“The Granary, Donnington” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Wren House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Donnington
Wren House
You added Wren House to your Saves list
Donnington GL56 0XZ, England   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Donnington B&B and Inns
Sydney, Australia
“The Granary, Donnington”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2012

We stayed a week at The Granary and had a wonderful time. The self-contained cottage is well-equipped with lots of reading material, a luxurious bathroom & comfy bed & lounge. It was peaceful and cosy. Can't recommend highly enough!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2011

My wife and I visited Wren House in October and had a wonderful weekend...in fact it is hard to believe that the couple who wrote one of the reviews stayed in the same place!
The house is a beautiful Cotswold's house, well located, with lovely bedrooms and very comfortable beds.
We too have travelled round the country and the world and fully understand that bed and breakfast in the United Kingdom is usually what it says i.e. not 24 hour hotel accomodation. As requested, we arrived in the late afternoon and had a fulsome welcome from Kiloran with tea following shortly afterwards. We went out for dinner, slept well and were treated to a great English breakfast in the morning. We left a bit later than the time requested but felt no pressure at all to hold to a deadline.
Overall, we had a lovely weekend greatly helped by Kiloran's excellent hospitality.
We'll certainly be back next time we are in that part of the country.
Andrew and Fran Vallance-Owen

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2011

Our party of four stayed at Wren House for the first two nights of our trip to England and Scotland. It was just perfect for us. Lovely surroundings, everything you could wish for in amenities, as well as a friendly and helpful host. The breakfast was fresh and delicious: it set the bar for the rest of the trip.

• Stayed August 2011
San Jose, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2011

We want to write about our experience at the Wren House on a trip to England to visit my family in June 2011. We stayed 2 nights after our arrival to recover from the time change and long flight from the USA. The Wren House is a beautiful place and the accommodations and food adequate, but the management is way too structured. there is no flexibility, the owner Kiloran has an attitude, and this is not a friendly place to stay.

We have lived for over 15 years in foreign countries around the world, my husband a corporate vice president responsible for 10,000 employees, and stayed in the best and the worst accommodations, but never have we been treated so rudely as at the Wren House. There is a rule book in your room, no food or drinks allowed, don't sleep on the comforters, and are made to feel like you are not welcome and interfering with the owner's schedule and routine. I had to ask for a key to our room and we were asked to leave after breakfast and not return until 4:30pm in the afternoon, as Kiloran needed some down time. All of our personal belongings were in our room with no access for 6 hours both days and we should have carefully read all of the rules before selecting the Wren House. We overlooked the fact that it is stated in "The Rules" that you have to leave the Wren house at 10:30am and can not return back until 4:30pm.

I am certain we would not have stayed in our small room all day and it would be much more appropriate to have the option to sit in the garden, sit in the living room and read, go for a walk, go exploring, or maybe take a needed rest after such a long trip. I don't understand why we were not given a key to our room and a key to the front door, unless we were not welcome at the Wren House. We certainly did not fly all the way from the USA to create a problem at the Wren House or take something that did not belong to us. The living room was not shown to us, the door was shut, and we had to discover this room on our own. We had very strong vibes from the owner that we were interfering with her schedule and really did not feel comfortable staying there.

We were absolutely informed by Kiloran that the Wren House is only a "Bed and a Breakfast" and no more. After breakfast you have to leave even though all your personal belongings can stay!! I was also informed that this is how all English bed and breakfasts are run in England. We have stayed in many bed and breakfast accommodations over the years in England and never encountered an establishment with these kind of rules.

We would never recommend the Wren House to our friends and my English family was quite embarrassed that we had such an experience in my homeland of England. We would rather have stayed in a less structured environment while on holiday and had the flexibility to come and go when needed. We want to inform future guests about all "The Rules" of the Wren House, so you won't be upset if you should stay there.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2011

If you're looking for a secluded oasis in the Cotswolds, you could do no better than The Wren House. Situated only a hop away from Stratford-Upon-Avon, this beautiful stone cottage, with one of the prettiest English gardens I know, offers a tranquil oasis even in high season. You can walk to The Fox Inn in Broadwell Village for a meal and a Donnington ale from the local brewery, and with footpaths nearby, you can enjoy a car-less day if you so desire. There are many single lane country roads in the area, which were practically car free even on the week-end. The hostess provides an excellent English country breakfast which can either be enjoyed in the pleasant kitchen or on a terrace overlooking the garden. Two happy labradors, a mother and her pup, supplied
furry entertainment, and the house is well stocked with books to read if the one you brought proves less enjoyable than you expected. There are also plenty of guide books
that suggest other footpaths a short car ride away.

Room Tip: The Pink Room overlooks the garden.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2011

Wonderful B&B. The hostess, Kiloran, is a gracious host. Her cottage is totally delightful. Her breakfasts are out of this world (I gorged myself on her homemade marmalade and bought some to take home with me for both myself and in-laws). I stayed here when I was pregant with my daughter - Kiloran could not have been more hospitable and made sure I was very well fed. A truly lovely find.

Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Uckfield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2011

Having read the reviews on trip advisor about Wren House I couldn't wait to get there, some of the reviews are amazing. Perhaps I missed something, but I didn't find it so amazing. The look of house, the garden and location are really great - I have travelled to the Cotswolds for the past 10 years and stay in B&Bs each time so this one sounded amazing. I stayed in the twin room, there was no en-suite with it, as we were the only guests that weekend we could have been offered the top floor which can be a twin room and has en-suite. This room and breakfast cost £110 for one night so I was really expecting the works - my every need taken care of etc etc - absolutely no food in the rooms - there was no fresh milk outside our door, as promised in the mornings. We had a long day and wanted to totally relax in our room and maybe watch the television. There was no television just a transistor radio - it would have been nice to have the choice. This B&B has glowing reviews don't forget, so I consoled myself that I would get a breakfast which was out of this world. I was so disappointed as it was so overcooked. The next morning it was nearly the same - there wasn't anything great about it - for the price I would have expected a little more effort instead of fried egg, sausage, bacon. Kiloran wasn't the great host I imagined - she was prickly, she almost forgot to say good morning to me - I was completely amazed, she didn't invite any conversation about my stay - she is the host after all. Not worth the money - It promised so much - and delivered very little.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family

Been to Wren House? Share your experiences!