“A real pleasure in this hidden treasure!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Ashill
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: McTaggarts is a family run pub andrestaurant set in the heart of the pretty Norfolk village of Ashill.We offer both an a la carte and a traditional bar menu.
Dublin, Ireland
“A real pleasure in this hidden treasure!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

Booked a stay in McTaggarts online, and really did not know what to expect. But was delighted to find that we really could not have hoped for a better place to stay for the weekend. Family-run bar and restaurant, and the food (during our stay we had bar-food, eat in the restaurant, and breakfast on both mornings) was genuinely excellent - and great value. The whole weekend stay was excellent and great value. In my travels I have rarely come across better! Well done to all the gang there!

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Guildford, United Kingdom
“Fantastic Find!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

Whilst working in the area we found we needed a place to stay and found Mc Taggarts, and what a find! very friendly family run establishment, food best i have had in a while, breakfast best i have ever had! anything you want just ask!
The Recent refit is at no expense spared, all fittings in Pub and rooms and furniture top Quality which gives the place a quality feeling at reasonable price.

Nice place, nice people, nice experience, highly recommended and if we have any more work in the area i am sure we will be staying there!

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Norwich, United Kingdom
“great food in the country”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

Set in a very rural location, this surprisingly modern looking, up market, family run restaurant & bar with the added attraction of accomodation serves great food. It is reasonably priced and excellent value for money. The pensioners lunch on a Wed is fantastic! They make groups and parties feel special and givew very good service. Well worth a visit.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom
“Modern but....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013 via mobile

Visited with my father who is 87. We popped in for a drink one night as he had mentioned he had the Wednesday pensioner meal and had been quite happy. I have been driving past this pub for many years and it has only been renovated in the past few years, before that it was an eyesore. You can't legislate for all tastes but for me the place was clean and very modern but lacked any character. I cannot comment on food but my father as impressed as things came in small containers and he could help himself from each. The dining area was smart and tables laid well. The leather chairs in the bar were comfy. The floors are wooden and I think a few more plants would enhance the place. I agree wholly with another comment - there is a ver serious problem with the sloping walk from the car park. Given that older folk are encouraged to attend some will potentially fall. I nearly lost my footing a young 62 year old! Will be going again to try food and report again

Visited March 2013
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Could do better!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

I moved house to live in the village of Ashill just over a year ago, and was delighted to find a modern up to date pub (for a change) in a Norfolk village, such a shame that the service and attitude of the staff does not match up to the surroundings.
I am a great believer in in supporting local business, shame they do not think the same of their customers!
I have had good food, ok food and lastly a salmon dish that contained only one very tiny piece of salmon, I left most of it when the man collected the dishes I told him of my dissapointment with the meal, that was it as far as I was concerned. When I paid for the meal etc the landlady took payment and said to me in a very terse manner that she had not charged for the meal that I had as I had complained to her husband about it, I felt that it was my fault and that I should have eaten it and kept my thoughts to myself.
Every Chef has an off day I guess, all she had to say was sorry hope we do better next time. Might go back again but not for the warm welcome will go to the Bell at Saham Toney for that!

• Visited January 2013