“Lovely place, great people, wonderful food.” 5 of 5 stars

Ventana Bay Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   Hgyway # 285, La Ventana 23060, Mexico   |
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in La Ventana
Portland, Oregon
“Lovely place, great people, wonderful food.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

En route home from our week at VBR. My husband would prefer I NOT write a review, so that this place can remain our little secret, but the folks at VBR worked so hard throughout our stay I must tell you all how wonderful this little resort is. If you are considering La Ventana / El Sargento for your getaway - THIS is your place.

Thank you Bill, Dari and Antonio for taking care of all of our needs and making our stay so fabulous, and thank you to the entire staff for the amazing food and loving care. We will be back - hopefully there will still be space available for us.

Liz & Scott

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

I was here to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary and we were both extremely pleased with our choice. The resort is very exotic with beautiful Mexican Casita overlooking the sea of Cortez. The atmosphere was very cool and simply perfect for us.

The staff and owners were extremely nice and courteous. They even made us a special private dinner directly on the beach one night. We took most meals at the resort and everything was good. The village a few good restaurant typically Mexican and very good also.

The sporting equipment available on the premises and included in the different packages offered (Kite,Windsurfing, Kayak ,Mountain bike,etc) is first class and in very good shape. I recommend the excursion in La Paz, to go swim with the whale-shark. My impressions are that this place is perfect for couples and especially for those who kitesurf…… I would not recommend this for the younger crowd or singles looking to party, has there are no particular night life in La Ventana….

We will definitely be back.

Patrick (December 2012)

Room Tip: The rooms are good but the private Casida's (bunbalows) are special and unlike what I have seen...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Novato, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

Had a lovely one week stay at VBR. The setting was idyllic and the food fantastic. Bill provided the kiting equipment and general advice on the area, both of which were sound. We also found Tony to be a most convivial Jack of all Trades - from killer margaritas to fascinating conversation about the history of Mexico. On the day of departure I left my passport behind (teach me to travel without my wife) and Tony tracked us down on the highway to La Paz - 10 miles out of town. Now that's service!

Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Seattle, WA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

My husband and I just spent 7 days at Ventana Bay Resort. It's perfectly located for a windsurfing/kiting vacation. You can launch right in front of the hotel. The owners, Bill and Dari, were the most gracious hosts, they made sure our stay was as comfortable as possible. Bill has a great selection of new kiting and windsurfing gear, and he spent a lot of time with my husband who was learning to kite board. The resort is just a 5 min drive from the restaurants in La Ventana and there is a good small supermarket within a couple min drive (or 15 min walk). Although, we didn't have to buy much food, the breakfasts and lunches at the resort were fresh and delicious and we went out for dinner in Ventana every night, you can get a great fresh Mexican meal for under $20 with a couple of beers. If they are doing dinner at the resort, don't miss it!
We recommend staying at one of the bungalows, you get the privacy, yet still have a beautiful view of the ocean, and a nice patio in the front. Although the rooms in the main building looked very nice too.
Our bungalow was spacious and spotlessly clean, with a small fridge and AC.
Some great day trips - La Paz is 40 min away, and Todos Santos is about 2 hours away.
All in all, Ventana Bay Resort is the best place to stay if you are coming to La Ventana for wind sports or just to relax and explore the Baja.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Carlsbad, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

Last week my girlfriend and I did the 5day/5night fishing package at the Ventana Bay Resort. With three days of fishing (plus breakfast and lunch) included, this trip is starts off as an awesome value. But once you get down there and meet the people and taste your surroundings, the trip becomes priceless. Ventana Bay Resort staffs the warmest, friendliest, most genuine people imaginable. With the fishing package, we were partnered up with an expert captain who is undoubtedly one of the best in the La Paz area, as is his boat and equipment. All this set among the standard picture-perfect beachfront, white sand, crystal clear water, empty hammock- filled paradise we all dream about. My newest priority is to get back down there as soon as possible.

Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Ottawa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2012

My wife and I spent 5 days at Ventana Bay Resort. I'm a kiteboarder, my wife is not so we wanted a place where both would be happy (for kiters--the launch is excellent). From the welcome we received, to the relaxed atmosphere, to the way we connected with others at Ventana Bay--all was perfect. We travel a great deal all over the world so I can say the value is excellent and the atmosphere unparalleled. The owner Bill has put his heart into the place. We considered staying in one of the Casitas, and ended up staying in the main building--both are excellent choices. This is a place for someone who enjoys the outdoors--there isn't a great deal of culture, local population, etc (those are within an hour's drive in La Paz and some adjacent towns) but the pure beauty of the setting, its orientation to sun and sunset, etc. are tremendous. If you're going to La Ventana, this is the place to stay. If/when we go back, we wouldn't consider staying elsewhere.

Room Tip: They're all good! (truly).
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

My wife and I and a few friends visited Ventana Bay Resort in early March. It was my second visit and was even more enjoyable than the first time. The accomodations were excellent, the food delicious and as always, the friendly staff were always pleasant and helpful. Went fishing one morning with three of us on the boat. We caught two nice sized Jurel or Yellowtails which the girls in the restaurant served up in a few different and delightful ways over the next few days. We were treated to a spectacular show one afternoon when a whale passed by just off shore and a short time later we were entertained by a bunch of Dolphins who were leaping out of the water and having a great time for several minutes. What a show! Kiteboarding and windsurfing is very popular in Ventana with it's steady winds which come up every day mid morning and die down after lunch when everyone has had their fill. It's a beautiful sight when fifty or sixty kites are flying and I'm sure even more fun if you've learned the sport and are joining the fun. Took a side trip to La Paz one day and enjoyed the beautiful bay and visited a couple of lovely beaches on the way back. The desert landscape coupled with the mountains and Sea of Cortez have a unique quality that I love. We all felt safe and secure in this beautiful part of the World and will be going back as soon as we can.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Ventana Bay Resort? Share your experiences!