“Best hostel in Melbourne” 5 of 5 stars

You added Back of Chapel Backpackers to your Saves list
Back of Chapel Backpackers
50 Green St, Windsor, Stonnington, Victoria 3181, Australia   |
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
“Best hostel in Melbourne”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

Me and my boyfriend stayed here for a month whilst we worked in Melbourne and were so sad to leave. The people you meet are so friendly and chilled and the hostel itself is lovely. Really well managed, brilliant free breakfast and great location! Perfect place to explore chapel street. Definitely the best place to stay in melbourne!

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
BackOfchapel, Manager at Back of Chapel Backpackers, responded to this review, May 14, 2014
Hi Gabz,

Thank you so much for posting a review for Back of Chapel. We absolutely love your title as well!
Back of Chapel has been trying to improve every day and there has been many upgrades since you left. We hope to get some more done before the summer season picks up again.

We hope you enjoy the rest of your travels around Australia.

thanks again,

Aaron

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

I have been staying here since the middle of June this year.my intention was to stay a month but found myself still here 4 months later.Aaron and Josh are very accommodating if you need help with anything.It is just off Chapel St which has all the cafes,bars and restaurants at your door step.Good environment and people come through here and make it feel more like a home than a hostel.

• Stayed October 2013
Hi Ross,

Thanks for taking your time to post a review.
It was great having you as a guest for the duration of your stay. Many guests we have end up staying for longer than expected just like your situation.
we hope the rest of your travels were just as fun as your time staying here.

all the best,

Aaron and Josh.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013 via mobile

I recently relocated to Melbourne and stayed here for 10 days, really quiet as backpackers go, had a private room with a big comfy bed, the location is great, the staff were helpful and friendly. It's more of a big share house than a backpackers.

• Stayed September 2013
Hi Fakecarl,

Thank you for posting a review for Back of Chapel. Our guests continually say that one of the greatest features is that we are like more of a big share house with a homely feel. We hope that the rest of your time in Melbourne was fantastic.

Thanks again,

5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

Back of chapel is a very good hostel, it's cheap and the location is perfect, cause you are near to lot of bars, restaurants, clothes chop and supermarket. it's an hostel with a human size, so you feel comfortable. The rooms are clean and you have a balcony :). Shower and also good.
I think it's the best hostel if we compare price and quality.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi Alex M,

Thanks for taking your time to post a review for Back Of Chapel Backpackers. We think the Balconies for the 4 bed dorms and private rooms are awesome too!
We hope you have some more fun and exciting travels after your time with us.

Thanks again,

5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013 via mobile

I arrived in Melbourne in June and stayed here till October.Its easily the best hostel I've stayed in during my two years stay in Australia.The location on chapel street is perfect.I was working during the week and had no problems with noise.Its always clean with great showers and laundry services.It has a homely feel to it as you get to know the other people staying here due to its size.Aaron and josh are very helpful and are always looking to improve.If I ever return to Melbourne ill be definitely returning.

• Stayed October 2013
BackOfchapel, Manager at Back of Chapel Backpackers, responded to this review, February 27, 2014
Thanks for posting your review. That's great to hear that we are your favorite hostel in your 2 years of travelling around Australia. If you do come back I'm sure you will see and improvement from when you checked out. safe travels!
Wellington, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

I booked in for two weeks after moving to Melbourne to look for work at the end of July and I'm only now about to leave to continue my travels. I'll actually be a bit gutted to depart because of the risk my next port of call might not be anywhere near as cool!

There are a few people who have lived there for a while (working and/or studying) so there is a relaxed, domestic vibe at times which I think is quite nice - a bit of a sanctuary rather than it just be a high turnover/full blown party all the time which is what I imagine it to be like at some of the bigger chain hostels. I put my washing out on the line out the back the other day and then sat out the back in the sun with a coffee and played guitar. It was really nice :). That's not to say people don't enjoy their big nights in/out - it's full of vibrant, young travelers and close to so many bars that it's kind of unavoidable.

If I need accommodation when I come back to Melbourne I would definitely put this place at the top of my list. Josh, Aaron and Kelly have all been really lovely to deal with and they maintain very high standards. On the whole pretty much everyone I've met while I've been there has been really considerate as well which is great.

Also, if you're coming for work they have a job board which I know a number of people (including myself) have picked up a range of work from.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Thanks for writing such an informative review. It shows that we are a backpacker for short term guests. We try and make Back of Chapel comfortable and affordable and because of this guests keep on extending their reservations. If you do come back we would be more than happy to have you here. safe travels,
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013 via mobile

An amazing hostel with very helpful staff and a great atmosphere. Very close to all the excitement, bars, cafes and shops of Chapel Street. Also close to good transport links to the CBD and other areas.

• Stayed August 2013
BackOfchapel, Manager at Back of Chapel Backpackers, responded to this review, February 26, 2014
Thanks for posting your review. Chapel st is fantastic and we are close to trams and trains to get to the city or other areas.

Been to Back of Chapel Backpackers? Share your experiences!