“The good and the bad....” 2 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #77 of 201 restaurants in Konstanz
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups, Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Zurich
“The good and the bad....”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

Dining in Il Boccone was a see-saw experience: alternatively impressed and disappointed.
Firstly, the setting: while Bodanstrasse can be a busy, traffic-logged street, the large amount of open space set aside for dining was such that I had no difficulty finding a table far away from the noise and petrol fumes. When the waiter came I asked him what dry white wines they had by the glass. He strongly recommenced one from Lake Garda. Even to the eye the wine was not promising and that was borne out by the taste. It was full of flavour - I would guess a sauvignon blanc - but monochromatic, no finish. Then the starter: bruschette; diced tomatoes & mushrooms on wholemeal bread. Good ingredients but coated with what tasted like ketchup. A sweet, commercial taste that has no place in this (or any!) dish. The main course was unusual: Spinach risotto with caramelised pears. Spinach is one of my favourite vegetables but difficult to prepare. On this occasion the spinach was pretty anonymous; difficult to tell if it was fresh (& overcooked) or frozen. The risotto was infused with pear juice and it was a brilliant success. It was topped with two large segments of caramelised pear. So, in spite of the poor spinach I enjoyed the risotto enormously. There were plenty of waiters and waitresses around but it took so long to catch their attention that I decided to skip dessert and ask for the bill. After about 15 minutes I asked my waiter for the bill and waited another 10 minutes to no avail. Eventually I told a waitress that I had been waiting for an eternity to pay. She told a waiter (more of this anon) who promptly brought the bill. Oroginally, after my main course I had intended to give a good tip. But I was so put out by twiddling my thumbs for 25 minutes that I paid just the exact amount and left feeling quite unhappy. The thing is, I love Konstanz and go there often. But there are so many restaurants. Why return to a restaurant where you leave in a disappointed frame of mind? And one last gripe. There were a lot of young waitresses there, but their job was to set tables and clear them. There were also quite a few waiters - older and they took the orders and brought them to the client. Hence the roundabout way of paying because I had spoken to a waitress rather than a waiter. Is this sort of discrimination acceptable in an "advanced" country like Germany? I presume this unequal division of labour is reflected in their rates of pay? Do management really believe that women are not capable of taking orders or taking money and giving back change? Is the restaurant aware of equality legislation in the European Community?

• Visited July 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

54% Recommend
Zurich, Switzerland
“Good pizzeria”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

very reasonable prices and the food is tasty. worth a visit for an italian night out

Visited May 2012
Wurenlos, Switzerland
“Beautiful restaurant, great food and service!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2011

I made a reservation to celebrate a birthday over there a few days ago. As you can see in the pictures they have some really nice "steps" where you can sit on a have a drink.
The manager, Thomas, contacted me to arrange the details. Upon arrival the highiest steps where reserved, the staff was super friendly and everything went smooth. When we finished our drinks we went up stairs to the restaurant and received the most beautiful table of the restaurant= a round table in the corner surrounded by windows and with a nice lamp above it.
The menu looks really delicious and you would like to try it all but we started with antipasti and then a few of us took lamb, osso bucco and filet steak. The meat was cooked to perfection, it was really tasty! And as a dessert we had an "surprise "plate with candles and their famous chocolate cake and panna cota and creme brulée.
it was super and I will definitelly return!

As you plan your visit ask for the following : when you are coming by car, knwo that they have a private parking place on the roof for guests, so contact the restaurant about that.
Ask for around table upstairs , they are next to the windows, have a nice view but have also a lamp above them with individual light
And try to get them to reserve the"steps" for you to have a drink to start.

it's a really nice place to be and the food was good!

• Visited September 2011
Brussels, Belgium
“stylish interior, exquisite food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2011

It was raining in Konstanz so I didn't look for a long time and went to one of the closest restaurants to my hotel: Il boccone. Well, it actually looked really nice from the outside, so i decided i'd give it a try. Good decision! First of all, it really looks impressive also inside. The first floor is like a smart Italian resto, tables covered with white linens, nice waiters; second floor is like a stylised ALpine chalet, complete with an open fireplace; and it's all connected with undescribable staircase which actually serves as a very stylish café. The whole ensemble looks very very stylish yet relaxed. When it comes to food, no deception either. I took grilled octopus as a started - and it was really wonderful!!! Juicy and soft and delicious. Then i had grilled salmon and panna cotta - also very tasty. Overall, i'd say definitely try this place out.

• Visited September 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Patras , Greece
“Very nice food - Staff occasionally bad!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2011

Il Boccone is located really on one off the most known Konstanz's roads and has a perfect outside look. It's a two store cafe bar restaurant and serves from Breakfast till Dinner.
We had dinner there and the experience could be described as really good if we ignore the waitress' behavior. She gsve us the menus and after bringing the drinks she was standing close to the nearest table and was laughing really loud with the people sitting by. She stood there and was discussing with them for 10 minutes and in the same time she was laughing so loud that only as annoying can be described.

On the other hand her behaviour was really friendly with us and she spoke good english (important for tourists) . She served us the drinks and brought the salad and the apetizers on time. Again on time brought she the main courses.

The food was really good and for example I can mention the perfect grilled salmon. It was at least perfectly grilled and was a really nice combination with my pasta.
I 'ld definetely recomend this restaurant to everybod passing by Constanz!!!

P. S. The restaurants staircase is PERFECT!!!!!

• Visited March 2011