This was our first visit to Beamish Hall and although the hotel and location are lovely some things were disappointing. The visit was booked for a birthday surprise for my husband and I emailed the hotel in advance to request a room with a good view - what we got was a ground floor room with a view of the car park! Not the best start.
The room itself although not spacious was spotlessly clean but I have to agree with Captain Amnesia_248's comments. My husband is also 6 ft tall and struggled with the bed length, bathroom door and shower height so if you are tall -beware.
However it was the noise which spoiled our stay the most. The floorboards creaked which in an old building is to be expected but what we didnt expect was being kept awake most of the night by the racket from other guests in the corridors, the surrounding rooms and above. In particular we did not appreciate the bedroom antics from the couple in the room above us - not very conducive to a restful nights sleep! Perhaps the hotel should hand out ear plugs to guests on arrival....... When we complained the next day the receptionist simply said 'oh yes that's happened to me before and its awful isnt it?' and that was that. Whilst I appreciate that this is something outside their control I felt they could have handled it better.
The breakfast choices were more than ample and the service was efficient and friendly.
We had a short tour of the micro brewery and then dinner in the Stables which I had pre-booked as part of the package and we really enjoyed. The staff there were very friendly and helpful both in the bar and the restaurant. We especially liked the cosy bar area where you could sit and relax beside the wood burner and for the summer there is a nice area outside to sit and enjoy a drink.
Overall we did enjoy our stay and would return but would ask for a high floor and maybe take ear plugs just in case!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This 17th-century listed hall is set in 24 acres of parkland, just 5 miles from the A1(M)Junction 63. Beamish Hall is situated halfway between the City of Durham (8 miles) and the City of Newcastle upon Tyne (8 miles). Beamish Hall is next door to Beamish Museum - The North of England's Open Air Museum. Close to the Gateshead Metro Centre Shopping Centre and many more alternative attractions for you to visit. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Priceline, Expedia, Despegar.com, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your BEST WESTERN Beamish Hall Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Beamish Hall Country Hotel
- Beamish Hall Country Stanley
- BEST WESTERN Beamish Hall Hotel England