Bamberg, Germany
“Love this Place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

We have eaten here several times and it never disappoints! When it's in season the spargel soup is amazing, but just about anything off the menu is delicious. I mean a schnitzel is a schnitzel, but this is the best schnitzel I've had. You cannot ask for a better setting as it's located right in the hubub to there are plenty of opportunities for people watching and enjoying sometime with your friends and fellow table mates! You will certainly be here long enough to hear the bells from the dom on the hour and that is also fantastic.

In the summer be sure to eat outside. There is a very small space inside with a couple of tables, but it really does get uncomfortably warm. The staff always have smiles on their faces and help to make it a nice time for you.

• Visited September 2012