“great location” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 10 Bamberg B&B and Inns
Gloucester, United Kingdom
“great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

Stayed here for 9 nights in June to visit our son who was studying at the University in Bamberg for his year abroad. The rooms/suites were very comfortable, so were the beds. The bathrooms were spotless. The location was fantastic for the shops, cafes and restaurants/pubs, only a short walk away, lots of historical places to visit too. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The fridge was handy for cold water, beer and fruit juices for 1 euro each. The breakfast had everything you could think of to eat, different fruit bowl every day, cereals, toast with an assortment of bread and rolls, ham, cheese, boiled eggs, jams, nutella, no marmite though, as you would expect, luckily I took my own. the only downside was when it was very hot, there was no air conditioning or fans to cool the rooms and the sunny side rooms would not cool down. We bought our own fan for 15 euros.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

44 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
East Lansing, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

On a recent two week trip through Germany we stopped here for one night and loved it. Thankfully, we had reserved the Suite which lived up to expectations. The room is huge (sitting area with a sleeping loft) with exposed beams and a big chain hand crank in the center of the room. The sitting room furniture is a bit tired, which is the reason I did not rank this hotel as "Excellent". Beds were terrific and we slept very well.
Breakfast was huge and varied but crowded. If you arrive a bit late they replenish everything so perhaps not arriving with everyone else in the hotel would be smartest.
Parking is an issue. The hotel appears to have only two place (8 Euro each per night) and we were lucky to find a space in a small outdoor lot nearby (8 Euro). There is a larger parking garage nearby but it is double that price.
Recommended.

Room Tip: Get the suite
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

This is was perfect hotel for our stay in Bamberg. Bamberg is not Munich, Frankfurt, or Hamburg, and that's a good thing. But don't expect giant, luxurious American style hotels like you would in those cities. We read the reviews on Molitor - the good and the bad - decided that it was exactly what we needed. It is quaint, it is local, it is very German / European. It is also exactly as described.

It is true that they do not have 24-7 staff, but this is not a security issue as described. You have a key and as far as I can see, they weren't handing out free copies on the street. Plus, your room has a lock especially for you so no worries about anyone breaking into the room. Bamberg is safe. Relax and enjoy. I also read that the breakfast was not American. Well...you're not in America. Get over it. Other also right that it isn't modernized. See my note above about being in Bamberg. Don't expect The W.

The hotel is close to EVERYTHING including Klosterbrau, a rather amazing little brewery (with great food). You are literally in the heart of it all. They also offer free WiFi and by being a registered guest, you have free access to hotspots all over town. A nice option. And the fridge in the hall has a great assortment of beer for 1 euro.

The one con that does ring true is the beds aren't exactly the most comfortable in the world. But, if you manage enough beer, then the beds aren't much of an issue. I give this hotel a 5.

Room Tip: Vist Klosterbrau across the street for great beer and food. Seriously, you have to go.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Albury, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2012

I stayed here 3 nights with my mother. Very close to all the attractions and if you are a history buff then Bamberg is the place to go. The hotel is modest and doesnt have those litle extras that the larger hotels have. But it does offer great value for money with comfortable beds (doonas and fluffy pillows), great continental breakfast (boiled eggs, meats, cheeses, yoghurt, fruitsalad, variety of breads), and free WiFi. It is also on the river Regnitz and my room had river views. The day I arrived it was Fathers/Mens day celebrations and groups of men enjoying the day with a few beers. I was worried about the noise but found my double windows great in blocking most of the noise. There is a pub opposite and noise can echo in the small lane. I found the street quiet late at night, but I always sleep with earplugs wen I travel.. In a nutshell if you want the spoils of a chain hotel then this may not be the place for you. But if you love authenticity, value for money and the uniqueness of an old buiding then Molitor is the place to book. The staff were also very friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: If noise may bother you then ask for quiet room away from street.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2012

Pros: 1. The hotel is on a quiet street in the middle of Bamberg, close to everything. 2. It has a small parking garage, which is nice for a city where parking lots and spaces are hard to find. 3. It has wi-fi. 4. The staff is really nice and 5. Like most places in Germany, breakfast is included and it was good. 5. Honor bar was a deal at 1 euro for a bottle of great beer. 6. It is literally ten paces from Klosterbrau, one of the many breweries in the area.

Cons: 1. Our room could have used updating/remodeling, but it was clean and quiet. 2. The aforementioned small parking garage means exactly that, 'small'; it is really meant to accomodate teeny tiny little vehicles, but we managed with ours.

We would stay there again because we thought the price was fair for what we got.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Gavle, Sweden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2011

It was time for our biannual beer trip. Found this hotel to be in a good location and with nice welcoming staff.
A fridge in the hallway with local beer and other drinks for 1€ a bottle!
Very good breakfast.
Comfortable rooms of good size.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Russia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2011

We arrived in the hotel after long journey and were rather tired. There were 2 workers at the reception: woman looked as Philipinas or Thailand native and 16-17 years old girl. They were talking with each other with great enthusiasm.After a short break (pfilipinas woman gave me a key and mumbled my room`s number) they renewed their talk with doubled energy. My teenager son and I (with heavy suitcases) were tying to find out our room and had obvious difficulties while reception`s workers kept chatering. It seems to me that pfilipinas woman looked at us with some irritation from time to time - we hindered these nice girls. At last we succeeded ! O-o-o!Good luck! But after 15- 20 minutes o I realized that my husband was absent too long and began to search him. There was nobody on reception,hotel`s doors were locked and my husband could not come in. He was waiting in the nearest bar.By the way,it was raining hard.!As it turned out,first he went with receptionist to look at hotel`s garage .But it did not fit him and he went to nearst garage ( 2 minutes walk). At this time receptionists locked the hotel`s doors and went home. It was - 18.30,though check in time in the hotel is 14:00 - 19:00 ,.and we were the only guests in this rainy evening
I can not say that our suite was bad. It was big and clean. Bads were comfortable and garden was nice, though without much privacy.But... It was not 2-level suite,as I expected - simply 2 rooms .It has not river view and beamed ceiling.There was not promised Wi-Fi. If I could see this suite`s foto,I should not book it. But foto of this suit absent on hotel`s site and on booking.com site

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family

Been to Altstadt-Hotel Molitor? Share your experiences!